• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Team recruitment-Space Orcs Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Space Orcs Campaign-Team Recruitment

This is the official recruitment thread for my upcoming project.
The original idea factory thread can be found here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/idea-factory-462/space-orcs-campaign-151926/#post1398628

I am in need of skilled modders with enough interest in this project to spend some of their spare time to work on it. Below is a list of the positions in the team and a short overview of what you should be able to do if you want one of the posts.

General Requirements: One of the big Instant Messaging Clients (MSN, ICQ, XMPP etc.), I'll probably just choose the one most people have. Also, having Skype would be a big plus. You can legally get all of the Instant Messengers and Skype for free, so if you don't have either, it's not too much trouble.

Note that I'll give more people the possibilty to join the project if there is the need for it and a high enough demand exists.

Project Lead

foo_sharp

As I've recieved the question what I am actually going to do myself in this project here's a short overview of my duties:
I am writing the story, as mentioned below, Gaisler and The World Is Flat help me deepen the plot, creating side stories and so on.
I am responsible for coordinating the team and keeping it together.
I am doing the basic layout of all maps to give the terrainers a clue of how the map is supposed to look in the end.
I am, obviously, as part of the writer position, coordinating the cinematics of the campaign.
I am also organising a webside for the project in case the support for the project grows stronger.

I might have forgotten something, if I remember anthing I'll add it.
I hope this gives you a clearer view of what I'm going to do although these things are in my opinion self-explanatory :wink:

1.) Story Writing

Lead Writer: foo_sharp
Additional Writers: gaisler, The World Is Flat
Current Status: All Positions taken

2.) Modelers

Position 1: General Frank
Position 2: <empty>
Part-time position: Devine

I am going to need several unit models, a couple of effects and some doodads, it is essential that these areas are covered by the two modelers, meaning that they together can do all of these model types.
An example of your previous work or a small exemplary piece of work made for this application is required.

Current Status: 1 position left

3.) Terrainers

Position 1: leet.firefox
Position 2: [Big Dub]
Part-time position 1: -Kobas-
Part-time position 2: Keiji

Terrainers will need to be able to do playable terrains with a semi-realistic touch, meaning no blizzard cliffs and probably quite a bit of custom environment doodads. An example of your previous work or a small exemplary piece of work made for this application is required.

Current Status: 1 Position left

4.) Triggerers

Position 1: YourNameHere
Part-time position 1: <empty>
Part-time position 2: Illidan(Evil)X
Part-time position 3: baassee

I need at least one core team triggerer able to do advanced systems like a projectile/cover system, artillery etc. in case the part-time triggerers have to drop out. In addition to that I need someone to trigger all the quests and events during the game and to possibly do some spells. If one person alone meets these requirements, the second position will still be open for application. An example of your previous work or a small exemplary piece of work made for this application is required.

Current Status: 1 core team position taken

5.) Cinematics

Position 1: Vengeancekael

People interested in doing cinematics need to be able to do smooth and advanced camera movements and have to be able to time multiple advanced actions ingame (e.g. bomber flying over camera, dropping bombs, camera shakes etc). An example of your previous work or a small exemplary piece of work made for this application is required.

Current Status: 1 core team position taken

6.) 2D-Art

This position requires of you to be able to do loading screens/icons and possibly minimap-previews (not certain yet).

Position 1: <empty>
Part-time position 1: Big Dub

Current Status: No core team positions taken

7.) Sound Manager

I mainly need the person wanting this job to have access to a large variety of sounds/musical pieces that can be used in the campaign for cinematics and ingame sounds (explosions, engine humms, dramatic music for a cinematic).
As for voice acting: It isn't planned. It's too unlikely to get enough good voice actors for a full campaign.

Position 1: Shivarra

Current Status: Position taken

Final Notes: If you are of the opinion that I missed any of the vital positions or that any of the positions are under/overstaffed please tell me so. The same goes for any spelling mistakes and other mistakes in the post.

Last edited:
Level 1
I'd be interested in doing either cinematics or sounds. Since the intro cinematic should fit the music and vice versa I would do a part of both. I don't have a cinematic example for you since I haven't done that much but if you want i can make you something with a some of the things you wnt implemented.
shiv

Level 5
I'd be interested in doing either cinematics or sounds. Since the intro cinematic should fit the music and vice versa I would do a part of both. I don't have a cinematic example for you since I haven't done that much but if you want i can make you something with a some of the things you wnt implemented.
shiv

Sounds fine to me. Send me some example of your skills and if meets my expectations you can consider yourself part of the team.

Level 4
I would like to be a trigger, but I have no idea how to do projectiles/physics, and I still haven't quite sussed out quests.

Still, I'm all good for any sort of 'trigger' spell, provided it's not super arcane or gratuitously complicated.

And I think you may have missed out an important position: the race/s themselves, unless you already have that sorted.
I'm talking about all the units, heroes, buildings (including their costs and stats), tech trees, researches/upgrades, spells etc etc.
(I will gladly fill that position if you want me to.)

I can also be a contingency writer (in case one of your writers needs to drop out, as unlikely as that may be) and I can write dialog for cinematics and in-game cutscenes too.

I can fill the terrainer position too if need be.
And I have what can only be discribed as an assload of score music. From games and movies, but chances are anyone recognising them immediately is unlikely.

(Wow, this is turning out to be a large CV >.>)
If you need examples of any of the above stuff, all you need to do is ask.
Delivery time 2-4 days.

Level 5
I would like to be a trigger, but I have no idea how to do projectiles/physics, and I still haven't quite sussed out quests.

Still, I'm all good for any sort of 'trigger' spell, provided it's not super arcane or gratuitously complicated.

And I think you may have missed out an important position: the race/s themselves, unless you already have that sorted.
I'm talking about all the units, heroes, buildings (including their costs and stats), tech trees, researches/upgrades, spells etc etc.
(I will gladly fill that position if you want me to.)

I can also be a contingency writer (in case one of your writers needs to drop out, as unlikely as that may be) and I can write dialog for cinematics and in-game cutscenes too.

I can fill the terrainer position too if need be.
And I have what can only be discribed as an assload of score music. From games and movies, but chances are anyone recognising them immediately is unlikely.

(Wow, this is turning out to be a large CV >.>)
If you need examples of any of the above stuff, all you need to do is ask.
Delivery time 2-4 days.

First of all, thanks for the offer. As for the race/unit part, that's mostly sorted out already and belongs to the duties of the writers, the same applies for dialogues.
If you want to participate in the project in any of the other ways you mentioned, just tell me which position you would like to have and send me proof to confirm you're actually able to do that.
I am looking forward to your reply.

Level 4
Alrighty then!

My first terrain... showcase? Well, not really.
First of two. The second one will be a lot more 'space orc'. :)

The second one will also include a few 'trigger-spells' as well, so that one'll have a double purpouse.

In the meantime though, here's the first one.

Attachments

• Terraintest.w3x
    36.2 KB · Views: 151
Level 5
Thanks for your post.
As for the terrain, it doesn't look bad, but in its current form it's pretty basic.
Also, the game was running slower than usual when I played your map, but I don't know what migh have caused that.
For your second terrain, I would suggest the use of a couple of custom doodads (all you need can be found in UTM), and a more "advanced" setting, like mountains, waterfalls, jungle stuff and so on as the first half of the campaign is situated on a jungle planet.
Ultimately, it's your choice what setting you choose, just show me a more complicated kind of terrain that still looks good and you're on your way to becoming part of the team :wink:

Level 4
Thanks for your post.
As for the terrain, it doesn't look bad, but in its current form it's pretty basic.
Also, the game was running slower than usual when I played your map, but I don't know what migh have caused that.
For your second terrain, I would suggest the use of a couple of custom doodads (all you need can be found in UTM), and a more "advanced" setting, like mountains, waterfalls, jungle stuff and so on as the first half of the campaign is situated on a jungle planet.
Ultimately, it's your choice what setting you choose, just show me a more complicated kind of terrain that still looks good and you're on your way to becoming part of the team :wink:

Awesome to hear that, Foo.
It could be the massive amount of doodads. I'll try to cut them down on the next map.
Working on a forest-y type map now, complete with river, camp, and mountainy terrain bordering the map.

Would you prefer Space Orcs or do you not care?

Level 5
Awesome to hear that, Foo.
It could be the massive amount of doodads. I'll try to cut them down on the next map.
Working on a forest-y type map now, complete with river, camp, and mountainy terrain bordering the map.

Would you prefer Space Orcs or do you not care?

Well, you could try to go for a Space Orcs Outpost in the jungle. I am currently planning to use the Warcraft versions of the Terrain-buildings from Starcraft as the Space Orcs Buildings in lack of better models, so if you can do that it would probably be more helpful than just a jungle, but it's not absolutely necessary as of now.

Level 4
Cool. I'll see what I can do.

:: Update ::
Ok, so it seems every Starcraft building from the Hive doesn't want to work for me.
So, that set me back about a day trying in vain to get the damn thing to work.

I've been away for a few days, so I haven't been able to work on it. Should be up by monday.

Last edited:
Level 5
Request: May i be a random bird critter ?
I can give u ideas if u want :p

Request granted, you've been implemented as a bird in one of the maps. I'm not going to tell you in which one though, you'll have to find that out by yourself :wink:

Me! I would like to be the modeller guy seeing that this might be based on my stuff.^^

You're in, welcome to the team :thumbs_up:

Level 4
Woah! Looks like we've got a team!

Here's the forest-type map. It's not glimmering polished, but I think it's pretty good. You've got:
- Waterfall
- River
- Rough(ish) terrain
- Tree covered mountains
- Dialog (for a campaign sort of feel)
- One trigger spell (But I think it's so damn clever it doesn't need any others taking away it's shine :D)
- etc, etc.

I tried my best with the waterfall. They're real bastards.

Attachments

• Terraintest2.w3x
    539.2 KB · Views: 86
Level 5
Woah! Looks like we've got a team!

Here's the forest-type map. It's not glimmering polished, but I think it's pretty good. You've got:
- Waterfall
- River
- Rough(ish) terrain
- Tree covered mountains
- Dialog (for a campaign sort of feel)
- One trigger spell (But I think it's so damn clever it doesn't need any others taking away it's shine :D)
- etc, etc.

I tried my best with the waterfall. They're real bastards.

It's a lot better than the first map, but it still has some flaws.
There were two bugs I found: When you reach the blocked path (which you can easily clear by shooting the boxes) and then move into the box which contains the flare, the first dialog starts over and it gets really confusing.
Also, when i used the flare, the dropship didn't come.
As for the terrain, as mentioned above, it's better than the first one, but it still feels too much like a standard melee-map to me.
If you have the patience to do so, here is a link to a tutorial which shows, how to do forests: forest-tutorial I have always been quite fond of the style of the last pictures, and i am aiming the jungle planet from the first half of the campaign to have a similar look. You can find the models used in the tutorial in the Ultimate Terraining Map which can be found here. There also is a newer version out there, but i haven't tried that yet and everything you need is in there. As for waterfalls, they are mostly either used to form rivers without having to use blizzard cliffs, or put at edges of the map/certain areas, so you can't completely see where they originate from which makes them look a lot better.
To sum up: You've definitely improved, but i'd like you to do a one last ("tutorial-styled") map, i'm sorry for the inconvenience :grin:

Level 4
All good, Foo. If you said it was perfect, I'd be worried :D

I should have made all those barricades invulnerable. And I should have made the whole flare thing a lot better too.

Checking out those links now. You will have the new (and better) map by Thursday.

:: Update ::

*lets put a long breath*
That's quite a challange, replicating that. Well, not so much replicating, but doing the map as the same style as.

I'm trying to repress the urge to say 'Don't ask for much, do ya?!', because I like to think I'm more professional that that.

It's like going from Minecraft to Garry's Mod, or from Go-Carts to Formula 1 Racing.
May take me a day or so to get used to the new editor.

Last edited:
Level 1
Ok I'm really sorry it took so long but here's the example cinematic.
Criticizm is aknowledged about non smooth camera sequences, and that you can actually see the end of the level (I didn't put that much work into it even though I used the story as kind of a background theme with small differences. mainly it should just show that I actually mastered basic cinematic control.). Since I'm not that experienced with cinematics (real hard to see right^^) maybe you can put me in a part-time position there.

I would be interested in the sound editor position though since I have a huge amount of music which can be implemented (ie immediate music, x-ray dog, film scores of movies ranging from lord of the rings to resident evil). I also do a lot of work with cutting and filtering music for myself so I could even cut out sounds from movies or clips to implement them making me as I believe a valuable asset to the team.

Seeing as how cinematics should really be timed to music I think a part-time position would help me communicate though if you believe it'd work without that just put me into sounds.

Attachments

• test2.w3x
    6.7 MB · Views: 85
Level 5
Ok I'm really sorry it took so long but here's the example cinematic.
Criticizm is aknowledged about non smooth camera sequences, and that you can actually see the end of the level (I didn't put that much work into it even though I used the story as kind of a background theme with small differences. mainly it should just show that I actually mastered basic cinematic control.). Since I'm not that experienced with cinematics (real hard to see right^^) maybe you can put me in a part-time position there.

I would be interested in the sound editor position though since I have a huge amount of music which can be implemented (ie immediate music, x-ray dog, film scores of movies ranging from lord of the rings to resident evil). I also do a lot of work with cutting and filtering music for myself so I could even cut out sounds from movies or clips to implement them making me as I believe a valuable asset to the team.

Seeing as how cinematics should really be timed to music I think a part-time position would help me communicate though if you believe it'd work without that just put me into sounds.

Well, your cinematic was-unique. You're right by saying you still need to improve your skills in that sector (although it was not completely bad, but there is certainly room for improvement). As for the sound part, I'll send you a list of music themes/sounds (e.g. 1min ambient, 2 min dramatic scene, artillery sounds) and let you find fitting sounds/music. If you can do that, you'll get the sound artist position.

May take me a day or so to get used to the new editor.

Take your time :wink:

Level 4
One from me - I've got a ton of work ahead of me (preparing for NCEA exams) but still slowly getting through my map.
Pretty much done the land, just need to make it look good and add some gameplay.

Level 5
So, any updates?

One from me - I've got a ton of work ahead of me (preparing for NCEA exams) but still slowly getting through my map.
Pretty much done the land, just need to make it look good and add some gameplay.

I upgraded my PC this friday and had some problems getting everything set up right, it's fixed now though :wink:
As for updates, I'm writing the last bits of the story (wanted to be done by now, but, as I've said I couldn't use my computer) and will send the finished .pdf to the other writers. They'll then give me feedback on it and after that, all current members of the project will receive it (I'm going to need e-mail addresses for that, doesn't matter whether it's your "real" or a "trash" one).
I will then discuss the feasibility of the elements of the campaign with the people who are going to work on them (models, cinematics, terrain etc.) and as soon as that is done, we're set to go if nothing else gets in the way.

I upgraded my PC this friday and had some problems getting everything set up right, it's fixed now though :wink:
As for updates, I'm writing the last bits of the story (wanted to be done by now, but, as I've said I couldn't use my computer) and will send the finished .pdf to the other writers. They'll then give me feedback on it and after that, all current members of the project will receive it (I'm going to need e-mail addresses for that, doesn't matter whether it's your "real" or a "trash" one).
I will then discuss the feasibility of the elements of the campaign with the people who are going to work on them (models, cinematics, terrain etc.) and as soon as that is done, we're set to go if nothing else gets in the way.
Ok then, i'll be waiting:)

Last edited:
Level 16
I can do Mini-Map Preview (That and concept Arts Only). Too bad I can't do textures and Icons. Well, I can be a helper as a part-time 2D-Artist and an Idea Factory anyway.

Level 4
I may be interested in a Terrainer position. Although I don't have any maps released, I'm not much into that triggers and all that coding, but I love to terrain maps, I have a lot of draft maps of though. One of a defensive-type, you control a hero and defend incoming wave of mobs, but I never finished it. But it was set on an island, which I like how it came out. Reply if you got news :)

Level 5
*part time modeler*

I have the cake terrain, yes.

Added you to the list.

I can do Mini-Map Preview (That and concept Arts Only). Too bad I can't do textures and Icons. Well, I can be a helper as a part-time 2D-Artist and an Idea Factory anyway.

Send me some example of your work and I'll add you as part-time 2D-Artist if it's good enough :wink:

I may be interested in a Terrainer position. Although I don't have any maps released, I'm not much into that triggers and all that coding, but I love to terrain maps, I have a lot of draft maps of though. One of a defensive-type, you control a hero and defend incoming wave of mobs, but I never finished it. But it was set on an island, which I like how it came out. Reply if you got news :)

Same applies to you, I need an exemplary piece of work. Send one to me and I can give you further details :wink:

p.s.: Story is finished and has been sent to the other writers for feedback and suggestions.

Last edited:
Hi I'm n00b at the triggers and I want to learn more about it. I think this team is perfect for me. If you can count me in triggerers.

P.S. I have skype and Microsoft messenger
I think you need to be good with triggers, in order to join the team. But if you would like to learn more, just read these tutorials.

Level 5
Seems like there was a lot going on in this thread today :wink:

As Vengeancekael already mentioned, the concept art was okay, but the terrain definitely needs more work. As of now, it lacks tile variation, height variation and better doodad placement. Here is a good tutorial on designing forests. Most probably, two maps of the campaign will use a style similar to this one, so if you're interested in a terrainer position (which I didn't think you were, as you only mentioned interest in the 2D-Art position) you could try doing a terrain the way described in the post.
I am uncertain whether mini-map previews will be needed, as I prefer the thought of using loading-screens without them, but I'll have to see about that, I won't know how soon I can say this for certain.

Hey Mate I think you should try something like Cruiser Command in the way you 'travel' in-between planets. looking forward to when this is finished

Here's a Link if you are a tiny bit interested
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...146437/?prev=search=Battlecruiser&d=list&r=20

I am also a bit interested in being a terrainer

The travel-idea doesn't fit into the campaign's concept, thanks for the suggestion though. If you're interested in a terrainer position, I'd need some exemplary piece of work as stated in the first post.

Hi I'm n00b at the triggers and I want to learn more about it. I think this team is perfect for me. If you can count me in triggerers.

P.S. I have skype and Microsoft messenger

I appreciate your gesture, but projects of this size aren't ideal for beginners as they tend to be of heavy complexity and are therefore not suited for people starting from scratch, it is more expedient to start with the basics. If you're really interested in a triggerer position though, you could work through the tutorials Vengeancekael gave you the link to. If you feel up to doing that you might yet have a chance of getting into the team :thumbs_up:

Vengeancekael, good reply man. Rep for you!

Please do not post here, unless you have something to contribute (just give him the rep without posting next time).

Level 16
Seems like there was a lot going on in this thread today :wink:

As Vengeancekael already mentioned, the concept art was okay, but the terrain definitely needs more work. As of now, it lacks tile variation, height variation and better doodad placement. Here is a good tutorial on designing forests. Most probably, two maps of the campaign will use a style similar to this one, so if you're interested in a terrainer position (which I didn't think you were, as you only mentioned interest in the 2D-Art position) you could try doing a terrain the way described in the post.
I am uncertain whether mini-map previews will be needed, as I prefer the thought of using loading-screens without them, but I'll have to see about that, I won't know how soon I can say this for certain.

Hmm. Actually, the Terrain is a village. The tile variation is my fault because I've totally forgotten about that. Maybe I will be interested. BUT. Don't give me a Main Terrainer position.

Status
Not open for further replies.