• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauer's Models 2.0

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
You recently wanted a suggestion on what character to model, so that's why I am gonna put this here. I am aware that there are million things that you could do, because of all those awesome characters, but I'd suggest going for a Tauren. Any Tauren character. The Hive lacks many good Tauren models, so I'd die to see your godlike skills put into such a character. Just wanted to throw that out. *Secretly hopes you never stop making badass models*.

Level 39
Mannnn, that butt :D

Hehe, dat ass :p

You recently wanted a suggestion on what character to model, so that's why I am gonna put this here. I am aware that there are million things that you could do, because of all those awesome characters, but I'd suggest going for a Tauren. Any Tauren character. The Hive lacks many good Tauren models, so I'd die to see your godlike skills put into such a character. Just wanted to throw that out. *Secretly hopes you never stop making badass models*.

Hmm, I have to admit.. I don't really like Tauren :p I'm quite picky when it comes to what models I make. I really have to like a character if I'm going to make a model. So I don't really see myself making a Tauren model, unless there's a character I really love.

Okay, update on the mesh:

attachment.php

I have a bit of a problem with the scarf. I can't really decide on wether I want to make a scarf that covers her mouth, like the concept, or not. Adding it would make it closer the original concept but it would also make the portrait a bit boring because she wouldn't have any mouth movements. Then again, that would also mean that she would be a bit easier to animate. Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Wireframe shots:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome :)

Attachments

• mesh3.gif
    mesh3.gif
    5.3 MB · Views: 694
  • mesh4.gif
    mesh4.gif
    5.9 MB · Views: 732
  • mesh5.gif
    mesh5.gif
    6 MB · Views: 717
Last edited:
Level 39
Sorry for the lack of updates lately guys. I've been a bit busy, I've been helping a buddy paint his flat over the weekend. Also got sucked in by Banshee last week, so I've been binging that piece of absurd over-the-top badassery as well :p Seriously surprised by it, one of the best shows on right now.

Anyway, haven't done much with the texture yet, started on the face:

attachment.php

Attachments

• garona_01.png
    garona_01.png
    487.5 KB · Views: 1,148
Level 9
Hrm...
I think what may be the problem with her face right now are some slight miscalculations on angle and proportion. Looking closely at the concept art, you'll notice the bangs really angle out and frame the face, at least from that front-on perception. I think you rounded her cheeks out a bit too much, kinda throwing off that slim, angular look.

Plus, the lines down her face, going off her nose. In the picture, they slant out diagonally quite a bit, while your model has them going straight down. This gives her much more of and odd, jowly look then the fierce snarl she has going on in the concept.

On another note, it may just be me but I find the pupils a little odd, probably because all the orcs in WCIII don't have them. XD Personally, I would like to see her eyes have the typical, blank white look, with maybe a soft, blue/purple glow. This might make her more resemblent of in-game orcs while keeping her unique. Just my two cents, though.

Other than that, looking great, man! Pretty damn spot-on, as always! ^.^

Level 39
Alright guys, as you've probably noticed, progress on Garona has come to a bit of a halt. Been quite busy lately, was out of town to celebrate Chinese New Year. Back now though, but I've been spending the last couple of days registering at my University. I'm starting classes on Monday. So I'm gonna have less spare time from now on.
I might be taking a hiatus from WC3 modeling to focus on studies. But you all know me, I might take breaks once in a while but I'll always come back. So Garona will probably not be finished any time soon, but she will one day.

I'll do what I can to still be somewhat active here.

Level 39
Hey guys. Had to take a small break from the machinima project, only rigging/animating makes me go crazy. I have texturing/modeling withdrawals! :p

Anyway, Durotan WIP:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Modeling phase is pretty much done. Little else I can do for it I think. Still needs a weapon of course.

I'll probably get back to Garona after I finish this one, unless the machinima takes up all my time. And of course studies :/
Anyway, thoughts so far?

Attachments

• wip1.png
    wip1.png
    807.2 KB · Views: 893
  • wip2.png
    wip2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 698
Level 39
This is shaping up to be way too cool to be true. Glad you are back (for awhile? :p ). Hoping for green + brown versions! Cheers!

Hehe yeah, I know I come and go a lot. I never really leave though, just take breaks ;)
Yeah, I'll make green and brown version. Not sure which one to make first though.

Woah thats just amazing man :) though after making this one, can I sugggest you make an Ogre or a mounted model? Might be a good challenge for you :)

Hmm, maybe. I usually keep to lore characters so if I was to make an ogre it'd probably be Cho'Gall or Dentarg.
A mounted Durotan is a possibility though.

Was in a modeling mood so I meshed out a Velen model as well:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• wip1.png
    wip1.png
    572.5 KB · Views: 939
  • wip2.png
    wip2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 933
Level 49
Wow. Incredible work, both on Durotan and on Velen. It's great to see you making more stuff! Can't wait to see them finished up. :)

I would love to see a Cho'gall model from you. Preferably something that isn't just the generic WC2 mage concept with a hood. I'm sure there's some clever or interesting things you could do to make an Ogre seem more like a mage, and any animations which aren't the default Ogre's would be awesome to see.

Level 18
Was in a modeling mood so I meshed out a Velen model as well:

attachment.php

attachment.php

:goblin_wtf::goblin_jawdrop: great work ! if he can comes out earlier , i wont do this . actually i had made a Velen too in Sunday . and i need ur permission to edit a new Kargath base on ur Grom .
this time I will give the meshes to someone which can give them good animations . i was really busy and i will take much time if i do it by myself .
and i wish u could finish all of ur works this time . all of them are great .:thumbs_up:

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150512230510.png
    20150512230510.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 20150512230742.png
    20150512230742.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 1,393
  • 20150512230424.png
    20150512230424.png
    119.6 KB · Views: 1,153
  • 20150512230337.png
    20150512230337.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 871
Last edited:
Level 39
:goblin_wtf::goblin_jawdrop: great work ! if he can comes out earlier , i wont do this . actually i had made a Velen too in Sunday . and i need ur permission to edit a new Kargath base on ur Grom .
this time I will give the meshes to someone which can give them good animations . i was really busy and i will take much time if i do it by myself .
and i wish u could finish all of ur works this time . all of them are great .:thumbs_up:

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Thanks mate, and damn those are some cool models! Textures are amazing. I love that Kargath! Of course you have my permission!
I actually think your Velen is quite a lot better, the proportions are more WC3-like. Mine is too tall/skinny, I'll have to change that. Is Velen texture made by yourself or is it WoW texture? Only ask because it looks so good that it actually looks like the WoW one! Anyway, you are more than welcome to use Grom as a base.

I think you should still release Velen though, we can never have too many models :)
Besides I'll make Durotan before Velen, and yours seems like it's almost finished!

Looking forward to seeing those models released! Your texturing skills are truly amazing, I'm so jealous :p

Putting down some base colors for Durotan to get ready for some texturing:

attachment.php

Attachments

• wip3.png
    wip3.png
    532.8 KB · Views: 782
Level 18
Thanks mate, and damn those are some cool models! Textures are amazing. I love that Kargath! Of course you have my permission!
I actually think your Velen is quite a lot better, the proportions are more WC3-like. Mine is too tall/skinny, I'll have to change that. Is Velen texture made by yourself or is it WoW texture? Only ask because it looks so good that it actually looks like the WoW one! Anyway, you are more than welcome to use Grom as a base.

I think you should still release Velen though, we can never have too many models :)
Besides I'll make Durotan before Velen, and yours seems like it's almost finished!

Looking forward to seeing those models released! Your texturing skills are truly amazing, I'm so jealous :p
:ogre_haosis:good work ~ don't u remember that i am in a game company ? now i am really busy , so there is less time to do some warcraft stuff . i am making only Bosses and Major Charaters in the company . the textures with working will be much better than this . and i will show u my recent art works with our personal chating if u have interest . and actually the WOW quaility textures painting are not difficult as what you think .
here's the Velen textures . now i think it much more details for the warcraft 3 style . and ur work is just suitable . wait for ur awesome works ! Zuljin Garona Durotan and Velen , u really owe us so many great models :thumbs_up:

Attachments

• 20150512233905.jpg
    20150512233905.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Level 39
:ogre_haosis:good work ~ don't u remember that i am in a game company ? now i am really busy , so there is less time to do some warcraft stuff . i am making only Bosses and Major Charaters in the company . the textures with working will be much better than this . and i will show u my recent art works with our personal chating if u have interest . and actually the WOW quaility textures painting are not difficult as what you think .
here's the Velen textures . now i think it much more details for the warcraft 3 style . and ur work is just suitable . wait for ur awesome works ! Zuljin Garona Durotan and Velen , u really owe us so many great models :thumbs_up:

Sure, send me a pm. I'd love to see some of your recent works!

First wip for Durotan texture:

attachment.php

Attachments

• wip4.png
    wip4.png
    685.2 KB · Views: 698
Level 7
Tauer, these are looking fantastic. You and others here have inspired me to look into making my own models. :) Long live Warcraft III!

Level 39
Tauer, these are looking fantastic. You and others here have inspired me to look into making my own models. :) Long live Warcraft III!

Thanks! That's really cool, I'm glad I can inspire other people to getting into the wonderful world that is 3D modeling ;)
Hopefully you'll share what you make, I'd love to see it!

Slowly texturing my way down:

attachment.php

I'm trying to watch the detail level. Lately my textures are getting a little to high detail to fit in with other WC3 models. I wanna keep the quality up but still make it fit with other models. It's quite a challenge.

Attachments

• wip7.png
    wip7.png
    473.8 KB · Views: 895
Last edited:
Level 18
Thanks! That's really cool, I'm glad I can inspire other people to getting into the wonderful world that is 3D modeling ;)
Hopefully you'll share what you make, I'd love to see it!
I'm trying to watch the detail level. Lately my textures are getting a little to high detail to fit in with other WC3 models. I wanna keep the quality up but still make it fit with other models. It's quite a challenge.

just back from work in company and 10 minutes work to show some advices . first , the plaits . it's not zip . ur plaits are so average . the same as the beard .
and why ur textures get a little high details ? of course one reason is that u had improved ur skills a lot . but the other is u draw too much tiny details , try to make them unify . u should control it .
second , the cheekbone and the five sense organs always should be considered as geometries . so don't use too much lines to paint them . that will make them looks a little thin .
sorry for my bad English speaking . i am not sure u could understand my words or not . wish u could do better and better . good luck !:thumbs_up:
btw the wolf head is good working .
145326d1431514173-tauers-models-2-0-wip7.png
attachment.php

Attachments

• wip71.png
    wip71.png
    463 KB · Views: 626
Level 39
just back from work in company and 10 minutes work to show some advices . first , the plaits . it's not zip . ur plaits are so average . the same as the beard .
and why ur textures get a little high details ? of course one reason is that u had improved ur skills a lot . but the other is u draw too much tiny details , try to make them unify . u should control it .
second , the cheekbone and the five sense organs always should be considered as geometries . so don't use too much lines to paint them . that will make them looks a little thin .
sorry for my bad English speaking . i am not sure u could understand my words or not . wish u could do better and better . good luck !:thumbs_up:
btw the wolf head is good working .
145326d1431514173-tauers-models-2-0-wip7.png
attachment.php

Thanks for the advice mate! I see all your points, makes a lot of sense. Gotta go to bed now, but I'll try out your suggestions tomorrow for sure!
Cheers bro, goodnight ;)