• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tank build on Psion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So after new skills choice psi can be take away more roles in party then before. Before psion can be a decent healer,
if she took remedy/flash heal/nature blessing or caster and spam fireballs/magic missles/meteors etc or improve normal attack in leviatation state with feline reflexes.
Psion also could be a "decent "tank" with her high evasion and imbue armor (espesially with 50lvl talent).
To be a tank in Gaias hero basicly should have:
1. Aggro potential.
If you cant keep boss agro you are trash tank, obviously. Cruz have taunt/crusifix (idr correct name of spell)/heroic presense.
Zerk has shout/heroic/high dps to keep agro. Monks also have spells to be keep agro. Hexblade... even with new patch idk is she any balanced or not to be a nice tank.
2. survivability
Mail armor users like cruz/zerk/hex have much armor, hp, resists. Also they can use shield for more stats. Light armor users like
monk with bracers of blocking(or spiderling)/shroud have less armor but more evasion from items.
So what about psion now?
How to get enough agro to keep boss? Now psi can build with imbue armor+distraction weapon+dancing blades, each spell gives
bonus agro. Moreover you always can take one more agro spell from tank like taunt, shout, crucify, GA etc.
With "monk" cloth items like Shroud of the Faithful (hp/allr/armor), Turban of Meditation(hp/armor/eva), Bracers of Blocking(armor/hp), Staff of Serpent(hp/armor)
, Bracers of Spiderling(hp/armor) + stats from psi blade + evasion bonus from leviataion. OF COURSE even with these items youll not
reach same armor as cruz (cuz he has more talents for armor and basicly mail>cloth), but with hp talent and bonus hp from all items
missing armor grants you evasion. And im not sure Armor>hp or armor>evasion currently in Gaias, cuz even easiest boss like HG has
200+ damage so +-30 armor doesnt give you such profit as more hp or evasion.

And what do you think about? Is tank build any good on psi? :ogre_datass:

Level 8
If you use full tank gear, you won't hold aggro. If you use some DPS gear, you won't be tanky enough. Psion is a jack-of-all-trades sort of utility class, she can fill any role but isn't particularly good at anything. Her base tanking ability against bosses is terrible to be honest, you need more than evasion to tank seeing as enemy skills will cut through that. You're being mislead by the freedom to use gear meant for monks.

Keep in mind that the current content can be outlevelled/outgeared pretty easily, and Foothills bosses are just World bosses (its sort of like fighting sanev/golem at lvl25 with full D2 gear). Hell I've maintanked all the current content with Bard (bit of control for Alch enrage). Try maintanking Yeti/Zharo and you will get smashed.

TL;DR Can Psion tank current content? Yes, any lvl50 class can. Is she good at it? No.

Level 3
I can imagine her tanking rather well on a proper setup.

I currently have psion with 54 evasion without single gear piece giving evasion. Double evasion soul, levitate and whatever she gets from her natural stats.

If you steal new Backhand from Squire-class you could build up aggro possibly? I mean, it's ap based ability and her attack value is dead low but with super high evasion you could get reset on every second attack or more. I don't think her ap gets lower than displayed when you are in levitate state so no clue how it would work in practice. It's worth checking into, but chances are if you have option to steal Backhand, you already have better tank in game.

Level 8
Her base tanking ability against bosses is terrible to be honest, you need more than evasion to tank seeing as enemy skills will cut through that.

Also, needing a near-max specific soul to make a build doesn't make it viable. Most importantly, you can't be a good tank without a damage resistance skill or equipment. You can abuse pathing to fend off Gazrow, but future bosses won't be so forgiving with their main DPS skills. This doesn't actually even need any discussion, just go try to main-tank Yeti and Zharo with your tank-build Psion and see for yourself how it goes. Practical testing >>>>> theorycrafting.

Level 3
Since you are quoting yourself how about quoting other part of your post?

Psion is a jack-of-all-trades sort of utility class, she can fill any role but isn't particularly good at anything.

And doh, you would get smashed on most difficult encounters. Jack of all trades type characters aren't meant be measured by most difficult encounter in game. It's just common sense. She can do ok in situations where it's not expected from jack of all trades to do master's job.

Honestly, there's no need to be so hostile against idea. Guy gave his input on tank psion. I pointed him in direction how I'd build her for such task. And I added that in case you could do as I said (building evasion heavy and going for Backhand resets to keep up agro) you probably have a more natural tank in form of squire class.

And in case you are comparing her to beta content, why not thinking new items?
Perhaps there will be Golden Feather Mantle type armor that won't be Monk exclusive. Perhaps there will be new abilities she could steal to ramp up her evasion even more. Perhaps there will be hunter and bishop in her party granting 10% more evasion to her. And perhaps even more.

This doesn't actually even need any discussion

Yes, I agree. We should play with builds that you certified and should not experiment even slightest bit. We should not try to have fun optimizing builds for various offhand tasks, we should take it dead serious and kick from party everyone that doesn't have optimal build. Yeah... great showing.
It totally builds respect for community seeing that highly respected player shuts down any potential discussion and then takes his *tank mage* vs zharo and dies in first 3 second of battle.

Level 8
He gave his opinion and justifications for building a class for a certain role then asked for the community's. I then gave my opinion and justifications for why that class can't fill that role in situations where that role is necessary. There is no "idea" or rejecting of ideas in either of our posts. I didn't tell him to never play that way at all with this class ever, I told him to attempt a boss at an equal level to his hero to see for himself if his build was viable or not, since his points were mostly untested conjecture. I'm not sure why you would get upset on his behalf.

I do understand why you would be upset that I shut down your post but you shouldn't take that sort of thing personally. It's a reply to your argument after all, not you as an individual. If you were hoping for some sort of flame war from me, that simply isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.