• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Suggestion/idea for 3 new mini bosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
As the tittle say's i would like to suggest 3 new mini bosses for the following area's:

maps20402minimap.jpg
[/URL] [/URL][/IMG]

Yellow: Gnoll scavenger boss area.
Red:Spider queen boss area.
Cyan:Ogre chief boss area(might be off on the mini map since i couldn't pin point the spot).

Starting off with the Gnoll area i think that this place would be perfect for a mini boss area:
wc3scrnshot011413102543.jpg

The Boss is gonna be a lvl 13 Gnoll Scavenger:
2600 hp, 25-40 dmg and 20 armor.
He will also have 2 skill:Gnoll Champion and Ravage.
Gnoll champion:is a aura that gives him and nearby gnoll's 5% increased dmg and 5% crit.
Ravage: when the boss gets bellow 30% hp his basic attacks start inflicting 10% bonus magic dmg corresponding to his dmg(basically he will start doing extra 10% to the amount he deals dmg.For instance he will deal 2 extra magic dmg when he hits you for 20.)
2:2 Gnoll rangers on each side of the boss as bodyguards(same skill/dmg and hp as normal).
3:2 Gnolle fighters(same hp/dmg but have a skill called bash wich gives them 5% chance to deal 25 normal dmg).
Thats all i got for this are(for now at least)
Spider queen forest are:
wc3scrnshot011413102411.jpg

Spider Queen lvl 15:
3000 hp, 40-50 dmg and 25 armor.
She will also have 2 skill:Venomous bite and Spiderling.
Venomous bite is a DoT(Damage over time)type spell that deals 25 dmg every 3 sec. for 30 sec.(And yes this may be allot of dmg but do take note that this map is based on team play and it is a mini boss its need to be tougher than normal mobs).
Spiderling's o joy just the name makes me want to scream...anyway:
After killing a bodyguard of the Spider queen she will summon a small spider to aid her(200 hp,5-5 dmg and no armor and she can summon max 2).
1)Spider bodyguard:lvl 14,500 hp,15-30 dmg and 10 armor no skills.
Thats it for the spiders now moving on to:

Ogre chieftain area:
wc3scrnshot011413102106.jpg

Ogre Chieftain a massive fat ogre with 6000 hp,50-74 dmg, 40 armor and 3 kills.
Chieftain skills:
Clan Command:An aura increases nearby oger's dmg by 10% and armor by 5%.
To Arms:Summons a Ogre Brute to help in the fight(nothing special about the brute same as the ones already on map.)
Smash(yes just smash):Gives the Ogre Chieftain 25% chance to hit the enemy got 100 magic dmg :ogre_datass:
Looks strong?well he is meant to be and you will Definitely need a healer for this one!
1:Ogre Brute:nothing changing they are same as now(at least for now).
2:Ogre Magus:same as they are now nothing changing.I put the Magus there so they can buff the first 2 Brutes and make the fight harder.
Well these are my Suggestion/idea for 3 new mini bosses.Plz let me know what you guys think of this idea and post feedback and weather or not they shod be buffed more or nerfed a bit.Also later i have a few ideas how to improve the other 3 mini bosses(crab,troll,wolf) but that's for another day.

No offense, but the balancing on your suggestions is terribly, TERRIBLY off.

The HP values are far from being realistic. 6000 HP for the ogre boss is NOTHING. Most damage dealing characters will have around 100-150 dps at that point. Multiply this by 3 for an average of 3 damage dealers in the group (better multiply 4 because tanks/bishops usually deal a good load of damage while doing their job) you boss will not last longer than 10 seconds.
Low HP bosses only work if players get constantly distracted or harassed during the encounter.

The skills are also way too weak compared to other challenges in the game. Crab, Wolf and Troll boss are learning encounters to allow players to understand the concept of threat, dispelling and tanking. Later encounters should never be reduced to simple tank and spank tactics. Compare your ideas to for example Sanev, who deals a shitload of burst damage and DOTs random targets in range, making healers healspamming the tank sweat.

New bosses should definitely define a challenge aside from simple gear farming (tank and spank bosses are usually just gearcheckers for your tank and require no skill to kill).

Gaias Retaliation provides lots of challenge possibilities other than just healing incoming damage: AoEs, threat games, mana management, crowd control, interrupting spells, etc.

Level 10
well an spider boss with some web skills ...
mb for a lvl 22 boss like (the broodmother)
in the forest hidden in the trees :D

and the model of the spider can be a purple spider... because you use green and red one so the ancient broodmother can be the purple one!! :D
scale of 1.45
color 220/235/185
web models from war... color mb 150/160/170
and spiderlings with red and green colors...

with mb 5.5k of hp and a good armor resists to water,arcane,nature and a little less resists from fire so a level 25 bishop to do 30 damage per cast... and a mage do a 65 damage per cast (fireball) an squire do a max 160 damage with revenge so i think mb a 36 armor is cool... life regenaration of 3 hp per second...

->well it can hide in web and attack a random player every 15 sec mb...
->spam spiderlings every 10 sec...
->send a poison to the target that slow attack speed OR mb a posion that is like the thief acid... reduces armor...
->a "esnare" web that dont let the target run easy...

with lower hp more she hide and more spiderlings she spams... the idea is kill some spiderlings so wont have a lot that will kill you... and when the spider queen is hidding you have to attack the other spiders and be carefull for the attack

->the spiderlings will born that way... the spider queen send an group of eggs mb 3 eggs that take 5 seconds to rach to the ground the egg get killed with mb 8 attacks... so if the party is of 5 people you have to focus that before the eggs got rached and everyone have to attack 1 or 2 times each egg if you dont kill it fast will born a new spiderling :D
2 random kinds of spiderlings red and green one... the red one is normal meele and the green one is a ranged spider...
->the poison can do that slow the target for 100% and will slow descrease the effect...
100/70/40/10... with a damage per second :D

Last edited:
well an spider boss with some web skills ...
mb for a lvl 22 boss like (the broodmother)
in the forest hidden in the trees :D

and the model of the spider can be a purple spider... because you use green and red one so the ancient broodmother can be the purple one!! :D
scale of 1.45
color 220/235/185
web models from war... color mb 150/160/170
and spiderlings with red and green colors...

with mb 5.5k of hp and a good armor resists to water,arcane,nature and a little less resists from fire so a level 25 bishop to do 30 damage per cast... and a mage do a 65 damage per cast (fireball) an squire do a max 160 damage with revenge so i think mb a 36 armor is cool... life regenaration of 3 hp per second...

->well it can hide in web and attack a random player every 15 sec mb...
->spam spiderlings every 10 sec...
->send a poison to the target that slow attack speed OR mb a posion that is like the thief acid... reduces armor...
->a "esnare" web that dont let the target run easy...

with lower hp more she hide and more spiderlings she spams... the idea is kill some spiderlings so wont have a lot that will kill you... and when the spider queen is hidding you have to attack the other spiders and be carefull for the attack

->the spiderlings will born that way... the spider queen send an group of eggs mb 3 eggs that take 5 seconds to rach to the ground the egg get killed with mb 8 attacks... so if the party is of 5 people you have to focus that before the eggs got rached and everyone have to attack 1 or 2 times each egg if you dont kill it fast will born a new spiderling :D
2 random kinds of spiderlings red and green one... the red one is normal meele and the green one is a ranged spider...
->the poison can do that slow the target for 100% and will slow descrease the effect...
100/70/40/10... with a damage per second :D
I can't see a general encounter logic in your suggestion. The skill ideas are fine, but they don't work together, create no synergies that force the players to learn specific strategies.

Some skills are also terrible balanced, like the spider spawn. 3 spiderlings every 10 seconds when you can only kill an egg with 8(?) attacks? I'd say this is almost impossible to do.
There's no concept in the random attacks either. Why should I make her attack randomly if there is no counter to that? It would be a frustrating encounter, extremely luck-dependant because if the wrong hero gets picked on, its almost always game-over, whereas if the queen decides to go for the berserker three times in a row, it's instant win.
Also, how would tanking the boss work if tanks need to grab the melee spiderlings AND have to deal with the boss switchig threat anyways? It would just be a total chaos, extremely frustrating for healers and tanks and even more frustrating for low health characters.
The slow debuff doesn't provide any synergy with the boss design and is just there to piss people off, as moving around isn't neccesary anyway (since she doesn't have any skill that can be avoided by moving around, people will just stick together and deal with the spiders as they spawn, as killing the eggs will take too much time by design anyway).

To sum it up, the average party will do the boss as follows:
Tank the spider, stick together as close as possible and beat the shit out of her, ignoring the spiderlings or eggs. Good thing she only has 5500hp which is like 8 times of a trashmob ogre, which dies within seconds of full party fire...

Look, guys, I'm always open for suggestions and I love your enthusiasm, but creating a challenging and fun boss encounter is more than just thinking of some spells and putting them together on random cooldowns.
A boss needs a general design concept - a certain strategy or theme that it requires the party to use or adapt. All skills of the boss have to follow that concept or the boss encounter will just be plain rubbish and no fun to deal with. I'm not saying that there should not be a certain amount of chaos; a minimum of randomness is the spice of a good boss concept, but it should never be the general theme of a boss-encounter.

Level 18
A spiderqueen boss using some of dota like spells (they fit a "broodmother" concept) would be really interesting i mean she creating spider webs which become her invisible while her spiderlings are fighting for her (and she regenerates), also each few seconds a wolf or a gnolls enters the fight and she converts them into spiderlings.
(If there's already a trapped in spiderweb model, instead of wolf or gnolls entering the fight you could make it that when you fight her there are already corpses trapped in web and you could make the broodmother convert those trapped corpses into spiderlings)

i mean it could be a really fun fight :3

the Ogre boss could be an Ogre Shaman not a normal magus but a blue shaman, like the "elder" of the ogre tribes, he could use ice based spells maybe?

i'm not really sure about the gnoll boss tho.

Level 10
so lets see the brood mother have 2 webs... she run to it when she loses 1k of hp and stay quiet when mb 4 or 5 spiderlings spams from the webs and the boss will stay hide for 6 sec or until all of the spiderlings got dead... (like the skill of flamelord but a little different)
the others skills are like naga siren from warcraft a parasite in your stomach... if you dont cure you will die... if you die a new spiderling will come from the dead hero... takes like 20 hp per second idk how to balance... mb every 40 sec she cast that spell
the web esnare will paralize the hero... its a random shot it will just paralyze the hero like frost cage...
and the last skill is a acid like thief acid that reduces enemy defense...
what you think now?

Level 6
i dont see a point in adding more world bosse cause there isnt a lack of them u have wolf/crab/troll and later on golem/sanev. Also zwiebel will add a new boss so there is no need in more of them. Just think that way: every work zwiebel has to do more will delay 1.2 more and more.

u might can give im suggestions for d4 but im pretty sure he has shitload of ideas for this dungeon anyway.

as shapy said I already promised to make a new boss in 1.1n (Haven't started working on it though, as I'm busy with other stuff atm).

After that, there won't be any more world bosses for existing content. There will be new world bosses in 1.2, but those will be higher leveled and a lot more of a challenge.

Level 10
i dont see a point in adding more world bosse cause there isnt a lack of them u have wolf/crab/troll and later on golem/sanev. Also zwiebel will add a new boss so there is no need in more of them. Just think that way: every work zwiebel has to do more will delay 1.2 more and more.

u might can give im suggestions for d4 but im pretty sure he has shitload of ideas for this dungeon anyway.

You forgot Shade :D

Level 3
A spiderqueen boss using some of dota like spells (they fit a "broodmother" concept) would be really interesting i mean she creating spider webs which become her invisible.

Are you talking about a new broodmother boss for Gaias or the old one for TKoK??

Level 13
Man, I liked the idea of a spider or gnoll boss. Those skill ideas are pretty basic but hey, something in those areas would be neat at some stage. I can understand you not wanting every area clogged with bosses Zwieb but a few more optional ones at some stage might be a nice challenge to people wanting to start new characters and simply not rush them forward to d4 each time.

Level 1
Honestly i never wanted this 3 new bosses to be "World boss",i just thought of adding some smaller boss type for new players or low lvl party.At first i thought them up with 5-6 skills each 8-10k hp and more but then i thought of Zwiebel and how much can he do,is it even possible to do these with that and can he even do it.So i started nerfing them bit by bit and well....basically i self destruct on my own idea,i wanted to make them good but i didn't want to overdo it.Zwiebel said"Crab, Wolf and Troll boss are learning encounters to allow players to understand the concept of threat",which actyaly makes sense.If you look at the mini map(on explored map)all 3 bosses and D1 are basically on a small island that connect a small bridge to the main land,this can be called a newby are or training for new players.if you want to cross to the new are there are 2 bandit's guarding the bridge(i think they shod be removed and 4 bandits lvl 10 put,the reason for this is that they well be like the last test for the players.after them comes harder enemy's and they need to be prepared((like they are saying to you:"ok this is the last step out of the newby are,kill us and enjoy the game".))).Then again these are just some more"random ideas"that might not even work in the long run.Now to get back to the topic about the bosses/world bosses i honestly forgot the part about 2 guys paying and one takes his lvl35 bezerker or hunter and just kill's everyone,i was more expecting a normal party healer/tank/mage/thief or hunter and truing to kill boss not the high lvl plvling.Also i never expected the bosses i suggested to drop any epic gear,the gnoll scavenger would have droped a "scavengers sword" the ranger droped a crossbow and the fighter a dagger(nothing big status maybe like +1 AP overall with equipment).

Also i am surprised that ppl responded so well over the Spider boss,maybe if we can balance it a bit more we can expect her in the future,On the same note since ppl post mostly revolved around the spider spawning Spiderling's and her disappearing i came up with an idea that might not be so bad so hear me out:

The picture i posted is the spider forest in the north from sanev there are alot of trees, my idea is to remake the middle of the forest a but so the spider queen will be in middle of a empty space with 4 trees around her.When she loses 25% hp she becomes invulnerable and jumps to a nearby tree and stays up there for about 5 sec. and regen 10 hp per sec.(maybe more but will discus this later on if the idea is good),In the mean time as soon as she becomes invulnerable 2-5 Spiderling's spawn(come down from the other 3 trees that she queen isn't on and start attacking the nearest targets).If its made like this the tank and even 2 hunters with pets wont be able to tank all of them(i hope).
I just thought this up as typing about the Spiderling's:
The first time they spawn its gonna be 3 Spiderling's from each tree, the 2 time she jumps she will have a lil bit more than 50% hp and she will spawn 4 Spiderling's from each tree and the third time she just it well be 5 Spiderling's each tree(15 total in third jump) and for the best part her last forth jump she will have maybe 1%-3% hp left which is not allot but that's when it gets tricky.Each Spiderling's that spawns from that last wave(5 each tree) they well be berserk(50% att speed),Lifesteal(10% so they dont die that fast) and the queen wont come drown from the tree(or stop regaining hp)until all the Spiderling's are dead.Which makes it harder for the payers(even if they have a lvl 35 in team),hmmm...now that i have read everything i typed this looks more like a d5 boss than a mini/world boss hehe.Anyways i did not post any spider queen ability because i was hoping we can all work on it together(or at least those who read the post),anyways overall i hope can work together to make this spider queen come to life.

Level 10
All of these tweaks to lower level zones and mini-world bosses are great and all but Zwiebel is incredibly busy with balancing and prepping 1.1n/1.2 and as he said these starting zones are 'fine' for now. They work and do the job. Sure they might need some touching up at some point but for now lets let him work on the new stuff first and when everything is all said and done we can resurfice these old mini-boss ideas or changes to the starting zones. We don't want to overstress Zwebiel with suggestions, ideas, nerfs, etc. After all he has done most of 1.1m and prepping for 1.2 on his own. He's just one man and can only do many things at one time. We shouldn't be clustering him out and stressing him especially considering this is just a hobby for him and not his job.

Level 6
I say zwieb needs a time out of all the spam resquest take a week or as much as u want :thumbs_up:
We wouldnt want an angry or preasured badly made gaias do we

Level 8
World Boss Idea

Name: Hawk
Health: 14500
Armor: 21
Damage: 45-54
Skills:
Rake: Rake is a Stacking dot that the boss will cast on the tank every 4 seconds. Each stack adds 17 damage per 2 seconds. This skill can be dispelled. Lasts 20 Seconds max 3 stacks.

Screech: The Hawk lets out a high pitch screech damaging all enemies in a 550 aoe around her. 350 damage 2 second cast time. 10 second cool down

Swoop: The Hawk can't be tank instead it will randomly lock onto one enemy who is withing range every 6 seconds.

Changes:

Replaced Enrage with Swoop.
Change number values a bit.

Balancing might need some changes and i am welcome to ideas and criticism and by that yes you can call me a straight out idiot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.