• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Taking the Galaxy Editor very seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Anyway, I've had my say here. If someone makes a direct response to me, I will respond. Other than that, I'm bowing out of this thread.

New SC 2 invites were sent out today. I was able to get one. So I'd much rather play SC 2 than talk about Cassiel. If someone responds directly to me and I don't reply immediately, I'm likely too busy getting my butt handed to me by Koreans.

What's your username? Make sure to include the identifier.

GUI will probably be just as efficient, maybe even as powerful as the coding language. But it it'll take longer to code in, make sharing and collaborating more difficult (probably, depending on how they handle libraries -> it's 10x easier importing a vJass spell then a GUI spell), and provide a restricted, limited environment where all your actions will be by clicking buttons 1 by 1.

I will argue that, I can import a GUI spell much faster then a jass spell.

You can copy and paste GUI to, ***.
Say "HI" to variable importer you ******. Say "HI" to check that @@@@ on by default, because it isn't.
Say "HI" to having tons of variables in a confused and mixed up variable editor.
Say "HI" to variables types you can NOT have with your wonderful GUI.
Say "HI" to how bad you @@@@, ***.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 19
Say "HI" to variable importer you ******. Say "HI" to check that @@@@ on by default, because it isn't.
Say "HI" to having tons of variables in a confused and mixed up variable editor.
Say "HI" to variables types you can NOT have with your wonderful GUI.
Say "HI" to how bad you @@@@, ***.

The *** was a joke, seriously, no need to freak out, >_>'

When his @@@@@@ @@@@@ brain is as half as good as the brain of someone who decided to take his/her time to learn JASS and vJASS, when that happens, I may admit a critic from him. Otherwise I don't.

Calling me a nub is an insult. I am not a "Non Useful Buddy" and my reputation and several works around this community speak loudly for me.

Fussiler1 is right however, I shouldn't pay attention to such @@@ @@@@@ creatures.
No need to freak out, it's just that I am very touchy today. Usually happens when you don't sleep long enough xD
Haha, love flamers. Anyway, GUI is much easier to import, you can have the variables created upon cnp, and you just have to change the units, sometimes not even that.
How many vJass spells did you really imported my friend ? Your arguments reveal your lack of experience with vJASS. Please state an argument when you are not familiar with its bases. One cannot criticise VJASS until he knows it well.
Now between you and me, vJass is also imported like you describe :p

How many vJass spells did you really imported my friend ? Your arguments reveal your lack of experience with vJASS. Please state an argument when you are not familiar with its bases. One cannot criticise VJASS until he knows it well.
Now between you and me, vJass is also imported like you describe :p

I have tried importing a couple 60 or some, and failed to do so each time, GUI is much easier in my case.

I have worked on learning vJass, and stopped do to personal issues.

How can you tell? The editor is not even out ...
wat.

wat.jpg

wat

Anyway, Coding is really hard. I literally had trouble making a hello world in Galaxy.
(I can do a hello world in cpp and C#)

Level 11
Keyword: "given enough time"

Enjoy your integer to real, your string to text, your combine strings multiple, your slow arithmetic, the lag that comes with complex GUI, etc etc etc. While you will have click multiple times just to increment a local variable by 1, I can do it as easily as "i++;". GUI will never be as fast or as good as coding, and that is a fact. If you learn Andromeda/Galaxy now, then you will be spared a hell of a lot of pain later.

Oh, also, GUI looks bad.

Also, heres something you can't do in GUI: Make a function that automatically changes the file for an image-type dialog item to whatever the player types in. Without arrays. Without more than one trigger. Without custom script. Have fun!

Level 8
Ugh, guys, stop arguing about which one is better. There is a reason why Blizz put both of the systems in place, one is much more user-friendly, thus why GUI has certain limitations, while the other is more advance and more complex, but permits many new possibilities to the mapper.

I wouldn't say that a GUI user isn't serious about his maps. Heck I'm a GUI user and I am 100% committed to what I do and I can do 100% of what I want to do in my maps. To me, GUI is perfect for what I use in the SC2 editor. And plus, from what I heard, GUI doesn't have as many limitations in SC2 then it had in WC3.

I'm not defending anything or anybody, one little thing I'd like to point out: To those GUI users in SC2, it is much easier to do what you did before in WC3, because you already have that general knowledge of how things worked ;). To those Jass, vJass, xyavfhsbJass or whatever Jass you used, you have to learn everything anew because the coding has changed to Galaxy :).

Honestly though, after playing around with the Editor for 3 months now, I am ready to learn Galaxy because it does look more efficient and it does seem to be a time-saver.

Level 11
Blizzard has fixed many of the things that were missing in GUI, and made some things significantly better (ie the new combine strings function is way better than WC3s) to the point where you can actually make maps that are entirely GUI.

Coding, however, is still significantly faster than using GUI. Additionally, it allows you to use more advanced functions, for instance creating triggers and adding events to them, or using strings for certain files. You also can take advantage of things like implicit typecasting, meaning that if you want to use an integer as a real, or string as text, you don't have to use functions to convert them.
To those Jass, vJass, xyavfhsbJass or whatever Jass you used, you have to learn everything anew because the coding has changed to Galaxy :).
Actually, Galaxy is simply a different syntax, and imo it is better, as you don't need to use extraneous keywords like "call" or "set". Additionally, most of the functions are still similar to their counterparts in WC3.

Anyways, if you are planning on learning Galaxy I would recommend using Andromeda along with Moonlite, as that helps a lot.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I read that GUI and Galaxy would be pretty alike power/limitation-wise, but there are still lots of people saying they're only coding in Galaxy. Why, if both are supposedly equally as powerful?
Additionally, to what extent will JASS (just plain JASS, no vJASS or Zinc stuff) knowledge help me in learning and coding Galaxy?

Level 7
I read that GUI and Galaxy would be pretty alike power/limitation-wise, but there are still lots of people saying they're only coding in Galaxy. Why, if both are supposedly equally as powerful?

Power is not the issue in this case. The reason custom code work will always be better than GUI is that its more direct. If you had to make a choice between walking either over a mountain or through a direct tunnel through the mountain the tunnel would obviously be more efficient, which more or less is a simplistic way of demonstrating the difference between GUI and code. If you use GUI you are forced to patch together little pieces of premade code which often require you to string together lots of little pieces possibly with unseen leaks or inefficiencies. Code on the other hand is direct and can be written to contain exactly what is necessary making it cleaner and more streamlined.

Additionally, to what extent will JASS (just plain JASS, no vJASS or Zinc stuff) knowledge help me in learning and coding Galaxy?[/QUOTE]

I don't personally know much about JASS or Galaxy but I'm going to assume people use JASS because it's a similar language to Galaxy which means that experiance with JASS is effectively experiance with Galaxy.

Level 20
I do apologise if it caused offence. It was not my attention and the 'nub' was admittedly not necessary and the -rep shall serve as a reminder to double check what I'm posting in the future.

Seriously though, Flame, no hard feelings... nub means something different to me. I don't hate JASS/vJASS/Galaxy and I do admire the effort put into learning and applying it. It does indeed show a high level of commitment and is a personal achievement to be proud of. I also realise it has some superior points, I just don't think C&Ping is one, so I guess I should try and be more clear in the future.

Once again, many apologies to both you, Rui and the entire thread (for having to observe several off-topic posts of a less than pleasant nature), I won't reply to it again. Promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.