• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Survive a deserted island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
hey every hive.

recently I read a very popular novel where a man was stuck on a rock in the middle of the ocean with only the cloths on his back, a brief case and a good set of surgical instruments. however he seemed to be a complete idiot and instead of creating something that would get him food or save his life, he instead chopped off body parts for sustenance.

now let's.create out own survival situation.

you crash land your first blue drake flying experience, the dragon dies instantly on impact leaving you stranded on a small dwarf island of drake unmelting ice.

with you you have:
the warcraft themed clothing of a hiver
a watch
a knife
some yoyo string
a brief case
one piece arm sized drift wood
and a collection of bottles(4)

how would you survive? remember there are no animals on this ice rock besides birds and fish in the water around it. drift wood and bottles drift by the waters every few weeks as you float aimlessly.

how would you survive?

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
how would you survive?
Simple, I would pull out the Distress Radiobeacon located in the watch. Then die while a gorilla and a captain take several days to get to me instead of the promised "rescue team within 24 hours".

That or the relations of the blue drake would find me, save me, and then kill me for crashing one of their kin...

I think eating ones limbs might be the best option...

Level 19
You can't possibly survive this scenario.

the novel was based on a true story, the dude survived for 48 days before dying. you can survive! it's just a matter of how long

besides there are ways you could make it back to civilisation. like how would you get food, get warmth and create shelter

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well drakes do not exist, and if you crashed one chances are you would be dead like it, or at least critically injured.

There is a reason no one ends up in such a situation anymore. You either never make it that far (you do not survive airplane crashes) or if you are exposing yourself to the risk of such a situation you take a Distress Radiobeacon so that if you end up in such a situation you will be rescued fast, or die of injuries while waiting.

If the island is cold you are already dead since you will be wet (from being in the water) and without any means to produce heat you will quickly freeze to death.

Do not think watching all those stupid survival programs would help either. Chances are you will end up some place cold (instead of a jungle or tropical island) without all the easy food sources (no purposely placed or scouted animals to hunt) with near critical injuries (from the accident that left you there) and none of the starting stuff (who honestly carries a machete around on a plane or boat? Before answering do remember anti-terrorism laws exist).

Level 19
did you forget the part where I said it's based on a true story where the guy survived 48 days before dying? he survived an unexpected plane crash, because who expects the plane to crash besides a terrorist!!!!!!

all you guys are low level morons, Shadow fury!!! please come here and show this guy's what thinking is.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
did you forget the part where I said it's based on a true story where the guy survived 48 days before dying? he survived an unexpected plane crash, because who expects the plane to crash besides a terrorist!!!!!!
Except as proven recently, no one survives a proper plane crash.

This is usually the case of war aircraft. The pilots could often bail and parachute down and due to the nature of war can be abandoned to their own devices. Light aircraft pilots also can end up in a similar situation however they will often be noticed going down and have Distress Radiobeacon for when they are not and since they are not involved in a war they can be rescued fairly easily.

In the old days such situations were fairly common as communication was poor, travel speeds were slow and maps were not even accurate. Now with GPS positioning, a heavily populate world and satellite networks it is almost an impossibility. In any case if it does happen chances are you will die.

The best one could do is try to catch fish. Fish can be eaten raw with only long term health risks (parasites). More importantly they are a source of fluid as dehydration is the biggest concern (you can last a month odd without food but days at most without some source of fluid, unlike what most survival programs say since this would not involve killing stuff for pleasure which seems to be what they want to show). Sure drinking fish blood and eating raw fish meat is probably not the most appetizing thing to do but it is the only thing you can do.

Forget trying to catch sea birds. Without any cover on that island you will not be sneaking up on them and they will be able to spot any attack attempts from miles away. You can possibly catch a few once you have caught some fish as you can use its remains as bait however that is if you catch some fish. Also due to these now being birds you run a much higher risk chance of getting critically sick by eating them raw (Salmonella, other bad stuff), posing a major short term health risk which will be fatal if occurs.

You have two fishing options. You can make a spear of sorts from either something you have with you or any drift wood (which there may or may not be). This obviously involves the surgical tool blades. Problem is this requires you to wade in shallow water which may be too cold to or not present enough to hunt fish. Also surgical tools are not designed to last long, scalpels will corrode away in the salt water very quickly becoming unusable for a spear head.

A better approach might be to try and fish. There is probably small living creatures like tiny crabs you can easily catch along the coast. Combined with the yoyo string you have a basic fishing line. Tie it to the case or something to prevent it slipping and being lost in the case of a catch. Do not expect big fish but small fish are good enough if found.

Scalpels can obviously be used as make shift knives to cut up the fish.

Use all the plastic litter on the coast to build some form of shelter. Plastic is wind proof and often water proof so makes a good shelter. Yes welcome to 2015 where plastic is everywhere in our oceans. This will help with keeping warm, and if it rains it can be used to collect safe drinking water, something critical to your survival.

Catching a fish is more likely than not going to be impossible for you. This is due to overfishing of the world's oceans so there really are not many fish anymore, especially easy to catch ones which are meaningful to eat.

Before you do any of the above you will want to improve your visibility from the sky. Dig into the sand, place plastic around in a sign, do anything that can be seen from the sky. It has to be big as humans have terrible eye sight. Your best chances of survival are being found as soon as possible and chances are that if you made proper preparations before departure or were using a commercial service there will already be someone looking for you.

You could also try turning all the plastic waste into a make shift raft. Unlike a boat this stuff just does not sink. If you know of any nearby islands you can try your luck there.

Level 21
Let's see where my ginormous imaginations carries me...
The first thing I'd do would be unclothing because the soggy clothes (assuming they're wet) would speed up the cooling down of my body by about 32 times and lead me in a short time to hypothermia. After unclothing, I'd start performing some exercises to heat up.
Then I'd take the watch, detach the metallic part, which fits in the gaps of the watch, from it (using the knife if necessary) and bend it to form some sort of hook (it will suck of course but it'll be better than nothing). Next, I'd knot the yoyo string to the hook and a bone I'd extract from the carcass of the drake to form a crappy fishing rod, attach a piece of my skin cut by the knife to the pseudo-hook, throw the string in the water and pray God that some retarded fish gets hooked. There wouldn't be anything else to do but wait patiently so I'd have nothing to lose to try this seemingly unsuccessful madness. Otherwise I'd just feed on raw meat of blue drake.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The first thing I'd do would be unclothing because the soggy clothes (assuming they're wet) would speed up the cooling down of my body by about 32 times and lead me in a short time to hypothermia.
Except then you will cool down even faster as now you have no cloth to protect you against the cold winds. Some plastic bags will fix that though (the sort you find everywhere).

Otherwise I'd just feed on raw meat of blue drake.
One can almost certainly assume the entire thing exploded into a million impossible to use pieces on impact with the water and sunk to the bottom.

Level 19
wow you guys are still not being creative enough, still big ups to shadow fury who thought to use drake parts and a the watch and string.

and here are the facts. this event happened in real life with a passenger plane of 200 people. The world's satellites and GPS and dozens of planes flying over the planes last known location did jack to find the aircraft because the ocean is so damn freaken big (just look how long it took them to find the Malaysian airline that crashed last year, 90days)

you can't get Salmonella poisoning from raw food, you only get it from off/decomposing food.

you can survive for 40 days without food and for a few years on salt water before your liver gives out and dries up

the human body is water resistant, so yes removing your clothing is both sexy smart and fun. it will be able to get dry enough without your cloths and when your cloths are rung out they will be drier too.

the oceans are not running out of fish. that is the stupidest idea ever.

and... in this situation it is very possible to catch both birds and fish.

I'm adding drifted wood and plastic bottles to the list, but I'm going to say they are few because your on an iceberg not an island

Roland

R

Roland

It's good if you live in that deserted world, No one can be a dick to you except nature.. If I was the guy in that deserted island, I would kill myself instantly.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
(just look how long it took them to find the Malaysian airline that crashed last year, 90days)
That was because the owners refused to pay to have it tracked. If they did they would know exactly where it ditched into the ocean almost instantly. This will not be forced onto aircraft owners to prevent this in future.

you can't get Salmonella poisoning from raw food, you only get it from off/decomposing food.
Just like you do not get AIDs if you take a shower! Um no...

It is a bacterial gut infection. As such no matter how fresh the food is you can still get it. This is why you cannot eat industrially raised eggs raw because they might be covered with salmonella bacteria that contaminate the contents during extraction. Since this is a gut bacteria it breaks down very quickly with heat, which is why well cooked food is safe from it.

The bacteria does not particularly release harmful bi-products during break down of food. Instead if it is ingested it starts to interact with your gut and your immune system. It tries to get rid of all competing bacteria in your gut (which you need to digest food) by a variety of different processes. Particularly it tries to modify your immune system to target the other bacteria and parts of your gut where they live, which is why you become incredibly sick very fast as your body literally attacks itself. It can also release compounds to achieve a similar effect.

Various strains of it are harmless to a variety of animals. Mostly reptiles and birds carry it as part of their gut bacteria. Some mammals also carry it but due to the vast differences between gut bacteria most mammals will die from it. Birds and reptiles are also known to die from it from time to time, but that is usually the result of particularly nasty strains or interactions between strains and other gut bacteria.

Of interesting note is that Salmonella is mostly harmless if you have no gut bacteria. In experiments conducted with rats they found that infecting a rat with normal gut cultures was always fatal yet infecting ones which had their gut cultures forcefully cleared resulted into no Salmonella related sickness and they survived.

you can survive for 40 days without food and for a few years on salt water before your liver gives out and dries up
As far as I am aware you cannot live on salt water. Not only is it not safe to drink (lots of nasty microbes in it) but our bodies are not designed to cope with the extreme salt gradient. Most people will throw up after ingesting sea water due to the high salt gradient, which makes matters worse.

It has to be drunk in very small quantities over a long time, and even then its benefits might not be worth it.

the human body is water resistant, so yes removing your clothing is both sexy smart and fun. it will be able to get dry enough without your cloths and when your cloths are rung out they will be drier too.
Except if it is cold you massively increase heat loss.

the oceans are not running out of fish. that is the stupidest idea ever.
Someone needs to watch more TV. Global fish populations are down to under 1/10th of what they were even a few decades ago.

and... in this situation it is very possible to catch both birds and fish.
Except do you want to catch birds? It has the potential to go a similar way to eating open clams.

Back in 1950 odd it used to be safe to eat raw bird products, but not anymore. All you need is a few of the bacteria in you and you will die in such a situation.

because your on an iceberg not an island
Then you are as good as dead already. Wet cloths and sub zero temperatures with no shelter.

Did you read my post well DSG? Wet clothes dramatically increase the cooling down of the body. It would take more to freeze naked than with wet clothes.
Depends on evaporation rate as that is where the extra heat loss comes from. If there are strong winds the clothing will almost certainly be better to keep on as despite being cold and wet, it still can trap air and help reduce heat loss from wind chill. If the outer layer of the clothing freezes (very cold) it is even better as then evaporation stops.

Getting out of cold wet clothing is only really helpful if you have warm blankets or clothing on standby to get into as that immediately warms you up again. It is also useful if the water temperature is significantly colder than the air temperature since you will lose a lot of heat warming the water up.

Let us be frank. If you are cold and wet, stranded on a piece of very cold ice possibly being blasted by very cold and strong winds you are as good as dead. Only extremely fit, well trained and adapted people could survive that, of which most of the world, and most certainly you, are not.

Every year here in Scotland several people die due to swimming in loches. How? Well below 2 feet or so of warmish summer water (15 degrees or less, enough of it to fool a lot of people) the water temperature drops to freezing or below. They hit that cold water, get into difficulties due to the cold shock and then drown or die from the cold.

I can assure you that if you crashed into the cold water and managed to get on shore of your piece of ice, you would be so stuffed at that point that you will probably die shortly afterwards.

Level 19
bla bla bla, just ignoring the troll and carry on paddling buddy. we will find a Way to get you home Stan

How would you help Stan the stranded hiver get home?

remember in a real life case a guy survived 40 some days in these conditions. in fact he had less.

rescue is only 90 days away, how would you make it out?

Level 21
I'm enjoying this witty debate with DSG, especially because we are touching the argument science, one of my strong points.

So you're saying we risk Salmonella huh? Well, tell he how it's possible with the very low temperature we're exposed to. Bacteria are dormant at low temperatures so there would be no problems with that. Unless I eat a bird (which I won't even struggle to hunt) already infected with it, I'd not risk that disease. This is why food in refrigerators rots very slowly and it is used as a method of food preservation.

Depends on evaporation rate as that is where the extra heat loss comes from. If there are strong winds the clothing will almost certainly be better to keep on as despite being cold and wet, it still can trap air and help reduce heat loss from wind chill. If the outer layer of the clothing freezes (very cold) it is even better as then evaporation stops.

Yeah, trap air, probably a thin miserable layer that won't help at all. The contact between the water in the clothes and my skin would suck away my body heat in a matter of few seconds. The winds' effect is less drastic than the one of the wet clothes. I reckon you know that water has the highest specific heat capacity ever so it takes A LOT of heat to evaporate it. If you imagine that the clothes have been completely soaked in water, you'll need so much body heat to evaporate such a large volume of water.

Getting out of cold wet clothing is only really helpful if you have warm blankets or clothing on standby to get into as that immediately warms you up again. It is also useful if the water temperature is significantly colder than the air temperature since you will lose a lot of heat warming the water up.

But, as I mentioned above, water has the highest specific heat capacity ever. The water, even if hotter, would absorb significantly more body heat, that's why if you pour water on yourself at, for example, 40 degrees C, you'll feel cooler despite having an average body temperature of 37 degrees C.

Let us be frank. If you are cold and wet, stranded on a piece of very cold ice possibly being blasted by very cold and strong winds you are as good as dead. Only extremely fit, well trained and adapted people could survive that, of which most of the world, and most certainly you, are not.

We are thinking about the ways to survive the longest. Death is 100% assured if nobody rescues you within a few days.

Every year here in Scotland several people die due to swimming in loches. How? Well below 2 feet or so of warmish summer water (15 degrees or less, enough of it to fool a lot of people) the water temperature drops to freezing or below. They hit that cold water, get into difficulties due to the cold shock and then drown or die from the cold.

I can assure you that if you crashed into the cold water and managed to get on shore of your piece of ice, you would be so stuffed at that point that you will probably die shortly afterwards.

As I just said, death is certain unless somebody rescues you soon enough. In this scenario, we won't dive in the water to that "freezing part" so your problem would not be encountered.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
So you're saying we risk Salmonella huh? Well, tell he how it's possible with the very low temperature we're exposed to. Bacteria are dormant at low temperatures so there would be no problems with that. Unless I eat a bird (which I won't even struggle to hunt) already infected with it, I'd not risk that disease. This is why food in refrigerators rots very slowly and it is used as a method of food preservation.
Once again someone completely unaware of food hygiene...

Yes Salmonella can release bad toxins during food decomposition, however that is not what makes it so bad.

The problem is if you ingest the bacteria itself. The bacteria is now part of the gut bacteria of a lot (if not most) birds and so logically will be found covering them, their eggs and and in their excrement. All it takes is a few of these bacteria to make it into your digestion system and your stuffed. They actively try to destroy your symbiotic gut bacteria in extremely unhealthy ways such as rewiring your immune system or releasing very bad (for most mammals) toxins.

Unless I eat a bird (which I won't even struggle to hunt) already infected with it, I'd not risk that disease.
More and more of the birds and reptiles in the world are getting infected with extremely dangerous Salmonella strains. It does not really hurt them due to differences in their metabolism (it can kill in some situations with some very bad strains) but it is extremely dangerous for most mammals. Since it is spread by excrement it has penetrated practically all bird populations in developed countries. This is why you cannot eat raw eggs anymore since Salmonella often runs rampant in chicken batteries and due to the mechanics of laying, the outside can get covered and impregnated with Salmonella.

It usually poses little risk to humans because we mostly well cook our food. Well cooked food almost always destroys the bacteria. However food that is not well cooked, raw or contaminated (bird flew over and did what birds do) will still contain living bacteria which, when ingested, will infect you.

Yeah, trap air, probably a thin miserable layer that won't help at all. The contact between the water in the clothes and my skin would suck away my body heat in a matter of few seconds. The winds' effect is less drastic than the one of the wet clothes. I reckon you know that water has the highest specific heat capacity ever so it takes A LOT of heat to evaporate it. If you imagine that the clothes have been completely soaked in water, you'll need so much body heat to evaporate such a large volume of water.
If it evaporates well. Since you are at sea level in cold air the air already is pretty much saturated except from any warmth you generate.

Also the problem with water cooling one down is the energy needed to change state during evaporation, and not its heat capacity. When water evaporates it pulls energy from around it in order to change from liquid to gas state. This cools the remaining water down. If one was to put a bucket of water in a vacuum then you will notice it boiling and the temperature quickly dropping to 0 (and possibly below) due to the rapid evaporation.

But, as I mentioned above, water has the highest specific heat capacity ever. The water, even if hotter, would absorb significantly more body heat, that's why if you pour water on yourself at, for example, 40 degrees C, you'll feel cooler despite having an average body temperature of 37 degrees C.
No the water will start to heat your body up and feel warmer to touch because it is 3 degrees (or more) above your skin temperature. As such it will start to give you heat and warm you up. However it will quickly drop below 37 degrees due to a combination of evaporation, radiation and heat transfer. It will then continue to drop until atmospheric temperature is reached, at which time heat starts to be transferred from the surrounding so it cannot really drop much below (although evaporation can still lower it).

I honestly doubt anymore lived 40 days in a survival situation on an ice berg. I mean even getting onto one out of the water is extremely difficult seeing how they are made of ice. It sounds like the sort of survival situation where it is a deserted stone pillar for an island.

Level 21
Once again someone completely unaware of food hygiene...

Yes Salmonella can release bad toxins during food decomposition, however that is not what makes it so bad.

The problem is if you ingest the bacteria itself. The bacteria is now part of the gut bacteria of a lot (if not most) birds and so logically will be found covering them, their eggs and and in their excrement. All it takes is a few of these bacteria to make it into your digestion system and your stuffed. They actively try to destroy your symbiotic gut bacteria in extremely unhealthy ways such as rewiring your immune system or releasing very bad (for most mammals) toxins.

No, I'm aware of food hygiene, that's why I said I wouldn't even struggle to hunt birds, though not for Salmonella, but for other viral diseases.

More and more of the birds and reptiles in the world are getting infected with extremely dangerous Salmonella strains. It does not really hurt them due to differences in their metabolism (it can kill in some situations with some very bad strains) but it is extremely dangerous for most mammals. Since it is spread by excrement it has penetrated practically all bird populations in developed countries. This is why you cannot eat raw eggs anymore since Salmonella often runs rampant in chicken batteries and due to the mechanics of laying, the outside can get covered and impregnated with Salmonella.

It usually poses little risk to humans because we mostly well cook our food. Well cooked food almost always destroys the bacteria. However food that is not well cooked, raw or contaminated (bird flew over and did what birds do) will still contain living bacteria which, when ingested, will infect you.

See my text above ^

If it evaporates well. Since you are at sea level in cold air the air already is pretty much saturated except from any warmth you generate.

Also the problem with water cooling one down is the energy needed to change state during evaporation, and not its heat capacity. When water evaporates it pulls energy from around it in order to change from liquid to gas state. This cools the remaining water down. If one was to put a bucket of water in a vacuum then you will notice it boiling and the temperature quickly dropping to 0 (and possibly below) due to the rapid evaporation.

You are supporting my theory now; water will cool the body faster than air.

No the water will start to heat your body up and feel warmer to touch because it is 3 degrees (or more) above your skin temperature. As such it will start to give you heat and warm you up. However it will quickly drop below 37 degrees due to a combination of evaporation, radiation and heat transfer. It will then continue to drop until atmospheric temperature is reached, at which time heat starts to be transferred from the surrounding so it cannot really drop much below (although evaporation can still lower it).

In the end, the hotter water will cool you down, that's my point, but let's not digress any further by discussing this.

I honestly doubt anymore lived 40 days in a survival situation on an ice berg. I mean even getting onto one out of the water is extremely difficult seeing how they are made of ice. It sounds like the sort of survival situation where it is a deserted stone pillar for an island.

I doubt we'd even resist for a week due to the very low temperature. We cannot keep ourselves warm for a long time so we'd die of hypothermia in two shakes...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In the end, the hotter water will cool you down, that's my point, but let's not digress any further by discussing this.
While it is hotter it will heat you up. Heat transfers from a warmer source to a cooler source. If it drops below body temperature it is no longer hotter and certainly is not "40 degrees" anymore.

I doubt we'd even resist for a week due to the very low temperature. We cannot keep ourselves warm for a long time so we'd die of hypothermia in two shakes...
Escimos/Inuets (however they are spelt) were able to. However they did live in such a situation for thousands of years so did evolve slightly to be more adapted to it. There are even photos of young kids running around naked in igloos made of sub zero ice. Sure inside it is warmer than outside, but that is comparing very cold with impossibly cold.

Level 21
While it is hotter it will heat you up. Heat transfers from a warmer source to a cooler source. If it drops below body temperature it is no longer hotter and certainly is not "40 degrees" anymore.

It will for a short moment, but you cannot deny it gives you a feeling that you're cooler and that it will eventually cool you down because it'll absorb heat from you to evaporate.

Escimos/Inuets (however they are spelt) were able to. However they did live in such a situation for thousands of years so did evolve slightly to be more adapted to it. There are even photos of young kids running around naked in igloos made of sub zero ice. Sure inside it is warmer than outside, but that is comparing very cold with impossibly cold.

Yeah, but we ain't Eskimos/Inuits!

SeedinAethyr

Spam Moderator
Level 11
It will for a short moment, but you cannot deny it gives you a feeling that you're cooler and that it will eventually cool you down because it'll absorb heat from you to evaporate.
It's not going to evaporate.
You're in a cold spot right next to the ocean. Cold air takes very little water to saturate, and the water from the ocean has been evaporating into it since before you crashed. The air is more than likely almost fully saturated, and evaporation from your clothes and body will be minimal.
I hope you know that water can't evaporate into saturated air.

Also, air will cool the body faster than water. The water will be evaporating on your body very slowly due to the saturation of the air around you and will not cool you a significant amount. However, the cold air will cool you quite a bit because of the amount of air around you that you need to warm. The air will be rushing past your body, and heat will transfer from your body to the air. If you were covered in water, the air would not affect your body temperature (assuming the air is saturated), because the water would be the same temperature as the air and no heat transfer would take place, nor would any evaporation take place.

Also, saying that water has the highest specific heat capacity does not mean that it does not transfer heat to objects that are at lower temperatures. Water at forty degrees Celcius will transfer heat to a human body at thirty-seven degrees until they are equal in temperature. Because water has a higher specific heat capacity than skin, the temperature that the system will be at when it reaches equilibrium will be closer to the water. Water takes more energy to raise to a certain temperature than skin does, and so naturally the opposite is true: when releasing energy, water will give off more energy when the temperature decreases than skin.

Level 21
It's not going to evaporate.
You're in a cold spot right next to the ocean. Cold air takes very little water to saturate, and the water from the ocean has been evaporating into it since before you crashed. The air is more than likely almost fully saturated, and evaporation from your clothes and body will be minimal.
I hope you know that water can't evaporate into saturated air.

Assuming the water won't evaporate (a small quantity will still evaporate though), it will steal your heat until your body reaches its temperature. In the end, water will absorb much more heat than air. To support my theory, I'll give you a link explaining that water at the same temperature as air (60 degrees C in this example) will still cool you faster. Imagine if the temperatures are reduced to something like 4 degrees C... The article also advocates my theory of the 40 degrees C water letting you feel cooler.

Also, air will cool the body faster than water. The water will be evaporating on your body very slowly due to the saturation of the air around you and will not cool you a significant amount. However, the cold air will cool you quite a bit because of the amount of air around you that you need to warm. The air will be rushing past your body, and heat will transfer from your body to the air. If you were covered in water, the air would not affect your body temperature (assuming the air is saturated), because the water would be the same temperature as the air and no heat transfer would take place, nor would any evaporation take place.

Wrong, read the article. It's not only evaporation but also conduction playing a huge role. Water will absorb heat by conduction and release it to the colder air by radiation. Convection will then move the hotter air upwards. Evaporation here is minimized, although it still has some effect.

Also, saying that water has the highest specific heat capacity does not mean that it does not transfer heat to objects that are at lower temperatures. Water at forty degrees Celcius will transfer heat to a human body at thirty-seven degrees until they are equal in temperature. Because water has a higher specific heat capacity than skin, the temperature that the system will be at when it reaches equilibrium will be closer to the water. Water takes more energy to raise to a certain temperature than skin does, and so naturally the opposite is true: when releasing energy, water will give off more energy when the temperature decreases than skin.

^ Article ^ There's another one that also stands for my theory. Here it is. Whatever the case, water is always the winner. Additionally, in any survival program I've seen in my life, the survivors always unclothed themselves if the clothes were wet, despite being in a cold atmosphere like the one of Alaska, to avoid hypothermia.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I'll give you a link explaining that water at the same temperature as air (60 degrees C in this example) will still cool you faster. Imagine if the temperatures are reduced to something like 4 degrees C... The article also advocates my theory of the 40 degrees C water letting you feel cooler.
Someone did not read it...
you hop into that 60-degree pool, heat escapes your body much more easily than it would if you were standing beside the pool in 60-degree air. Because the water takes more heat from your body, and quicker, it feels colder.
They are talking about 60 degrees F not C. Water that is 60 degrees C will always transfer heat into your body because it is hotter than your body.

Further more 60 degree warm water will feel hotter than 60 degree warm dry air because the air is easier to cool down and will cause evaporation of sweat (change of state of water) to cool down. The water does not allow for evaporation of sweat and it also has a higher heat capacity.

Water will absorb heat by conduction and release it to the colder air by radiation.
In this case the water acts as an insulator due to thermal resistance (needs to transfer through more matter) so it will decrease heat loss. Water only increases heat loss by evaporation, aka how sweating works. Water due to its high heat capacity is very difficult to warm up which is why it is usually best to get out of your cold wet cloths but only if you have dry or some warmer place than the cloths.

Additionally, in any survival program I've seen in my life, the survivors always unclothed themselves if the clothes were wet, despite being in a cold atmosphere like the one of Alaska, to avoid hypothermia.
That is because of a combination of warming the water up and evaporation. If the water is 10 degrees and the air around is 15 then obviously it is warmer to take the cloths off. Additionally as you warm the air around you up evaporation starts to occur (as saturation drops) which can also increase heat loss.

The reality is that Alaska is very different from an iceberg. Especially seeing that it is land based so can have dry air as opposed to the ocean where the air is at high saturation.

Additionally such survival programs are always stupid and designed for hype. Despite being in a "dangerous" situations they are actually not in any chance of harm. Sure they can undress naked after swimming in ice water but do know there is a warm fire and dry cloths waiting for them behind the scenes after they got all the footage they need of the guy being cold. They really should make production of such stupid programs illegal as they do nothing more than trash nature and pretend to be cool doing so. Fact is no matter how many you watch, you will be no better at survival as nothing they show will apply to you. That convenient food source will not be there for you. That extreme survival trick to stay warm will fail and you will freeze to death. Surviving nature alone is extremely dangerous, hence why humans are tribal animals and why only through technology have some areas even been able to be populated well by humans.

Raising a kid without modern technology in the middle of some jungle, forest or island will have an average life expectancy of only around 20 years odd. Over half the kids will die before adulthood as well, hence why humans used to have such large families, having kids as fast as they possibly can. This even applied to poor people right up through the middle ages where they even had quite sizable settlements.

Level 20
Thats simple.You wait till two dolphins arive,trick them into beliving you gonna give em weed if they ride you home.Ride with them home and then kill and eat them sinc i would be hungry from all that trip.

Edit:Oh no animals????Well i guess i am screwed.

Level 19
I just thought of something.

how come no one has through of making an igloo? I thought at first you could use your knife to cut the softer ice, but when I googled it it says you can use the drift wood to carve ice.

bam igloo solves freezing to death problem.

Level 21
60 F, sorry (I was in a hurry, just did a quick research). They are nearly 16 degrees C, still higher than the temperature you would find on the iceberg.
Survival programs are not always stupid. Sometimes they do give you good scientific facts that can be really applied (making fire in different ways for example)
So basically you won't get convinced by a scientific fact. What else can I do?

Just a side-note: this science debate is off-topic!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
(making fire in different ways for example)
Which will never work for you. Having some "ape" rub sticks together and creating fire works for them but then again they did probably have a dozen out takes and still have access to things you will not have access to. For example in rain forests we all know they set fire to something dry, which will almost always be impossible for you to find as practically nothing is dry in a forest saturated with 100% humidity.

Starting fire is actually the least of peoples worries. If you are a smoker or are surviving with a smoker then you have access to all the equipment to keep your fire needs solved for ages as long as you have material to burn. Unlike the knives they often show using which you almost certainly will not have as any situation that ends with you needing to survive in the wilderness will leave you without knives for the obvious reason that carrying such knives is illegal anyway (you would be arrested in the UK if you were found carrying one, trying to carry one on person aboard a plane will result in terrorist charges).

Hence why they are stupid. The actual survival advice, which all their presenters say off screen, is always "stay near where you are and wait for help". The rest is nonsense made up to get views or based on true situations which cannot occur naturally in this day and age.

For example, plane crashing in the middle of the amazon rainforest. Well too bad over half that has been chopped down so chances are you crash near some road or farm. Hang on, any aircraft crashing is noticed quite quickly so people will be looking for you. See real survival advice above, make yourself noticeable and stay where you are if you truly are near nothing manmade.

Just a side-note: this science debate is off-topic!
Good this is the right forum section for it then.

Level 21
I like how you take one phrase out of my post and develop a whole text on it ;)
I do acknowledge the absurdity of many things portrayed in survival programs, but I do also acknowledge that some of the facts mentioned are true and feasible in real life. The facts are mostly true, yet they are not usually doable, that's the major flaw of most (maybe all?) survival programs.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I do acknowledge the absurdity of many things portrayed in survival programs, but I do also acknowledge that some of the facts mentioned are true and [Ufeasible[/U] in real life. The facts are mostly true, yet they are not usually doable, that's the major flaw of most (maybe all?) survival programs.
They come from many different people. And despite what you are taught, not all people are the same. Many of the food/water sources used will make you sick if you tried them because we are not used to them. Sure some "ape" is shown to use them, but then again he only has to eat it in camera and then he can be sick all he likes off camera. Or since he does stupid stunts like that all the time he will not be sick unlike you who has not ever done it.

Reality is thinking of such survival is stupid. There are infinitely more likely survival situations you will end up in, and most do not involve being stranded away from humans.

Level 21
They come from many different people. And despite what you are taught, not all people are the same. Many of the food/water sources used will make you sick if you tried them because we are not used to them. Sure some "ape" is shown to use them, but then again he only has to eat it in camera and then he can be sick all he likes off camera. Or since he does stupid stunts like that all the time he will not be sick unlike you who has not ever done it.

Reality is thinking of such survival is stupid. There are infinitely more likely survival situations you will end up in, and most do not involve being stranded away from humans.

In fact, I never thought of venturing in a forest and following to the letter what the programs said, otherwise I wouldn't be here typing this message. Meh, I could probably learn a few tricks from them but not try to survive in a harsh place by applying them of course!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In fact, I never thought of venturing in a forest and following to the letter what the programs said, otherwise I wouldn't be here typing this message. Meh, I could probably learn a few tricks from them but not try to survive in a harsh place by applying them of course!
Then why bother learning if you will never use? Better to spend the same time learning something you will use.

Sadly such programs do make people venture into the forest and try what they are shown. Some guy from the USA was arrested in the UK a few months ago for trying to imitate such a survival program and possessing bows, knives and other armament near a residential area where he was stalking around. Sure he might have been trying to be stupid, but he also could have been a terrorist waiting to kill people like happened earlier this week in London on the subways.

Level 21
Then why bother learning if you will never use? Better to spend the same time learning something you will use.

Life is a surprise. Who knows, probably one day I'll experience a plane crash (I plan to travel around the world so...), manage to survive it and find myself stranded on an island. Maybe one of these seemingly stupid tricks could help me to survive long enough to be rescued (chances are scarce, but hope always remains).

Sadly such programs do make people venture into the forest and try what they are shown. Some guy from the USA was arrested in the UK a few months ago for trying to imitate such a survival program and possessing bows, knives and other armament near a residential area where he was stalking around. Sure he might have been trying to be stupid, but he also could have been a terrorist waiting to kill people like happened earlier this week in London on the subways.

Lol I heard similar absurd stories.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Life is a surprise. Who knows, probably one day I'll experience a plane crash (I plan to travel around the world so...), manage to survive it and find myself stranded on an island. Maybe one of these seemingly stupid tricks could help me to survive long enough to be rescued (chances are scarce, but hope always remains).
99.9% chance for instant death. Otherwise you will be found pretty fast within 48 hours, you could just sleep on the beach after writing a big visible from space sign. Any more and you are dead as the island will lack enough food to sustain you, especially if it is cold. Otherwise simply go fishing, a no brainer.

Level 21
99.9% chance for instant death. Otherwise you will be found pretty fast within 48 hours, you could just sleep on the beach after writing a big visible from space sign. Any more and you are dead as the island will lack enough food to sustain you, especially if it is cold. Otherwise simply go fishing, a no brainer.

0.1% still left :D
I do hope that with modern technology, they'll find me quicky and I won't have to play the "Survivor" for long.

Level 22
I am enjoying this long discussion...Should have brought popcorns with me.

giphy.gif

Am I too late?

Status
Not open for further replies.