1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

SupCom: Icy Oasis (v21)

Submitted by N-a-z-g-u-l
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Supreme Commander is a Warcraft III map immitating the GamePlay of the original game Supreme Commander by THQ. To make the player feel the authenticity of such a great game, this map contains a very elaborated constant gravity based projectile system opening the possibilty of collision with terrain and shields, combined with a revolutional ressource system as seen in the original game. Besides that it creates the right ambience through the use of original game music and imported game sounds making the map a whole new experience of playing Warcraft III. It even contains details such as crashing planes which deal damage to nearby units when colliding with the ground depending on their size. Aside from the amazing game engine nearly every unit known from the original game is included in this map. Land, air and marine units of all 3 tech-levels and an addional tech 4 level for experimental units such as the monkeylord or galactic colossus. All unit data is based on the original game and most of the units even have scaled values of the original units.

I have seen people loving this map from the first moment when they had watched the intro, however, the complexity of the map sometimes overtaxes impatient players. My recommendation is to get into the game after playing once or twice, because then exciting battles will arise.

Post Scriptum: I made this exaggerated description for fun, however, except for the euphoria all of the content is true.

It would be nice to see some of you posting feedback on this map, as it is just in its developing stage and exists for about a month now. Anyway, I cannot guarantee I will continue working on this for long.

There are several other terrains to download from http://supcom.btanks.net/

Keywords:
Supreme Commander, Future, Strategy, War, Projectile System, Ressource System
Contents

SupCom: Icy Oasis (v21) (Map)

Reviews
12:55, 24th Aug 2008 Septimus: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/792566-post30.html
  1. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Eh, the T4 artillery was rushed after the paragon was made, so the resources for it were there. He only had 1 or 2 builders per cannon so mine got done a lot faster.

I say that they had a lower chance because basically I build some t2 defense to defend myself against some t1 units, but instead of helping me, they ended up hitting the cliff side every shot while his units were able to attack the tower. 1 of my towers even attacked my own extractor. Idk it just didn't seem right to have units on the lower ground able to attack something on the higher ground that can't attack back. It defies logic in a way.

Btw, in the example of the chain reaction, I had maybe 9 or so towers in a block, I doubt t2 missile launchers have that kind of AOE. I usually do spread em out, thought I'd try it differently so I could utilize the shields and stealth capabilities to defend them.

Btw, did you take a look at the tactical missile defense tower? None of my opponents have built them since that incident so I wasn't able to test it. I recall firing the missile directly at the defense and I killed the defense. It seemed to fire too late. It is influenced by sight?

2. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    i think you have learned from the defenses, that you have to place tham at the cliff border, not inside your base... well you know the flight pathes of all projectiles, and you know that they coolide with cliffs, so... you should actually know where to place your towers... of course, in all ways, its harder to fight on hilly terrain... it doesnt defy logic that you cant shoot down a cliff if your projectile fires nearly straight forward (logic = physics = implemented)

probably t2 missile luancher have that kind of AOE... towers are so small that you can easily put them together and let them be damaged by AOE

tactical missile def worked last time when i tested it... it is influenced by sight, yes, cant shoot on not yet revelead projectiles

3. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    k, then maybe the missile defense didn't malfunction, I'll tell ya if I see it happen under different circumstances.

As for the towers on the higher ground, they were placed 2 squares away from the edge. I do see your point, however, there are 2 big reasons why I still think its illogical.

1) The realistic application - In real life, if there was a guy in the tank, he would only see maybe the top half of the tower, making it a harder target to attack, where as the tower has the high ground and can clearly see the tank from a more top down view (which would usually make him a bigger target).

2) Why is it a t1 tank can attack my tower whereas my tower can't attack it? A tank doesn't lob any projectiles, like the tower, it has a direct approach. If both projectiles fly straight forward, why is it the tank can fire both the tower can't?
    I suppose you may have made the tank's shot slightly angled instead of having it a direct one.

I think this can be easily fixed by raising the projectile starting spot on the tower by say 5. I suppose I just hate seeing the high ground have no benefit when in real life it can turn a battle around.

And I think you misunderstood the launcher, I didn't mean the building launcher, I was talking about the unit, which I've never seen take down more than 1 tower sized unit at a time.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot, I didn't get to read the whole debug message but part of it was DOAoeD_thread if that helps. It was on v13 on clutch. Someone massed a LOT of t1 generators and storage's and someone dropped some t1 guys off there with an air transport.

4. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    in my map gravitation is always the same, so faster projectiles go straight forward while slow projectiles have to fly in a big parabola...

perhaps the projectile speed of the tank is slower, so that it does not hit the cliff... i dont know this can be, i would not expect it either, but... well^^

you mean i should make the towers higher? you are right about that, they would hit tanks better then, but im not really sure about it... you should always have some other units anyways, and the towers can still attack units which arent so near, so... well at least in v16 it isnt changed yet

and the launcher: i actually thought you were talking about the mobile one, but well... if the rockets are placed well they can hit more than one target

and the DoAOEDamage bug... hm i did not experience it yet, well we will see if it happens again.. (it is caused by too many explosions in the same thread, or too many units nearby for that explosions)

Supreme Commander

v16 is released (is actually v15 with some smaller changes)

i also added a forum to the page, just a little, not very nice one, however, this way people can leave messages when they visit supcom.btanks.net directly... would be nice to see you writing in that forum, too

5. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeh I went there earlier and noticed it, but it said it was down atm.

As for the launcher, I suppose that could be true, it ended up destroying the 7 building around it and dmging ones after that, so I suppose the AOE could just be a little bigger than I thought.

Every unit has a launch point, couldn't you just make it a bit higher?

6. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    xD every weapon has a launch point in my map... the launch point in the object editor is totally irrelavant^^ however, i can change that launch point, too, i will see whether it still looks good

by the way, just played one game of it and already recognized two bugs ^^ (but there were some which existed in earlier versions, too, i just did never autoproduce units over one hour :D (screwed up timers -> every delayed action), the second bug is: if you put a unit inside a transporter and then build a new building or anything, the storage size of the unit in the transporter wont be counted xD

managed to fix both of the bugs in v17, however, it will still wait...

7. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lol. Well I found some things.

I can confirm that missile defense does NOT work properly. It will protect it some of the time but not always. My opponents a couple of missiles long distance past my t3 radar into my allies base which had 4 missile defenses and only one of the missiles was destroyed. It seems to work some of the time, but other times one or two will slip by.

Also, the tactical missile launcher is agreed to be too strong (I"ve been exploiting it on my opponents and they think its worse than a nuke [not in power, but because its so cheap to build and can assassinate commanders/any shielded defense.

I will say that I over estimated the 7200 minimum range for the T3 cannon. I thought 7200 was longer than it is, perhaps the camera is zoomed out more than I thought and 7200 is a good number.

8. N-a-z-g-u-l

N-a-z-g-u-l

Resources:
    Maps:
    JASS:
    Resources:
  9. hookah

hookah

Resources:
    Resources:
    I had 0 income bug.
    we destroyed all my units and even with the starting commander I could built anything. I attached the replay. (have fun watching how I get owned 2 times in 1 game:D)

Attached Files:

10. Piranha89

Piranha89

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I played this map and the other Supcom variations with friends and bots. There are some things i want to mention:

-Flying missiles and grafics fit well with the units, keep that up

-The insane range of weapons makes the gameplay very lame and uninteresting though the system itself is cool.
    -Upgraded shields are very expensive. You can get about 3 normal shields for this price, thats far more effective and still quite lame.
    -T2/T3 energy generators take far too much time to build as i guess. There should also be an option to upgrade T1 generators.
    -Bots lagg hard.
    -Bots dont tech for anything, just mass T1 units. If you go for T2 factory on start, its a free win as long as the game does not become unplayable due to laggs.
    -Small height variations on the ground very often stop tank or tower missiles. Please dont make them fly that streight ahead.
    -Survivor mode does not work on all maps.

11. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am not the game creator but I'd like to answer a few of your comments.

First of all, Nazgul aka bob666 has gotten tired of the project itself and probably won't be making a lot of changes anytime soon if at all.

Ranges, I agree need to be fixed.

Upgraded shields vs normal shields - upgraded shield is better because it doesn't take up as much unit food which is very important.

T2/T3 Generators take as long to build as they do in the real game, they're should take a long time since they don't require a deposite like mass and it would be foolish to even have the resource in the first place if it was easy to get. (aka unbalanced)

Like the real game, this one has a certain level of system requirements and if something lags for you, it doesn't lag for all. (what I mean is, I don't get this, and I don't hear of anyone else getting it so your on your own)

Comps do suck, I wish he would improve them, but as a competative player, I wouldn't put that on high priority unlike things such as balance.

There is an official site where you can find more discussion. Supreme Commander

12. light bolt30

light bolt30

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    lol this map is kool

i've also got supreme commander and its epic

13. Piranha89

Piranha89

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Finally!

Thank you for keeping up that map pack. I have been sending an e-mail to btanks.net in order to ask you to go on and I'm really glad you did :wink:
    Additional thanks to your work on some of the points i mentioned before, that greatly increased the gameplay.

4.5/5=5/5

14. TM-Magic

TM-Magic

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    First off, to TKF, would u want to sit there and download a map with all that put into it? I think not. Downloading something like that on warcraft would take hours. And lets face it, not everyone can get the map from hive or the subcom website.

Sir Laggalot, I agree, taking extreme measures should allow you to survive extreme attacks, but I dont' think he's going to work on this anymore either so >> someone else should do it ;P

If I knew more about JASS I'd work on this map myself and balance it but I don't and I don't have time to learn so w/e.