• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Suggested Anti-Viruses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
Hi, my nortan subscription ran out, and id rather not pay a ridiculous amount for another year or so :/

1. Apparently though, if i pay it (for subscription on nortan) it only stops real time intrusions and things like that, right now it still scans what i download and scans my computer...does it remove bad content still though? My other option is to just reformat my computer and put in my recovery disks since it comes with a 30 day nortan subscrip, dunno if that will work 100% and if its really worth it :/
  2. I tried avira, its soooo slow...and it keeps pestering me to buy their product or to upgrade like nearly everyday. It annoys me so much that i see it more of a adware peice than a anti-virus.
  3. I think I tried the anti virus called Avast, but apparently I have to remove my nortan and avira for it to work, and i do not like that idea at all.
  4. Any suggestions for good antiviruses that also work to stop realtime intrusions and viruses? Something fast, easy to download, free (or cheap, as in -$20 AUD ) and will last for at least over half a year trial or subscription.
Please if you have any download suggestions please direct me to the official site or I will not download the file.

Please do not suggest:

• Avira (stupid and annoying)
  • Avast (not compastible with my current AVs)
  • Nortan (I have it, dont want to buy a subscrip)
  • Spybot (weak, not effective at killing)
  • Pc cillian (had bad encounters with this in the past)
  • AVG (Its far tooo slow and sluggish)

Thankyou.

Level 11
Level 9
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 (they've released 9.0)' is the best brand I've came across. Any attempt by a malicious program or code is automatically detected, blocked, and you're notified of the problem and where it's originating from. This AV is extremely easy to use, I haven't had any problems with this AV since I got it in July, and I've avoided a lot of viruses or potential problems because of this AV. Sometimes the AV will detect something if you're trying to install a clean program or game, but this only shows how good it is at detecting XYZ. If you're serious about protecting your comp, you should consider getting Kaspersky. I payed $60 for one year, which is well above what you're looking for in the price range (tbh, you arn't going to find a good AV for $20 less), however, $60 for one year for Kaspersky is more than worth it. I'd go for it.

You can find their site at http://www.kaspersky.com/

I'd get rid of Norton, btw. Norton is a horrible AV.

Level 36
See, the reason I like Symantec is because it's so lightweight.

I'd use normal old Nortons, but it's such a resource hog, whereas Symantec is meant to run on servers, so it doesn't take up much memory, CPU power, it scans hella fast, and the interface loads quickly and is easy to use.

Plus, Liveupdate keeps you absolutely up to date when it comes to virus definitions, which is how I like it.

Whatever you think, though.

Level 34
Or, instead of buying a new one, you could just be smart with where you go and what you download on the internet. I manage to have never gotten spyware or a virus, without the aid of a single anti-malacious software program. So, if I can do it, so can you! :D
I'd call that luck. I scan things before downloading often, and I still get viruses.

As well, if you haven't scanned, how do you know if you have any? They can be dormant.

Level 31
I'd call that luck. I scan things before downloading often, and I still get viruses.

As well, if you haven't scanned, how do you know if you have any? They can be dormant.

Well geek squad used to do a free scan at they're site. And, I have had this com for like 5 years. lol I know it's old. (It's my laptop)

I believe Yahoo did a free scan once too. No one does that anymore though. lol

Level 34
I'd suggest Kaspersky Anti-Virus, or Sympatic. I use AVG Free since i don't like paying for protection, and I can just wipe my HDD when it has serious problems.

Level 6
well, if you dont want to pay...---> AVG Free
NOD32 is the best.I used it.or try the other one eset smart security...
Avast? never used it.
Kasperky is great and if i am not rong the K give you Attacker IP if you attacked/hacked when online.

That is a little review

Level 45
Id rather cut off my limbs and burn my laptop than to ever experience Ubuntu again. Id rather stick with Windows regardless of its holes as its suitable for my needs and how iv been raised with computers. I want a piece of clay, not play dough. I dont care if my clay dries.

In other words, id rather stick with windows and get virus's than get linux/ubuntu and live with something so foreign to my current needs, not flexible for my needs and annoying.

But id still rather protect myself against viruses.

Status
Not open for further replies.