• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Annoying backdoor virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Yesterday I had to reinstall Windows. When I logged in, everything was laggy. And check it out, 109 processes! There are 80 svchost.exe process and the REAL one was only 7 (it's ran by system).
I encountered this before, but not 80. I thought to myself 'Be patient, I'll just use the microsoft malware removal tool.' and heck, I couldn't even right click (because of laggy) and forced me to restart it.
I booted in safe mode, which only had 10 processes. I scanned using Avira, spybot, and microsoft malware removal tool. But no detections (because it's on safe mode?) couldn't run those on normal mode, too laggy.
Any suggestion?

Level 22
Well if what you say is true, then you installed a backdoored Windows installation.
In which case just get another Windows installation, as a backdoored one is not worth the effort of fixing (some might not even be possible to remove depending on how well the OS was backdoored).

Level 27
Well if what you say is true, then you installed a backdoored Windows installation.
In which case just get another Windows installation, as a backdoored one is not worth the effort of fixing (some might not even be possible to remove depending on how well the OS was backdoored).

So you say that, well, he has a pirated version of Windows?

Level 27
The 80 were running under my Username, and I can stop it without warning (the real one will warn you). But then they came again.

If it's not System, Local Service or Network Service, but your username, then yes, those are viruses. Definetly.

Oh, so it's ok for Windows to have lots of svchosts, DSG? Thanks, I was kinda concerned about those... I don't have much of them, but they do draw some suspicion from time to time.

Level 22
If it's not System, Local Service or Network Service, but your username, then yes, those are viruses. Definetly.

Oh, so it's ok for Windows to have lots of svchosts, DSG? Thanks, I was kinda concerned about those... I don't have much of them, but they do draw some suspicion from time to time.

Yes, DSG is right, let me warn you though, local service svchost can be a virus too. I don't remember for the other two you mentioned currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.