• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft II Models Archive — Models S.O.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I read somewhere that the Footman, Grunt, Ghoul and Archer would be included in Starcraft II as an easter egg. It seems that either it was speculation or a wrong information; either way, they don't seem to have made it to the retail version.
People attempted to do sci-fi projects in Warcraft III and it's highly probable that there will be attempts to make medieval/fantasy projects in Starcraft II. Thanks to a few Starcraft models included in Warcraft III, as well as the technological nature of a few others (Dwarfs', for example), there was a relative ease to transit from a medieval themed game to a sci-fi one.
In Starcraft II, though, there is little, with the exception the tilesets, of course, which can be used to make anything look medieval. Remember that we're not just talking about the unit models, but buildings, doodads and destructibles, effects, and projectiles as well.

With this thread, I want to ask who's planning to make these medieval-themed models for Warcraft III and keep track of the already made ones. I know I saw remakes of the Blademaster and the Demon Hunter, for example, but I did not save the links, so I'd appreciate if someone linked to them.

I may also keep track of other models, just so I'm not forced to edit a register of them* in some dark corner of the forum or in a pastebin, even if they're sci-fi, so do post links to all existing models for SC2 that you find, please.

Author

Model designation (by Rui)

Download mirror

Previews/Screenshots

Forsworne(@SC2Mapster) 1. Dark Protoss nonexistent in Wings of Liberty
2. Tassadar model with no glow
DarkScout.jpg
Tassadar.jpg

GnaReffotsirk(SC2Mapster)
1. StarCraft 1 Protoss Carrier
2. Protoss Shuttle
3. Zerg Brood Mother
4. Zerg Guardian
1&2&3&4. "Starcraft Broodwar Models"
Set1.jpg

k10forgotten(SC2Mapster)
1. StarCraft 1 Protoss Reaver (made out of Sentries)"Sentry Reaver (.max)"

Taylor_Mouse
?. Aragorn 1. UNAVAILABLE

Triceron (@SC2Mapster)
1. Orc Blademaster, Night Elf Demon Hunter
2. Zerg Tyrant, Zerg Harbinger
3. WarCraft Human Footman
4. WarCraft Orc Grunt
5. Skeletal Orc
1. UNAVAILABLE
2. UNAVAILABLE
3. "Warcraft Footman Model"
4. UNAVAILABLE
5. UNAVAILABLE
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
90564d1286371981-models-s-o-s-first-sc2-custom-model-almost-finished-harbinger_10.gif

Footman_Poses.jpg
Skeleton_Poses.jpg

UltiDrgn(SC2Mapster)
1. Worgen Marine 1. "Worgen Marine"

Underp4ntz "Chrizz"(SC2Mapster)
1. Hybrid Zergling
2. Hybrid Hydralisk
3. General Horace Warfield of the Terran Dominion
1&2. "Hybrid Zerg"
3. "General Warfield"
hybrid_zerg_wip.jpg.-m1.png
warfield_1.jpg

Joint-made models

Authors

Model designation (by Rui)

Download mirror

Previews/Screenshots

* mParfait
* UltiDrgn
StarCraft 1 Protoss Reaver "SC2 Reaver Model"
Reaver.jpg

Last edited:
Level 11
I'm definitely planning to do some medieval models, at least for my campaign, but they're still far from done, since I just started learning modelling (and making a high-res dragon with good anims out of nothing is going to be an absolute pita :/ ).

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Models from Warcraft III have .mdx and .mdl extension, and Starcraft II's have .m3 (I think?) extension. On top of this, Starcraft II models use three textures, one of them being a specular map. So you cannot just export them from Warcraft III and import them to Starcraft II, no.
That is all I know -- I'm no expert in this field; from my point of view, those models seem to have some freehand put into them.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You can, but they'd look terrible and not fitting at all. The models I got screenshots from up there clearly have more polygons than the original. And yes, like mrzwach said, the bottom image on both of them is a comparison between the Warcraft III original and Triceron's work.

Level 11
Yeah, but you would have to convert everything at once, or else low poly models would contrast horribly and look really bad compared to the higher poly models (even so, the extreme detail in the environment vs the 2003 era graphics for the units would be bad looking). Essentially, it would be playing WC3 in SC2, and if you want that, why would you want to create the map in SC2 anyways? :|

Level 22
Models from Warcraft III have .mdx and .mdl extension, and Starcraft II's have .m3 (I think?) extension. On top of this, Starcraft II models use three textures, one of them being a specular map. So you cannot just export them from Warcraft III and import them to Starcraft II, no.
That is all I know -- I'm no expert in this field; from my point of view, those models seem to have some freehand put into them.

And? Let me tell you how he probably do it, I dont even have max, that's just a logical assumption: You take the war3 model import it in 3ds max, modify it to make more round shapes, taking the war3 texture you create a specular, diffusive, normal (aka orange/purple) texture out of the war3 one and then using a method like Mr Bob's thread you combine them. Thus, imported from war3, modified a little, created the other textures out of the main, imported into sc2. Unanimated im pretty sure and to the point - yes taken from war3, the shapes are obvious.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Lower the tone. I already said I'm no expert in this area; in fact, I know only the little I can absorb off occasional conversations.

I'd really like to know if there are any other models or modelers thinking of creating medieval & fantasy-themed works out there.

Level 9
The thing with normal maps, if done right, is that you could actually make a low poly lets say from WC3 look much detailed. So maybe wc3 models can be used as base models then do a high poly of it, project its normals to the low poly one.saves time instead of actually making everything from scratch..but then again I prefer doing models from scratch
Count me in, I'm planning to do lots of medieval/fantasy/steampunk themed models..(for SC2WC4 actually)..but since AFAIK there's still no tool to convert models into .m3 format which SC2 uses I have not yet started any..that and plus the fact that I have little to none free time atm..but a few props won't take much time so we'll see..
Well maybe a community project or something can be considered in the future..to recreate WC3 models or simply fantasy/medieval themed ones, modelers? texture artists?

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
If you have the right tools, you can definitely transfer any Warcraft 3 unit into Starcraft 3.

WoW support is functional now as well, and the models in WoW are a lot closer to SC2 polycounts than Warcraft 3 would be. The main things that are missing would be specular and normal maps, which would have to be created/added; but for the most part WoW models seem to look pretty decent in SC2 as is.

As for normal maps for Warcraft 3 units, I would sort of advise against it. Many aren't even UV'd properly to allow the normal map detail to show. It's easier to rebuild new meshes.

Level 9
As for normal maps for Warcraft 3 units, I would sort of advise against it. Many aren't even UV'd properly to allow the normal map detail to show. It's easier to rebuild new meshes.

I agree..:thumbs_up: and for me it is much more fulfilling to make something from scratch rather than edit old ones.agree?:grin:

Triceron

Level 11
Blender is vastly more powerful than Milkshape, and supports more features required by current gaming tech. NiNtoxicated01, the creator of the current .M3 exporter for Max and .MDX/L converters for Max, has a poll on SC2mapster about making plugins for Blender.

TBH if Hive doesn't take a stronger stance on SC2 modding, I don't really see a point wasting time here when all the necessary resources and active community is readily available at SC2mapster. Hive will always be valued as a War3 modding source, but for serious SC2 modding, I recommend moving on to where it matters.

- Update - It appears a working exporter for Blender has been created by Stante.

http://www.sc2mapster.com/assets/blender-m3-plugin/

Last edited:
Reactions: Rui
Level 22
The prob with 3Ds Max is, some of us are not some serious modelers. Some would do models casually and rarely. 1.5 GB and tons of tools and things to learn that some will never use, that's too much for a casual modeler and that's what 3DS max is.

For war3 it isnt crap. I've always liked Milkshape, 17MB and you can work so easily with it. I joke with Blender cause it has interesting associations as you can see. Such lame name not to say a new program, I wouldn't like it. But if Gmax is not an option then I'd definitely go with Blender. I heard Gmax not so good choice or apparently the majority in sc2 would use 3ds max or blender like in war3 it was 3ds max or ms3d.

Level 18

Triceron

Level 11
Looks like some reskinned models from other games to me. But still good work.

Why did the creator didn't bother to create new animations for the models? It's not that hard to make once you did all the bone skinning and stuff.

The Tyrant is completely my own design and creation, nothing was used from other Zerg units.

My goal for this unit is to try and produce a model that would fit seamlessly into Starcraft 2. Creating bones and animations is not hard, but it is time consuming. The exporter also does not support rigging tools such as Biped or CAT, so the animation process using Max's basic tools would take me much longer to create, as I am not a Max user. Reusing animations saves me time, time I am using to create more models.

Level 49
Triceron, they both look great; the Harbringer looks like an infested commander, e.g. one that Kerrigan created to serve as a field commander or second-in-command to her. (According to the Wiki, Kerrigan always tried to do what the overmind did and create a 'perfect' infested human like herself, only that she was going to make sure it has a lot less power\influence than herself)
On a side note, it reminds me a lot of the Gestalt(Protoss-terran hybrid created by Dominion scientists), according to its appearance on the Wiki at least. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.