• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Starcraft II in stores in late July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
[...] I am worried about the lack of models. I mean in war3 you have all thos creeps, and that allowed you to create anything. [...]
That's something that I forgot to mention but has been on my mind for a while. The diversity of models was a great advantage for Warcraft III.

Don't you get it?
There is no way to convert a GUI script to custom code.
By this you mean that when you start a new trigger, you either make it GUI or script from thereon? Now that's bad news. In JASS, I am used to finding certain functions with effects I need by converting GUI events, conditions or actions to code (and find their native equivalent, in case they're BJs) so I know which function to use. I'm imagining that in Galaxy's script we'll just have to search through a functionlist in the Internet and read their effects every time?

Level 11
Like I said, SC2 could have more custom models then war3, but like Rui mentioned, war3 will probably have more diversity. War3 has creeps, which allows a lot of different races of creeps (trolls, gnolls, dragons, revenants...). SC2 Doesn't have creeps thus, most units will be Zerg, Terran or Protos oriented, except for critters.
And about 2 expansions, as I understood, they are mostly there to split the campaign. I don't really think they will have to big of an impact to map making, unlike TFT.
Again, I hope I am very, very wrong, but logic points to that direction...

Level 11
I just hope I will be able to run the thing on my pc. I managed to run Supreme Commander vanilla on everything low, and it works perfectlly on smaller maps (10x10 km). I don't think SC2 should be asking for more then Sup Com, right?

Level 11
Anachron forgets that today, most RTSes have a few strategy developed by veterans. There are usually 3 races and all of them have 2-3 tactics that are used often. That is life. War3 is different because he has a lot of support units, that do almost no dmg, but cast useful buff spells.

As for editor, I doubt its crap, but I newer got to use it. Biggest reason why people here (Hive) are looking forward to SC2 is the editor, not the game. I bet most would like a WarCraft 4 better, but oh well.

Level 17
Honestly, for all those who do not have a beta key: WAIT for SC2. Until yet it's bad, I can only highly recommend everyone to wait for blizzard fixing some big points.

The editor is crap, the gameplay as well (There are 2,3 tactics you will win 100% if the other one doesn't know how to defend).
You honestly have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Level 11
The editor is crap, the gameplay as well (There are 2,3 tactics you will win 100% if the other one doesn't know how to defend).
What exactly are you comparing the editor to?

Also, I use a wide variety of strategies and win on a regular basis in gold. Unless you are talking about lame cheese tactics, but still, its your own fault if you do something like that and then don't have fun.

You honestly have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
Oh alright, I am having RTS experience for 10 years now, do you really think I don't know what I am talking about? I tested tons of RTS games and imho I don't think SC2 will be that great if they don't even allow GUI to be converted.

Level 10
I am very sure that someone will create program which will convert GUI to GALAXY script code. I mean War3 has very much programs. I really hope there won't be bot programs any time soon cause bots ruined War3 user hosting - everyone joined bot games only, since bots filled all custom game browser and usually has good delay/no lag.

Level 9
WAIIIT, WE have undergone transformations throughout these years (JNGP, model editor, etc) and thats what makes it so powerful. how are u certain that nobody will make another JNGP outa galaxy? i remembered when WE was out and everyone was like wow. it didnt have more functions than galaxy have now and it is through the comments we give and those things we did that make WE better than galaxy now. im really sure galaxy will turn out fine. from the beta editor i can really see how much terrains are gona evolve. paint your own terrain? infinite height limits? this is really revolutionary. come on people, they will improve it through patches like how WE is. get my point?

from my viewpoint, we have enough units in sc2 to make those things you want (fantasy, etc). heard the plot yet? kerrigan is going to raise an army. im also pretty sure another race will pop out to defend. after counting all the creeps that sc have on every planet (walking dinoes, flying birds) it should have more than wc3's creeps. with addition to the number of creeps sc2 is going to release (you have not seen the campaign yet so you can never guess what they are releasing) and maybe they are releasing all wc3's units (primary reason is because of DOtA. those people at blizz would love icefrog to make a dota in sc2) so i would guess it should be more than enough.

well, thats what sc2 is about. if you had sc2 for years and wc3 suddenly releases, the same comments will come out from your mouth (not futuristic enough, etc) so i guess you all need time to get used to sc2's overly sci-fi. i have alreay ordered mine and it will arrive as a belated birthday present (awww)

Level 3
I feel like I'm the only one not being excited about SCII, I mean, I'm pretty sure WC3 will just be forgotten, and I still think it's a great game, even though it's old . .

Rui

Rui

Level 41
[...] Biggest reason why people here (Hive) are looking forward to SC2 is the editor, not the game. I bet most would like a WarCraft 4 better, but oh well.
You bet.

ACdestinydream said:
well, thats what sc2 is about. if you had sc2 for years and wc3 suddenly releases, the same comments will come out from your mouth (not futuristic enough, etc) so i guess you all need time to get used to sc2's overly sci-fi.
Who's mouth? The same complaints will be written, but I doubt there are those many people contradicting themselves. I like medieval fantasy, you will not read otherwise from my posts unless I get tired of it, which I doubt I will.

Level 24
Oooops !

This just came in:
untitled.jpg

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Honestly, the beta is nothing compared to the full game so do not feel like you missed out on much those of you without it.

You will not have to put up with the problems the beta players had, you will have like 50% more content and on top of that there will be 100000s of more players in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.