1. Triumph has risen from these uncharted shores. The 34th Modeling Contest Results are out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Awaken what lies in the heart of your swarm. The 17th Techtree Contest has arrived!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Hive Workshop is launching its first HD modelling contest. How HD should it be?
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff Job Openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

StarCraft II Editor too hard for you?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by Statharas, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

2. DeadZero

DeadZero

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's not the only reason they made it "harder", all the things are easier to
    do then WE, if you mastered both WE and GE the same, GE would be quicker,
    easier, faster. It's just harder to master. And it does an ass load of a lot
    more.
    So I agree, don't complain...

And to be honest, it's not that much harder to master than WE, at least in my
    opinion, it just may seem like it for the people who have WE mastered.

3. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The WE isn't even easier; people have the same hurdles learning it. It's just familiar to all of the Warcraft modders here.

4. StormWarriors2

StormWarriors2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well it is getting easier. Its just i can't find files some times D:. like my custom characters dissappered. Somehow. And i really like it. But problem is, that it is harder to learn how to do stuff.

5. Robbepop

Robbepop

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    hiho,

in my opinion the only thing which is really difficult in the new GE is the data editor.
    all other sub-editor within the GE are simple as the ones in world edit.
    data editor is an important and huge part of GE and i don't understand some things, for example why you need an actor for every single unit and not multiple units for a single actor which would make more sense in my mind, but well ...

Robbepop

6. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    i agree

take one of your friends who have never touched either editor and let them decide

7. Rispetto

Rispetto

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In a few months.. or knowing Blizzard a few years.. this will all change.
    Eventually they will hear the cry of the lonely virgin gamer and they will fix their flaws (I pray as such, at least) and everything will be more user-friendly anyways. Thus voiding your argument. Just suck it up till it happens <.<

8. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd say WE was easier, at least at first. I had no problem using the editor right away at the age of 12 or so (doing simple things). Now at 20, I found the new editor quite confusing simply because there is more you can do. Not complaining, I just disagree with you.

9. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ya but, the huge problem is that it was never intended to be user friendly, you all thought it would be user friendly to noobs and whatnot. You cant learn it? great, your not supposed to. i cant learn calculus, that doesnt mean that a squad of math geeks should make calculus easier :con:

10. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Blizzard will NEVER make it easier to understand. Debug it, sure. BUT THEY WON'T. FRIGGIN. SIMPLIFY IT.

If they simplified it, the Bnet would have 5 times MORE maps than it currently has.

11. Rispetto

Rispetto

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But by simplifying it you open the creative mind.
    For example.. I'd love to make a map like Metastasis (wc3 platform). I have hundreds of ideas and ways to implement them into a map, but not the know-how. For example I can make a variable worth sh*t. If they simplified it, and made it much less of a learn curve, I might have a shot at making gamers happy.

Y'know?

12. syltman

syltman

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's not a question about simplifying it but rather giving us more tools and options, why can't I for instance have the option to copy the entire unit including models, sounds, actors and edit those that I'd like insteed of having to copy the unit, actor and model of the same guy? Why don't I have the option to edit the pitch of the sound more then one sound at the time, like a option to change for every sound of a unit? Why can't I write galaxy directly insteed of having to use the slowgui or spending time importing my scripts into the map? It's these small stuff that are just time wasters and it's retarded.

Also why is there no tool like GMSI implemented in GE so I can easily write scripts to edit stuff way quicker then spending time waiting for the GE to load lists and generate units etc.

Oh and maps will obviously be more crappy when we have to spend most of the time copy and pasting shit.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  13. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    lets put it this way.

I thought WE was harder than SC1's editor when i first started.
    now its the same effect with WE and SCII

but i don't think it's because it actually IS harder, it's just a different editor i need to get familiar with

14. Avo

Avo

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The only thing a i REALLY hate about the GE is creating units. The WE's object editor was pretty terrible but this is worse. Other than that the rest of the editor is amazing.

15. WaremDarkslayer

WaremDarkslayer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sure, I'll read tutorials but the problem is... where the hell can I find any?
    Also I don't think the GE is much harder than WE; just an editor much like WE with more features. (Aloooot more)

16. Giantr

Giantr

Resources:
    Resources:
    There are some tutorials on Hive's.
    Sc2mapster has some
    Gex's site Sc2Mod has more

Also
    Here
    and
    Here
    and
    Here

and
    Here

This is also interesting to read

There are tutorials you just need to look for some.

17. WaremDarkslayer

WaremDarkslayer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Giantr
    Thanks a lot. +rep

18. MySpaceBarBroke

MySpaceBarBroke

Resources:
    Resources:
    Because that's clearly stopping them.

One of the most popular custom maps on there is Starcraft: Ghost. Go on. Log on to Battle.net and play it. Then come back and tell me that you can't spam Battle.net with crappy maps.

All the custom maps currently on Battle.net are either broken or mind-meltingly simplistic, so don't tell me this is about "preventing crappy maps".
    You may disagree with all your might, but part of a good map editor is user-friendliness. It was playing around with the original Starcraft's editor that introduced me and got me hooked on the entire concept of game modding in the first place. Warcraft 3 was a bit more complex, but it was still comprehensible and therefore more rewarding for its efforts.

Starcraft 2 just looks like Blizzard gave up entirely on user-friendliness. It's sloppy, and it's unmotivated compared to what we expect from them. Yes, we'd love more features. No, we don't want you to throw them all on the ground in some huge depressing pile.
    If Blizzard has to rely on users to tell other users how to work the editor, they're not doing their fucking job.
    No. Seriously, stop that.

You're not a scientist. You're not a full-time game developer. You're a gamer. Just like everyone else on Battle.net. You actually want to encourage less people to be interested in the mapmaking process? Get off your fucking high horse.

You can't alienate the average gamer, amateur modder. A while back, you were the amateur modder, and if you, in your younger stages, were curious and decided to take a peek at the Galaxy Editor, you would have been driven out like it had herpes. This shouldn't happen.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  19. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The editor is mostly fine. Yes the features meant to make it easier to use are slightly broken but overall using it is prety logical. The data editor as far as I can see makes sense (with exception of some unknown fields and the relationship table like I said being largly useless at helping you).

This is so funny... Especially since you signed the edtior ToU documentation agreeing that blizzard will not help you make maps. Thus you are saying you dissagree with something you agreed with. This really proves how valuable what you are saying is.

Look at it this way... Pretend each editor let you write programs. With starcraft you were writing programs with some crap scripting language, which was highly unflexiable. With warcraft 3 you were using python, which is more flexiable but harder to use. With starcraft II you are using C++, which can do much more but is hellishly complicated to learn. You do not blame people who make compilers if your program fails to work correctly, instead you should blame yourself for not using it properly.

What on earth made you think this? Considering I used GUI for a few months when I was 12 before switching imediatly over to jass, this would hardly be a challenge. To show the power of the SC2 editor out, I scripted a tetris like engine in 2 days using only raw scripting code.

People who make good mods will still make good mods despite the complexity of the editor. People who were not modding seriously will not be able to make decent maps because the editor is now a serious tool, and not some playground.

20. Avex

Avex

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wrong, we wanted a 3 difficulty editor, which is what they promised. What did they do? Avoid it.. suits me right for getting hopes for Blizzard. :hohum: