• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Star Wars - the ending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
So yeah i've just watched all star wars movies for the FIRST TIME EVER. I can't help it okay i've always skipped it.

Anyway, the ending... I mean at a few special effects i was like "wtf is happening" for example when Darth Vader gets struck down by luke from a platform and he litteraly only says "oh" or something... but at the ending i was like... oooooookaay. Happy ending, done with that.

Darth Vader hurls Darth Sidous into a pit as if he couldn't use the force to do that? And appareantly he hasn't gotten much of excericse latley because it seems that amount of psychical effort makes him DIE.

Did anyone else have have this, I wouldn't know because it's the first time I even saw the whole thing.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Actually, if you watch closely, the Emperor used his Sith Lightning or whatever it's called on Vader. As he got a lot of mechanical parts, it fried the systems that kept him alive, leaving him very weakened.

So yeah, even if he didn't throw the Emperor down the pit, he would still die anyway.

I'm such a nerd.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Well, as you said, they didn't think much about the ending, made the thing feel rushed or something. For me it was around this movie George Lucas started losing his creativity, resulting in the (in my opinion) dull Phantom Menace.

Level 17
Vader was weakened from his fight with Luke, he probably didnt have the strengh to use the force. Also, the emperor was facing Luke. He can't just force push him towards him, or randomly into the wall to one of his sides. (where palpatine can just shock him as he gets up)

So he picked him up and threw him away.

Code:
Well, as you said, they didn't think much about the ending, made the thing feel rushed or something. For me it was around this movie George Lucas started losing his creativity, resulting in the (in my opinion) dull Phantom Menace.

George Lucas gets too much flak. It's his franchise and it was originally intended for kids. Phantom Menace, Clone Wars and the Revenge of the Sith weren't bad movies, they just were geared more towards his original demographic... Actually, Revenge of the Sith gets pretty gruesome, while Phantom Menace is literally a kids movie.

It sort of works, it's like we view the original trilogy from Anakin's perspective. His innocent youth, to his deluded adolescence that leads him to the dark side. I'm not a big fan of the Phantom Menace, but Clone Wars was okay and Revenge of the Sith was pretty good.

Lucas is a genius for bringing the lore to life. It's the setting, and the background and the universe that's compelling, not just the movies. Appreciate Star Wars for what it is.

HFR

HFR

Level 22
halo is better

images

Level 14
Well tbh, even as a kid that scene felt strange.

I mean they could use the force to rip objects from their place etc etc, and the emperor couldn't rip anything from the walls, to stop his falling and like force push that object on which he was standing in order to save his skin?

It always felt strange, but I take it as it is. Either way the Star Wars series is great. Although Phantom Menace sucks. My favorite parts are II and V though.

Level 26
My biggest issue is with the guy playing anakin. He is whiny and acts without thinking. It would've made more sense if the guy was arrogant, after all, being acknowledged as a person with more power than the everyday jedi would've made him more arrogant. Obi Wan is not the wise and patient man as he is portrayed in the fourth movie. (I'm meaning in the orginal 1987 version. Not the "re-re-remake" by lucas, that one is shitty as fuck).

His transition into the dark side is awkward at best. The fact that he turns so quickly is really fucking stupid. The whole "I'm good.. Er, now I'm confused.. er.. whooo yeaah I am evil now. Look at my glowing eyes." doesn't work. It plays against the established role of Anakin and annoys the hell out of me. What makes it even more awkward is that the whole transition from good to evil happens during the span of a minute.

To be quite honest, the way that Obi Wan acts in two and three, is a much more believable role for how Darth Vader would've been when he was young. Obi Wan is rash, arrogant and was trained by a man who broke the rules and very annoyed at the limited power he had. The whole "I must save you from the dark and horrible future I saw in my nightmares" doesn't work. Seriously.

Just think of the first line said by Vader when Luke meets him. "I am the master now, jedi". Which then is countered by "Only a master of evil, darth". Now try picturing Anakin saying that line.

As for my biggest issues with the old classics is the fact that the old classics are being modified, changed and ruined by Lucas. He didn't write the classics by himself, he had a team that worked with him to make it awesome. He may have the rights for the movie, but it's mean to change a classics just because he alone is not satisfied with it. It's an old movie, it's supposed to have flaws, that's what gives old movies charm.

The fact that Vader died shortly after realizing his mistakes was not a bad ending, but a clever ending. He died realizing he had done mistakes that he could not make up for.
But turned his back to the dark side, thus becoming.. good-ish. Then he dies. Think about how the survivors would've seen the guy.

"Oh, he killed my family, destroyed my planet, he's one of the good guys now? fuck that. I'm bringing out my gun and killing that bastard."
He was the number one enemy in their universe. Him asking to be friends wouldn't work, seriously. XD

Also, the reason why Darth Vader didn't use the force was most likely to emphasize the struggle he had with turning away from the dark side, as he had been with it for so long. Or something, at least it makes more sense than "his power is drained".

Level 51
I seriously hope you watched them like this:

Episode 4 - Episode 5 - Episode 6 - Episode 1 -Episode 2 - Episode 3

If not, then sir, you made a big mistake.

And also, I don't get why you think the switch of Anankin to the dark side. You know he got "corrupted" by Palpatine and he just wanted to "defend" Patme. In his protecting and controlling-madness he switched to the dark site, which got used by Palpatine.

Level 26
I seriously hope you watched them like this:

Episode 4 - Episode 5 - Episode 6 - Episode 1 -Episode 2 - Episode 3

If not, then sir, you made a big mistake.

And also, I don't get why you think the switch of Anankin to the dark side. You know he got "corrupted" by Palpatine and he just wanted to "defend" Patme. In his protecting and controlling-madness he switched to the dark site, which got used by Palpatine.

It doesn't matter. He turned to the dark side as if he had been affected by a game mechanic that makes him switch sides within a minute. It's not corruption, that's bad writing.

Also, I did watch the first three films. (Episode 4,5 and 6) Multiple times before watching the Next three films.

The "first" is horrible. (Episode 1) Crappy. Also, jarjar binks sucks. I like the battle droids though, they are awesome. To be quite honest, the robots and mechanical things in the movies are top notch. Story wise, it's weak. The first movie is pretty damn weird. Oh, you're a kid, a former slave at the age of 13 and here is a queen at the age of 18-19. Who in their right mind would assume these people would hook up if you hadn't seen the first three movies?

The second is okay, the action is nice, the movie is generally nice, I just don't like how Anakin is, as I said before. Obi Wan is also pretty bad as well imo.

Oh and the scene where Yoda starts fighting is silly. Cool, but silly. How are you expected to take a movie seriously when the old man with the cane suddenly is capable of moving and fighting without the use for it anymore? Then why does he have a cane?

The third movie is simply rushed and forced. The ending of it, specifically. Like the second movie, it has cool elements to it, but it's lacking in general. It suffers the fate of most modern movies. Focus on special effects while losing focus on story and plot.

Level 26
It's not a movie that everyone watches when you're a kid. The old movies are considered classics, the new movies are simply milking those classics while Lucas are destroying the old movies.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either. I saw the star wars movies when I was little, but I have a friend in his twenties who haven't seen them yet.

But hey, saving a good movie is awesome, because you'll enjoy it longer. Although if you began with episode 1, then I am not so sure.

Level 14
Phantom Menace is praised for it's Lightsaber fighting. Which along with the one from Episode V, I think they are the best. I really liked Darth Maul as a character, too bad he only had one line and died at the end of Episode 1. He is way above Count Duku. Phantom Menace just seems it has no relation with the SW series other than "How Anakin was found". It doesn't participate to the plot at all.

Level 51
It doesn't matter. He turned to the dark side as if he had been affected by a game mechanic that makes him switch sides within a minute. It's not corruption, that's bad writing.

I'm just not okay with that. I'm not able to tell why buut... saying that George Lucas made a bad writing is hurting me in some way :D

Also, I did watch the first three films. (Episode 4,5 and 6) Multiple times before watching the Next three films.

Good so.

The "first" is horrible. (Episode 1) Crappy. Also, jarjar binks sucks. I like the battle droids though, they are awesome. To be quite honest, the robots and mechanical things in the movies are top notch. Story wise, it's weak. The first movie is pretty damn weird. Oh, you're a kid, a former slave at the age of 13 and here is a queen at the age of 18-19. Who in their right mind would assume these people would hook up if you hadn't seen the first three movies?

Wtf were you smoking?! Episode one is the best one of them all ^^ The writing is perfect, the action is not too much, not too few. And the thing with Anakin, that was because Qui Gon Chin (I don't know how to write it proberbly) saw the prophet in him, and so he took him with him. And the thing with the age difference. They are coming togeter a few years later, where he is proberbly 20 and she is 28. And come on, like that wouldn't happen in real life too.

Oh and the scene where Yoda starts fighting is silly. Cool, but silly. How are you expected to take a movie seriously when the old man with the cane suddenly is capable of moving and fighting without the use for it anymore? Then why does he have a cane?

The reason why Yoda is able to fight like this, is one of the seven lightsaber-fighting techniques. It IS especially known for it's wild and spectecular jumping. And Yoda is one of the mightiest creatures ever lived, he trained thousands of Jedi-Padawans. He lived through ages of wars and fights, don't tell me he wouldn't "need" it anymore.

The third movie is simply rushed and forced. The ending of it, specifically. Like the second movie, it has cool elements to it, but it's lacking in general. It suffers the fate of most modern movies. Focus on special effects while losing focus on story and plot.

You do of course know, that the Episodes were wrote one after the other? And I think it's a great addition and cleares all the facts that need to be cleard for Episode 4. Ofc. it is not as good as the other parts, I need to agree with that.

In the end it's always a personal opinion ofc. :)

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Usually people only remember 3 things when talking about The Phantom Menace: The Pod race, the awesome lightsaber duel at the end and how much Jar Jar sucks.

I find it the weakest of the series overall, but there's a bunch of stuff worth seeing.

Now for Attack of the Clones, it's a pretty good sequel, I liked all that stuff about the clone army being based on a mandalorian mercenary (Boba Fett's father). And Count Dooku (or Dookan, like he's called here) is awesome.

The third movie of the prequels ties up nicely with the original trilogy, but some things were simply too rushed (like Padmé dying because she "lost the will to live").

But there's plenty of good stuff, like the spaceship battle at the beggining, the lightsaber duel in that lava planet and the final scene at Tatooine with that awesome music.

Also this:

Level 14
Wtf were you smoking?! Episode one is the best one of them all ^^ The writing is perfect, the action is not too much, not too few. And the thing with Anakin, that was because Qui Gon Chin (I don't know how to write it proberbly) saw the prophet in him, and so he took him with him. And the thing with the age difference. They are coming togeter a few years later, where he is proberbly 20 and she is 28. And come on, like that wouldn't happen in real life too.

Episode 1 is considered crap because:

1. They explained the Force as something less mystic and more into science. Ruined the whole description of what the Force was in the old series.

2. Jar Jar Binks (and in fact the whole Jar Jar tribe) we're too comical, completely ruined the seriosness presented in the old series where you would feel immersed into the story.

3. Too much stuff happening at the same time (Space Battles + Lightsabre Fighting + Armies Clashing + Palace Infiltration).

4. Darth Maul died.

Level 14
RIP... But episode IV was almost the same, everything happens fast there to.

The problem is not that stuff happens fast. The problem is that there are 4 different actions happening at the same time in Episode I.

Ewoks were cute, not clumsy. Somehow they didn't ruin the movie for me at all. I know a lot of people say that ewoks sucks, but they weren't nearly half as bad as the Jar Jar tribe.

Level 11
Obi Wan is not the wise and patient man as he is portrayed in the fourth movie.

It's true that the Obi-Wan in the third episode is quite different from the Obi-Wan in the 4th episode...but keep in mind, that between the 2 episodes, it has passed like 16-20 years...as in the end of the third episode, it showed the birth of Leia and Luke and in the 4th one they are teens, or young adults...

And Obi-Wan must have lived in isolation during that time to hide from the imperial forces, so probably he learned to take a wiser approach on things during that period

where have you been all this time if you haven't noticed the very strong trend of rash, impatient young people turning into wise old men?? It's everywhere.

At the time of watching of each of the movies, I really enjoyed them, that is, I was young when the first came out and liked it, bit older for the second and liked that too. The 2nd and 3rd work for young and older people because they have some story in them, as well as plenty of action and that kind of stuff.
As to Anakin's rapid change in the third movie, I kind of agree, but keep in mind that his belief is that the Senator has the power to actually save Padme from certain death and since he thinks with his privates rather than his brains (although they do have a loving relationship I suppose) he would do anything for her. I think it might even be implied that at these moments of weakness the emperor's powers can actually corrupt him further and turn him to his will?

As to the end - be honest, if Darth Vader had just done "lol force push into that drop bro" it wouldn't have been very monumental or anything. If you have to bitch about every single time an unconvential (by the standards of the movie/book/other) means is used for achieving the ultimate goal of said movie/book/other, you would be bitching about probably 99% of them.

Level 34
Since this is inevitably turning into "which of the two generations was better"...

The first three had Harrison Ford.

The last three didn't.

Level 34
Harrison Ford must be the luckiest guy in history, he didn't even try to become an actor and suddenly he is world famous.
I doubted the truth to this statement, so I looked it up.

Bio
After dropping out of Ripon College in Wisconsin, where he did some acting and later summer stock, he signed a Hollywood contract with Columbia and later Universal. His roles in movies and TV ("Ironside" (1967), "The Virginian" (1962)) remained secondary and, discouraged, he turned to a career in professional carpentry. He came back big four years later, however, as Bob Falfa in American Graffiti (1973). Four years after that he hit colossal with the role of Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
I think you would be hard put to find a famous actor that had no background in acting before making it big. I would go so far as to say no one simply becomes a professional anything without having some experience.

Level 11
You didn't knew who Harrison Ford is?

My god what's happening with people these days.

Well, i hardly remember the names of the actors, the ones i do are in movies i really like
Though Star Wars is a movie which was a big part of my childhood, still the first parts came out when i was young where knowing which actor place who is definetly out of your mind
It's true i watched that i watched the series when i was older too, but oh well, i kinda don't have any excuse here heheh...

Level 11
I doubted the truth to this statement, so I looked it up.

Bio
After dropping out of Ripon College in Wisconsin, where he did some acting and later summer stock, he signed a Hollywood contract with Columbia and later Universal. His roles in movies and TV ("Ironside" (1967), "The Virginian" (1962)) remained secondary and, discouraged, he turned to a career in professional carpentry. He came back big four years later, however, as Bob Falfa in American Graffiti (1973). Four years after that he hit colossal with the role of Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
I think you would be hard put to find a famous actor that had no background in acting before making it big. I would go so far as to say no one simply becomes a professional anything without having some experience.

I should check my sources more often. :d

What I've heard: He took acting courses but became a carpenter, got a role in SW:IV which made him famous.

Status
Not open for further replies.