• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spy/Detection Level system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is a hard problem:
I need a way to make two ability : Invisibility (for spy) and Detector (for unit and tower who detect spy)
The problem is that i need level for these ability:
Spy with level 5 cannot be detected by detector lower than level 4 but it can be detected by detector over or equal to level5.
Spy with level 7 cannot be detected by detector lower than level 6 but it canb be detected by detector over or equal to level 7.
please helpme ;)

Level 7
I don't know of any way to make that truly MUI by using innate WC3 invisibility mechanics. BUT maybe if it fits into the mechanics of your game, you could spawn a dummy 'revealer' unit anytime a spy comes into range of a detector that has adequate detection level via a triggered comparison of ability levels. OR you could trigger removal of the spy's invisibility buff.

Basically:
-Give the spy his invisibility spell as normal (lets say, something windwalk based)
-DONT give the detector any real way to reveal invisible units. Instead give him a dummy spell to level up (base of something like evasion or channel)
-Trigger when a spy comes into range of a detector unit, run a comparison between [level of invisibility for spy] vs. [level of detection for detector].
----If the spy is to be detected, then create a 'revealer dummy unit' that moves along with the spy (you could use triggers to do this, or some other method). Further mechanics could then be developed.
----OR IF the spy is to be detected, then simply remove the 'Windwalk' buff from the spy and he becomes revealed to all.

More advanced systems could certainly be developed based on this idea, and there's other ways to get around this I'm sure.

Level 7
yea...
seem good...
but there is only an error in your trigger
there is no buff, because the spy will use the pemanent invisibility spell...
so, is there any buff that makes unit invisible? then i will use the channel ability and maked it use this buff :)
just tell me what is the buff... thanks ;)

Ah yes, you can use 'Invisibility' (Sorceress) I think. Just have a dummy unit cast Invisibility on the spy when he learns the skill, and create a periodic event trigger that will continuously cast Invisibility on the spy as long as he is not within range of a detector. The default buff for this spell is 'Invisibility'.

You could probably develop the periodic trigger further so that it won't re-apply invisibility within a certain amount of time of the spy becoming visible, or if he has recently attacked something, or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.