• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
WELL; if you actually have a LOOK on my other post you will see my new hero suggestions ....
It is ok if you don't like it, but it that is the problem than say it to me and don't give me any false hope !

Also, i believe that i may have a complex idea for a spell for your nature's mage:
It is a spell i have in my map, but it is a different version for you (our map types are different and so the spell must be as well):
You could replace the shield (since it is very unbalanced and the shield model does take some memory space you could use);
Here it goes:
Nature Bound - Has a different effect depending on the enemy.
Forest Troll - transforms the troll into a tree for X seconds
DK - Damages the DK for 30% of current mana
Ogre - Knocks back the ogre, damaging him and units he hits. Destroys tress.
Deceiver - Silences the deceiver and decreases damage by X%
Nether Drake - Blinds the unit to ground and makes it miss attacks
Razormancer - Damages the unit by 30% of the unit's current hp
Murgols - Poison effect which will deal damage over time and eventually kill
Bandits - Transforms the unit into gold (change the color to yellow) by X seconds. If the unit dies while in the spell, it gives X extra gold to the killer
Allies - Heals by 30% of the mage's current hp (or you can make it depend on the type of hero)

I think that's all (lol).
This spell would be awesome for an ultimate as well, as it is very versatile. However the description would need a lot of space (or you can just say it makes a different effect depending on the type of unit).
If you accept this suggestion let me know ....

Also, you could use a hidden icon, from the tutorial, and therefore save MORE memory.

It is up to you now.

Also, for you frozen archer.
The archer is one of the most disappointing heroes .... It only has 1 new spell....
So here i give you some suggestions. This one Slightly modifies the frozen arrow ability.
Level 1 - Slows movement and attack
Level 2 - Level 1's effect and the enemy unit has a chance to miss the attacks
Level 3 - Level 1 and 2 effects plus the unit has a chance to be completely frozen for X seconds.

Another suggestion is to replace the Wind Walk spell with:
Frozen Blast: The archer shoots a frozen arrow in a direction so powerful, that it damages and slows all enemy units in that same line.(this spell is a modified version of the Axe from tauren but still more complex because it is a lot more different.)

Now you choose ...

And give me an answer ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 18
I like the idea of Nature Bound but that would be a huge spell and a different effect would have to be made for every unit on the map? That would be very hard. I may just decide one effect (perhaps per level it would change).

Frozen Archer Iced Arrow tweak is a great idea and I will probably use something like it. Vanish will stay though. It is basically the reason that people get the Frozen Archer. I may change Celestial Shield into a Mana Shield based Ability, because the shield is as well a main reason why people pick the Nature Mage. I'll think about it though.

Nite said:
I like the idea of Nature Bound but that would be a huge spell and a different effect would have to be made for every unit on the map? That would be very hard. I may just decide one effect (perhaps per level it would change).
It would be a big spell, and it would give a lot of work. But it is not impossible to achieve (I can do it if you need). Besides wouldn't it be awesome !?
And ofc, the effects are different depending the level, the bigget the level, bigger the effect.

Nite said:
Frozen Archer Iced Arrow tweak is a great idea and I will probably use something like it. Vanish will stay though. It is basically the reason that people get the Frozen Archer. I may change Celestial Shield into a Mana Shield based Ability, because the shield is as well a main reason why people pick the Nature Mage. I'll think about it though.
Bah vanish !? It is wind walk !!! No point .... want a cool spell ?? well, the Ranger in my map has this aura: When an allied unit reaches 20% of its hp, he has 40% to hide and get invisible. You get invis power as well... and allies can benefit from it !
Still, thx for saying that my forst arrow idea was cool.

Level 18
.... Hã !? What is "fret" !??! Is it getting angry ??
Anyway, np. It's your map, you are the boss. Check out my suggestion to your movie problem =).

Also, i suggest you the use of JASS, GUI leaks like hell, and is way much slower.

I use JASS where JASS is necessary (e.g. for local variables and certain actions that use them) Since I optimize my map, the useless code from the GUI that I use is cleaned up and makes it run much faster (meaning I don't have to make everything using JASS to achieve this).

Level 18
Here is the updated version of "Nature's Protection" (formally Nature Bound).

Binds the Nature Mage to a nearby tree, protecting it from damage and restoring his hitpoints by his Intelligence once every second. Also permits sight of invisible units.
Level 1 - 10 seconds
Level 2 - 15 seconds
Level 3 - 20 seconds
Level 4 - 25 seconds

Level 18
Let say the Mage has 25 Intelligence and Level 2 Nature's Protection.

25 x .75 x 15 = 281.25. He heals for 281 hitpoints, which may be too much. Perhaps it should be half of the Mage's intelligence, instead of 3/4.

25 x .5 x 15 = 187.5. That looks way more balanced. Yes, I think I'll change it to only half of his intelligence.

Also, I have a new ability idea that perhaps you could help me with for the Scientist to replace either Mechanical Hologram or Supercharge (probably Supercharge).

Remote Tanks Charge (The name needs help) - This ability would create X amount of tanks to charge the targeted unit, each exploding individually upon impact.

Last edited:
Yeeeyy =).
Also, I think you should replace the ranger's bash ability with something more complex:
- the ranger has 25% to deal 50% of her agility in bonus damage and to slow the unit for X seconds.
I think it could be good and it' not that hard to do.

About the tanks ... well.... Download "rotd campaign" as it has that spell with the goblin hero.
The campaign is also open source, so you can copy and then change the spell if you want, as long as you give credit to the campaign.
About the name ... well, that is for the goblin hero rit ?? well, What about ... Jihad Tankies ??? (Jihad is a suicidal Arabian organization affiliated with Al-Qaeda that recruits people to make suicidal attacks.... It's a shocking and cult name !! lol)

If you don't like my first suggestion i suggest Goblin Tankies .. lol ..

LOL... yes Jihad is holy war, but in my country Jihad was recruiting people to commit suicide ... fortunately our police captured their main leaders and now they are looking for ramifications.
Although Jihad goes for Holy War, it's primary objective is to recruit people and to get financial support to whatever they do.

Anyway, back to the point, it's good to know you liked my idea =).

Level 18
Flame, from the sound of it you know how to work the editor pretty well. So let me ask you, for modifying Swift Shot to be based off of the Frozen Archer's agility, how would I go about doing this? I'll show you what I have at this point, but it's not very efficient at all.

It shows the Real value of extra damage, so sometimes it can be a decimal and I DO NOT want a decimal value as the floating text since damage is done in Integer form. Also, this trigger will most likely damage the unit before it has even been hit by the Frozen Archer's arrow, since it the even it is "A Unit is Attacked". That means that it will take the bonus damage before the rest of the damage. This wouldn't be a big deal unless the bonus damage was enough to kill the unit before the arrow got there, which would look really bad. Enough talking though, look and see if you can help out;

• Swift Shot
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Belilmadë Wildsinger
    • Actions
      • Set SwiftShotChance = (Random integer number between 1 and 100)
      • Custom script: set udg_RealAgility = GetHeroStatBJ(bj_HEROSTAT_AGI, GetAttacker(), true)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • SwiftShotChance Less than or equal to 25
        • Then - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Level of Swift Shot (Passive, Dummy) for (Attacking unit)) Equal to 1
            • Then - Actions
              • Wait 0.85 seconds
              • Unit - Cause (Attacking unit) to damage (Triggering unit), dealing (RealAgility x 0.50) damage of attack type Pierce and damage type Cold
              • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (|cff56A5EC + ((String((RealAgility x 0.50))) + !|r)) above (Attacking unit) with Z offset 25.00, using font size 8.00, color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%), and 0.00% transparency
              • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 64.00 towards 90.00 degrees
              • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
              • Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 2.00 seconds
              • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 3.00 seconds
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Level of Swift Shot (Passive, Dummy) for (Attacking unit)) Equal to 2
                • Then - Actions
                  • Wait 0.85 seconds
                  • Unit - Cause (Attacking unit) to damage (Triggering unit), dealing (RealAgility x 0.65) damage of attack type Pierce and damage type Cold
                  • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (|cff56A5EC + ((String((RealAgility x 0.65))) + !|r)) above (Attacking unit) with Z offset 25.00, using font size 8.00, color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%), and 0.00% transparency
                  • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 64.00 towards 90.00 degrees
                  • Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 2.00 seconds
                  • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 3.00 seconds
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (Level of Swift Shot (Passive, Dummy) for (Attacking unit)) Equal to 3
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Wait 0.85 seconds
                      • Unit - Cause (Attacking unit) to damage (Triggering unit), dealing (RealAgility x 0.80) damage of attack type Pierce and damage type Cold
                      • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (|cff56A5EC + ((String((RealAgility x 0.80))) + !|r)) above (Attacking unit) with Z offset 25.00, using font size 8.00, color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%), and 0.00% transparency
                    • Else - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • (Level of Swift Shot (Passive, Dummy) for (Attacking unit)) Equal to 4
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Wait 0.85 seconds
                          • Unit - Cause (Attacking unit) to damage (Triggering unit), dealing RealAgility damage of attack type Pierce and damage type Cold
                          • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (|cff56A5EC + ((String(RealAgility)) + !|r)) above (Attacking unit) with Z offset 25.00, using font size 8.00, color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%), and 0.00% transparency
                        • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
If I can't figure out how to get it to work this way, I think I'll take the simpler road and make the extra damage the entire Agility, but make the percentages chance. (e.g. 10/15/20/25% per level)

Last edited:
JESUS !!! So much GUI hurts my head !!!LOl, Well, i have a very similar spell made in JASS, is a very easy way so you can understand it. It's called Speed Thurst:

It has a chance to add X ability to the hero, depending on the level.
Now you can easily chance this script to add the damage.
I think I will edit this spell, in order to give you some hand.

EDIT - ops, wrong spell, give me a minute to search my libraries lol.

EDIT EDIT:

Well, after making some research and some thinking i decided to make the code for you.
This code grants 5, 7 and 10 % chance that an attack will do 50% of the rangers agility in extra damage.
This spell is JASS, leak free, MUI and it works. It is also very easy to change. Here you have:

JASS:
function AgiArrow_Conds takes nothing returns boolean
    local integer level = GetUnitAbilityLevel(GetAttacker(),'A019')
    local integer chance 
    if level == 1 then
        set chance = 5
    elseif level == 2 then
        set chance = 7
    elseif level == 3 then 
        set chance = 10
    endif
    return level > 0 and GetRandomInt(1, 100) <= chance
endfunction
//=======================================================
function AgiArrow_Acts takes nothing returns nothing
    local unit attacker = GetAttacker()
    local unit victim = GetTriggerUnit()
    local effect e = AddSpecialEffectTarget("Abilities\\Spells\\Items\\AIsm\\AIsmTarget.mdl", victim, "origin")
    local integer level = GetUnitAbilityLevel(GetAttacker(),'A019')
    local texttag Bonus = CreateTextTag()
    call SetTextTagText(Bonus, "+" + R2S(0.5*GetHeroAgi(attacker, false)), .023 )   
    call SetTextTagPosUnit( Bonus, victim, 0 )
    call SetTextTagColor( Bonus, 255, 255, 0, 255 )
    call UnitDamageTarget(attacker, victim, GetHeroAgi(attacker, true)*0.5, true, true, ATTACK_TYPE_CHAOS, DAMAGE_TYPE_UNIVERSAL, null)
    call SetTextTagPermanent(Bonus, false)
    call SetTextTagVelocity( Bonus, 0, .0277 )
    call TriggerSleepAction(2.00)
    call DestroyTextTag(Bonus)
    call DestroyEffect(e) 
    set attacker = null
    set victim = null
    set e = null
    set Bonus = null
endfunction
//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_Agi_Arrow takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer index = 0
    local trigger AgiArrow = CreateTrigger()
    loop
        exitwhen index == 16
        call TriggerRegisterPlayerUnitEvent(AgiArrow, Player(index), EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ATTACKED, null)
        set index = index +1 
    endloop 
    call TriggerAddCondition( AgiArrow, Condition( function AgiArrow_Conds ) )
    call TriggerAddAction( AgiArrow, function AgiArrow_Acts )
    set AgiArrow = null
endfunction

This code it's in its "brute" from. However i can add a few comments and i can explain you how it works later, if you need.
Now this passive ability is easy to see and understand. It does damage in real form, but you can round that if you wish.

EDIT EDIT EDIT:

Crap, now that i read all you post, i just realised i made the wrong ability lol ... crap .. sorry for that..

Well, i will have a look on your frost arrow ability when i have time ... I just took all time i have today making that AgiArrow ability lol ... tomorrow i will give a better look to your problem. Sorry again for my mistake =S

Last edited:
Level 4
maybe i could help too =)
so u want the attacked unit to get damage when the arrow strikes it? well...
there could be some ways.. there is also an event called "<unit> takes damage" that would be the best, right? but the problem is known in here, u would need to be specific about the <unit> which causes the event to get startet.

so, in gui i would do it like this:
1. just delete your event.
2. after the map init, where you created all creeps units (enemys of the archer) add a "pick every unit of .. player and do", the action would be "add (picked unit) takes damage as event to swift shot" then, after it just
3. delete/remove/destroy the unit group as u surely know

in this way i solved a problem, in which the automatic fireing ability "phoenix fire" would drain mana from the "damage source", oh yeah, replace "attacking unit" by "damage source" then in ur gui.

i think it should work then as u want it. =)

___edit: oh yeah, u would need to add a new event for each new created or just entering (by summuning) enemy unit as well then.

Last edited:
Level 18
I just took all time i have today making that AgiArrow ability lol ... tomorrow i will give a better look to your problem. Sorry again for my mistake =S

It's okay, thank you for taking the time to try to help though!

so, in gui i would do it like this:
1. just delete your event.
2. after the map init, where you created all creeps units (enemys of the archer) add a "pick every unit of .. player and do", the action would be "add (picked unit) takes damage as event to swift shot" then, after it just
3. delete/remove/destroy the unit group as u surely know

___edit: oh yeah, u would need to add a new event for each new created or just entering (by summuning) enemy unit as well then.

Brilliant thinking! I think this will solve my problem!! I will edit with an update to let you know if it does.

Level 18
Well, now I'm trying to brainstorm new spell ideas for the next release of AtD. I want to have a new ultimate for the Hunter (focused on animals/nature), a new ability for the Scientist (focused on technology), and a new ability for the Medicine Doctor (focused on protection/healing - not an aura). If you can think up any original and plausible, place them here in detail! Flame_Phoenix has already done a good job of this.

Level 4
ok, here goes some ideas: (2 per hero for the moment ^^)

I want to have a new ultimate for the Hunter (focused on animals/nature)
- call of nature: [ultimate] [active]
somethink like summoning a (herotype) beast that will follow your hero untill it dies, this unit could be made somehow strong but not able to control (patrol command?), so it would attack automatically. for each level or kill it would get +2 damage points, +15 hp, +0.2 armor, +2 speed bonus.

- nature's soul (consomption): [ultimate] [passive]
nature healing, passive one, when a unit is killed nearby (but for sure in attack range), there is a chance of 15% that the hunter will receive 85 HP and 35 Mana from the released soul. alternatively, i could work for friendly heroes in an aoe of 750 too. this skill actrivates, even if the killing unit is not the hunter.

_ _ _ _ _

, a new ability for the Scientist (focused on technology)
- max output: [active]
some kind of avatar with increased attack damage, hp, armor, but decreased movements speed.
level 1 - increasing attack output by 35%, hp by 350, armor by 2 but reducing speed about 7% for 12 seconds. mc: 37, cd: 32s
level 2 - increasing attack output by 40%, hp by 450, armor by 4 but reducing speed about 6% for 13 seconds. mc: 41, cd: 30s
level 3 - increasing attack output by 50%, hp by 550, armor by 6 but reducing speed about 5% for 14 seconds. mc: 45, cd: 28s
level 4 - increasing attack output by 65%, hp by 650, armor by 8 but reducing speed about 4% for 15 seconds. mc: 49, cd: 26s

- mines: [active]
placing an invisible mine on ground which will explode if an enemy is nearby, mines are able to explode other mines, too. maybe automatically explode after 2min. (give it 120 hp, with -1 reg, if killed so, the explode skill wont activate)
level 1 - dealing 175 damage in an aoe of 250. mc: 35, cd: 21 s
level 2 - dealing 215 damage in an aoe of 300. mc: 42, cd: 23 s
level 3 - dealing 270 damage in an aoe of 350. mc: 49, cd: 25 s
level 4 - dealing 340 damage in an aoe of 400. mc: 56, cd: 27 s

_ _ _ _ _

, and a new ability for the Medicine Doctor (focused on protection/healing - not an aura).
- robe of healing: [active] [able to turn off]
when active, it will drain mana from the medicine doctor, healing nearby friendly till all mana is consumed or skill deactivated. aoe of about 550.
level 1 - 1 mana per second, healing 32 HP to nearby friendly units.
level 2 - 1.5 mana per second, healing 43 HP to nearby friendly units.
level 3 - 2.0 mana per second, healing 54 HP to nearby friendly units.
level 4 - 2.5 mana per second, healing 65 HP to nearby friendly units.

- chain of sorrow: [active]
casted on enemy units, it will jump between enemy units, dealing percent (of their max hp) damage, when it reaches the last enemy, a second chain will activate jumping between friendly units, healing HP in the amount of the damage dealt to the enemies before.
level 1 - jump 3 times, dealing 10% damage, healing chain jumps 4 times. mc: 34, cd: 12s
level 2 - jump 4 times, dealing 14% damage, healing chain jumps 5 times. mc: 42, cd: 14s
level 3 - jump 5 times, dealing 18% damage, healing chain jumps 6 times. mc: 50, cd: 16s
level 4 - jump 6 times, dealing 22% damage, healing chain jumps 7 times. mc: 58, cd: 18s

____edit:
oh, damn just thought about ultimates ^^

____edit, nr 2:
ok, now i made the normal skills weaker, ehm.. its just 4 levels each, right? xD
mc: mana cost, cd: cooldown

Last edited:
Level 18
Okay in the 2.2 Version set there have already been 4 new spells created inspired from this thread, but none are quite exactly what yall wanted. I would love to know what you think about them though. Download the latest version and play the Architect, Frozen Archer, or Hunter and tell me what you think about the new abilities Greed Smite, Golden Strike, Swift Shot, and Beast Trap, respectfully. I hope that you will enjoy them and encourage me to make more!

Level 19
Okay, spell ideas... Maybe you could have an ability that makes the death knight explode into ten bats, flying in all directions for about a range of 500, then turn into "Nebula" (Dark Wisps). Once that happens, they can suicide themselves to damage their enemies. But, there will also be one wisp, made in the middle, that must survive or the Death Knight loses 100 HP after 30 seconds when the spell is done. The center wisp could be the "Puppet Master" or something. Levels would probably increase time and damage. This is a pretty scrappy idea though...

Level 15
toatly offtpoci ish

Okay, spell ideas... Maybe you could have an ability that makes the death knight explode into ten bats, flying in all directions for about a range of 500, then turn into "Nebula" (Dark Wisps). Once that happens, they can suicide themselves to damage their enemies. But, there will also be one wisp, made in the middle, that must survive or the Death Knight loses 100 HP after 30 seconds when the spell is done. The center wisp could be the "Puppet Master" or something. Levels would probably increase time and damage. This is a pretty scrappy idea though...

i'm going to test this...
might be usefll S.M. +rpz(for a 1337 idea)

if not i'll just add this to the rejected spells download page (of up.to/atd)

Status
Not open for further replies.