• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Soul of Killarmin_ First BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
105484d1314355825-soul-killarmin-first-presentation-minimap-beta1.jpg

105485d1314355825-soul-killarmin-first-presentation-minimapbeta1.0.jpg

The Soul of Killarmin
The first beta of my single-player RPG
http://www.mediafire.com/?yv1g6xxboaa6rbu
Newest version 31st March 2012

Map Preferences:
Map size: 480x480
Tileset: Village
Suggested Players: Single Player
Category: Medieval / Warcraft
Type: Rpg (Campaign)

This is actually not the first post about this map, but I'm uploading a beta so that everyone could try it and point out some bugs.
It is important to note that TheSoulofKillarmin_Beta.w3x is way too big for the Hive Workshop and I have to post a link through other filehosting server.

The reason for this frightening size lies within the vast music files for which I decided when trying to make a good atmosphere for the game. Afterall, it's single player, so even if it was 200mb it wouldn't matter, right? :D

The starting area is complete with all quests and story elements, creep respawn, hero abilities, music, ambience sounds, and many other features. Three more of these "lands" are to be finished during the development of this map. This is just to show you some of my latest work.
105266d1313867461-soul-killarmin-first-presentation-surdrassen.jpg

105262d1313867403-soul-killarmin-first-presentation-nardefield.jpg

To check out more information about this project visit this post:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/map-development-202/soul-killarmin-first-presentation-201990/#post1987684
The background story is, more or less, revealed during the game. But if you need a deeper understanding of what actually happens in Killarmin, I will post a plotline and story background in another thread, provided that I will have some time, of course.

105256d1313867253-soul-killarmin-first-presentation-gideonsrestinn2.jpg

Known Bugs:
There are many things that are not yet present in the game. Aside from having only 1/4th of the overall terrain filled, there are a few thing that need to be noted

-I was planning to put a starting cinematic into the beta, but I don't have time for that now. It will be there at some point in time. So when you run the map you will automatically appear in the starting zone with your starting hero.

-All vendors have the same items for sale. I didn't put much importance to that, although you need potions in some occasions, because there is just no way you can run without renewing your hp or mana. So every time you find a vendor in a city, he has 2 mana renew drinks, 2 hp renew food, 1 mana potion, and 1 hp potion. The vendor in Nardefield has advanced potions for sale

- If you receive a quest reward in form of an equip item, you might not see it, because it's made from the attachment model, but clicking works when you want to pick it up

- There is no item kicking system every hero can wear any equip, even if it were six swords... the attachments fold, of course, and it looks ridiculous when you wield both an axe and a sword in one hand. This stuff is not yet done. I recommend picking the best attribute items and sell the old ones to a vendor.

- There might be a pathing hole somewhere in the Stillwood forest, tell me if you find it.

- The area that is located at the north-eastern corner of Stillwood is an area that will be in the final version of the story. It has no pathing there.

- When you do quests in the starting area, it's a little hard to see through the dedacious trees on the units below. It's supposed to look like that, so if you don't see, press Alt, select Display Health bars always, or just scroll down the camera.

- The gates of Truthangel only have "open" and "close" animations, no stand open or stand closed. Sometimes when during the game initialization the trigger freezes it, it stays either in open or closed state. Pathing still allows you to walk through. It just looks like the gate is closed.

PM me or post in this thread if you find more bugs... pls

105249d1313867096-soul-killarmin-first-presentation-crophills3.jpg

Some reminders:
Optional quests are picked by interacting with questgivers with ability "Talk". And main/story quests are updated as you follow the directions, usually based on entering regions, killing units, and other stuff.

104994d1313313442-map-loading-screen-loadscreen4.jpg

So, I hope you enjoy this map. Any suggestions for map development or even the story itself are more than welcome.

Last edited:
Level 7
Loading screen screenshot stretches the page
Good job. But I don't like the fact that you can't go into all houses and talk with all the npc.

This seemed really interesting so I downloaded the map. I encountered some problems at the beginning of the map though.

-There don't seem to be any dialogues when I talk to the questgiver, their portrait show dialogue but no text is shown. My character just stands there for some seconds and then get a quest.

-When trying to pick up the armor rewards from the inn keeper the game froze.

-When I leveled up to level 2 I clicked the level up icon and the game froze.

-The monsters in the beginning seem to be a bit too hard to handle. Especially the level 4 and 5 wolves just west of town.

Hope you can do something about these problems :)

Edit: Spelling

Level 3
the dialogues display only when you have subtitles on

This freezing stuff is probably something with your PC... for me and other PC's it works fine. The items will be adjusted to custom models (just the old style treasure chest, because they tend to sink below the terrain too much if they're modeled by the attachments)

The harder creeps are not a part of quest line, just lvl 1 and 2... and also 3
I will delete some if they run into the starting area too often.
But there's also a bandit camp, and the bandits are invulnerable until the quest starts, so beware of that (their kills are in trigger conditions)

the new version will be up this spring.

Level 3
Some more stuff...

Attachments

• Borelnidas Arena Entrance.jpg
    Borelnidas Arena Entrance.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 245
  • Borelnidas Citadel.jpg
    Borelnidas Citadel.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Borelnidas Shrine.jpg
    Borelnidas Shrine.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Borelnidas1.jpg
    Borelnidas1.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 204
  • Borelnidas2.jpg
    Borelnidas2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 270
  • Borelnidas3.jpg
    Borelnidas3.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 209
  • Borelnidas4.jpg
    Borelnidas4.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 246
  • Borelnidas5.jpg
    Borelnidas5.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 207
  • Borelnidas6.jpg
    Borelnidas6.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 233
  • HefaistonVolcano.jpg
    HefaistonVolcano.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 202
  • TheGrandColiseum1.jpg
    TheGrandColiseum1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 219
  • TheGrandColiseum2.jpg
    TheGrandColiseum2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 203
  • TheGrandColiseum3.jpg
    TheGrandColiseum3.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 222
  • TheGrandColiseum4.jpg
    TheGrandColiseum4.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 221
  • TheGrandColiseum5.jpg
    TheGrandColiseum5.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 204
  • TheLabyrinth2.jpg
    TheLabyrinth2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 260
  • TheLabyrinth3.jpg
    TheLabyrinth3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 211
  • TheLabyrinth4.jpg
    TheLabyrinth4.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 228
  • TheLabyrinth5.jpg
    TheLabyrinth5.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 195
  • TheLabyrinth6.jpg
    TheLabyrinth6.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 237
  • TheLabyrinth7.jpg
    TheLabyrinth7.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 227
  • TheLabyrinthEntrance.jpg
    TheLabyrinthEntrance.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 232
  • TheLabytinth1.jpg
    TheLabytinth1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 243
  • UnderworldCaverns1.jpg
    UnderworldCaverns1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 278
  • UnderworldCaverns2.jpg
    UnderworldCaverns2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 233
  • UnderworldCaverns3.jpg
    UnderworldCaverns3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 235
  • UnderworldCaverns4.jpg
    UnderworldCaverns4.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 252
  • UnderworldCaverns5.jpg
    UnderworldCaverns5.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 251
Level 3
The name of my fictional world may sound like it, but the resemblance is merely accidental... it just sounds cool. Or maybe I've read about Killmaim from warcraft lore before and chose the name subconsciously. Anyway, there's absolutely nothing that these two have in common.
Sorry

Level 5
good news boddi! hope u can finish it.. shadows of the past and other highly promoted maps are not able to hold the candle to your amazing product (in my layman opinion)! bless

Status
Not open for further replies.