• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Something about the D3 Waves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
With the upcoming d4, and I heard someone saying that going into D4 would be like going into D3 with full D2 gear. Well the Waves in the beginning make this hard because for some runs I do it is literally half the length of the dungeon and really slows down getting the gear. But still a great idea.

My Idea:
The first time you do d3 you hae to do waves (non optional) but every run after that the waves would be optional (more gold/xp for some) But the boss at the end should spawn in an area (my personal thought was at the lighthouse seeing as nobody goes there to fight the monsters) so people would have to explore the dungeon more and since it already has monsters set up there you would still have to fight through some.

Summary:
Make waves a one time thing to decrease the running time of the dungeon so people can get more easily equiped for D4. Or, so that people who are in teams that need no gear whatsoever from Luit wouldn't have to sit ther for 15 minutes so they can get other gear.

Level 9
Well the waves are easy enough just time consuming the longest part usually for me is the waiting period in between each wave.

Level 13
Bugger you made a thread before I did.

Here's my proposal on the current wave system.

They're easy, of course that does come down to the fact that we're running level 2x mobs with 40 characters but they're actually quite easy to manage.
But they get very, very boring, very fast.

I ask that we turn the waves system into a subquest BEFORE d3, same place, same concept, same boss at the end. Just make it a repeatable quest.

Instead, turn lieutenant into a boss that drops the fire res harness/vest/robe for players who need it before venturing into d3. Make it repeatable, give it a minor gold reward and a demon heart. Allow people to get the fire res gear they need before being put up against The Blazing Flame, and allow them to replace it easily in the future when they need to help other people.

It's a good system, but it just makes sense to me that its separate from the rest of the dungeon, otherwise, in the future, the whole thing may be skipped for its tedious repetitive format.

Allow people to get the fire res gear so they don't miss out on one of d3s exciting bosses because they lack the gear required to tank a few blows.

Why don't we remove trash mobs at all? I mean ... nobody goes into a dungeon for trash anyway. And the bosses ... awww, they are interesting at first but after you killed them once, it's boring shit. There should be a button that generates items at the entry signal of dungeons. Yeah that's the way to go.

Level 13
Don't be an ass about it, it's a valid suggestion.
Over many games I've found one or two players who actually enjoy repeatedly doing the waves.

It's not a good system.

If you want some sort of fucking wave based dungeon, go ahead, but put it separate, why make people waste half an hour of their time getting to the bosses they actually want to fight.

Level 1
Why don't we remove trash mobs at all? I mean ... nobody goes into a dungeon for trash anyway. And the bosses ... awww, they are interesting at first but after you killed them once, it's boring shit. There should be a button that generates items at the entry signal of dungeons. Yeah that's the way to go.

O yes, I do believe this is correct. So when will you implement this Zwiebelchen?

Don't be an ass about it, it's a valid suggestion.
Over many games I've found one or two players who actually enjoy repeatedly doing the waves.
Nobody enjoys trash mobs. Still, they have to be there, otherwise you could get everything you want in some minutes. This is called timesink and is present in every MMO. If you don't like it, play something else, really.

If you want some sort of fucking wave based dungeon, go ahead, but put it separate, why make people waste half an hour of their time getting to the bosses they actually want to fight.
You do that for every boss. Why is that a problem here? The boss spawns right after the waves. If the boss would be regular and you'd need to fight through 10 trashpacks in order to get to his location, you wouldn't complain, although it's basicly the same thing.

The wave event is part of the boss encounter. Without that, the boss would be way to easy. It's meant to be like this.

But I agree that the spawning time for the waves is somewhat too high. I will reduce it for 1.1j to make the waves more challenging.

Level 5
I'd stick to the 'heroic-mode' idea, since this will screw things up for the people without any D3 gear, I loved the first D3 run I did with the new version, perfect scale, shouldn't be harder, however, adding the heroic modes would add a lot of more content for a smaller amount of work.

Level 3
Waves would be much more fun if time between them would be decreased. I'd rather suggest to make some npc with button, which summons next wave instantly after pressed. Most boring part at waves is waiting for next wave when everyone are ready (mana/hp reg) for it long ago.

There was crazy idea to make possibility to summon all waves at once. But i guess only few people will support it. Though you I would use this idea as making additional challenge in game. For example, make npc which will summon all waves at once for 10-20k gold (from each player). It will restrict possibility to use it as a regular way to skip waves, but hardcore players would get new challenge.

But many people supported idea of making possibility to decrease time between waves. It doesn't really matter how.

And I am also against of making possibility to skip them, that's lame like Z said. =)

Level 9
Okay, well I didn't intent to insult you Zweb, but the waves take too long and are just boring. My biggest issue is when people AFK due to it. Leaving me and the healer (since i seem to always have to tank) to fight them which isn't fun yet still easy. I know its supposed to take time to do them, but i think its too much time. My personal opinion, but im sorry if I offended you.

Another question however, would it be possible to have them set up like this with a different mode but still have the original format. For the higher levels.

Send waves 1-4 as soon as the wave before that dies give the break in between 4 and 5 then fight 5-8 nonstop then give a 50 second break in between 8 and boss

So you would have the current system for waves for people who couldn't handle a entire onslaught of enemies.

Level 3
Guys what we dont take into account is the fact that the limit for wc3 map i believe is 8mb (Soulseeker told me this) so basically adding a new button to Gaspode that will spawn the waves is extra lines of coding that will take place and i am not sure if the game can afford that. But i strongly agree that if people are to do d3 after d4 is implemented we will need a way to speed up those waves since the new gear will make it very easy and very boring to finish them.

P.s forge pls not everyone here got sin with 43753mc's and 1 quadrillion gold so not everyone can afford 30k each run :D

Level 13
I'll just agree to disagree, no point in a flame war.
I'm all for the time reduction idea, something to speed the process up, a half hour timesink into getting jack shit seems pointless, but if it's something that might be a challenge in heroic, sure.

Did you actually read my post zweib?I said nothing about removing the waves, just replacing their purpose

Level 1
I think there's nothing wrong with the wave system and nothing should be changed about it.

P.S.
I'll just agree to disagree, no point in a flame war.
Damn why are people like Vestra so hung up on "falme wars"??? Just discuss the topic and mind your own business Vestra.

Status
Not open for further replies.