• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Snippets, Spells & Systems Oh My!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I am in a position to require some guidance on this matter, as I am being called as Host of a Contest to adjudicate between snippets, spells & systems and I'm really unprepared for it.

Basically, is there a definable difference between the three of those? As far as I know it's simply a matter of degrees, and that makes it really hard to say "ooh, can't use that, that's a system". (granted I don't really have to do that as the Host, that's more the Coding Judge's duty, but I'd rather help people avoid the issue rather than have some disqualifications)

Anyway, yeah. What's the diff? Define it for me, if you please.

In my opinion and understanding of what I have seen is...

A system is a bunch of triggers/functions put together such as a knockback/up handling, projectile movement/handling, a variable system like GUI Spell System v1.6.0.0 or Mui. Basically a complex spell sort of...

A spell is a few triggers made just for that one ability like registering when the spell is casted then running its actions or starting another trigger for a timer or loop to run more complex/advanced actions such as moving a dummy unit, stunning a group or making it MUI/MPI that could be needed for the spell.

A snippet is something that can be easily CnP'd which could be a small trigger or some functions you can call into a system or spell like call GroupGrab() to get a group of units/heros within a range of coordinate/point or an arrow key detection system.

Kind of difficult seeing a line of difference between all three when they're pretty much the same thing, in wc3 anyways this is what my thoughts on it are.

Level 20
IMO,
  • Snippets - are like custom user-made function that acts like a mini-system and mostly can be seen on a map header's script.
  • Systems - are like generally made to make coding faster because it assists and helps you depending on the main role or function of the system. Also allows the user to manipulate his/her code easily. Like Dat-C3 said it is like a complex spell but still the difference are noticeable.
  • Spells - user-coded that uses abilities and triggers. There's many type of spells, it may have more than one trigger that depends on it's mechanics and functions. Spells adds some spice to a game that makes it unique depending on it's type. Spells uses different MUI methods to make it work properly and of course it also uses systems and snippets too. You may already notice the difference because it uses ability triggering.

Anyway Goodluck as a host for the contest ^^

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Snippet - a function
System - multiple functions
Spell - final system, listens to ability-related events

Edit: imo

Status
Not open for further replies.