• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SMotA v1.00

Sacred Masters of the Arctic is an AoS that focuses on the balance, coherency, themes, and uniqueness of heroes. Its hero count currently stands at 110.

Changelogs: http://smotamap.blogspot.com/

Note: Yes, there were versions v0.01, v0.02, v0.03, v0.03b, etc.

Keywords:
SMotA, AoS, nargaque, TheImmortalOne
Contents

SMotA v1.00 (Map)

Reviews
Heero: Well, the map is based on Dota, altough some alternatives what makes it fun to play.
Level 2
can you bulk illusionist, really weak.

his 6 second illusions are nearly useless(other than escaping), i think the damage for the illusitions should be bulked up from 15% to 30-45%.

other than that, i really like him.

like people said, u should be concentrating on balancing the heroes you got right now before making some more. I see you've been updating the points the heroes get per level but no so much updating the abilities.

Great map, play it all the time.

Level 1
This map is my current favorite map! I really like it, and i haven't really noticed any severe balance issues. It is better than dota, since this has more heroes, with abilities i believe are quite hard to make. Keep up the very good work, i look forward to seeing more versions and heroes.

PS. Can anyone PLEASE tell me where the secret shop is? Before i shoot myself... please?!
PSS. plug illusionist is most certainly not weak, he's a very powerful agility hero, despite the fact that his illusions last for a short time.

PSSS. I found it about 20 minutes after i posted this... OMFG... scaling value -10??

Last edited:
Level 7
Needs some balancing, the xp rate can be pretty brutal- if you're not in the perfect place to xp your opposition heroes maybe as much as 9 levels higher than you though which is mad. There also seems to be no real penalty for death and gold rate is insanely high.

Very nice map though, I like more than Dota Allstars. (not that I like Dota Allstars..)

Level 2
Great map. I have played it long time.
Only problem seems to be late game. I really feel like leaving when people have leveled enough to max their skills. It is really really boring at late game but before skills get maxed its really fun.

Hydra Hatchlings skill devour was useless late game. I didn't bother using it. And getting -armor orb to him I got -16 enemy armor with the passive. Seemed bit overpowered.

Yeah gold is gained too much and revive times are too short. Also you could lose more gold on death.

And someone said he hates map with heros focused on quantity not quality. I can tell you these heroes are made really really well. They are both quantity and quality. Also every new version brings more balance.

If it had 40% less gold gain, 50% longer revive times, and gold lost on death if there isn't already and not so damn boring late game this would be really really good map! 4/5

AND wtf: copy of dota? Dota = AoS. Smota = AoS. Do you call all TD's copy of each others? AND DOTA wasn't the first AoS. I'm not sure but AoS (Aeon Of Strife) might be actually map which dota is copy of!
In your face Seven Hells Dude

Level 3
I agree with normadian and Akingboy about the gold/xp/death issues. Gold income and experience rates are currently quite high, while the time and gold setbacks for dying are somewhat low.

Removing the auto -sm (currently the game automatically selects Short Mode) should solve the first issue, and for the second, I'll bump up the respawn time and gold lost on death, not by too much, but with a good effect.

Hydra's Devour has some effect in the late game, because of the disabling, but I see how it doesn't really fit him (the hero) very well. He focuses on survival and dps; having a channeling disable is a counter-synergy. I may change it to a new ability, with something along the lines of "Increases the Hydra's damage by X and causes any enemy he kills in the next Y seconds will increase his max hp by Z," with appropriate duration and cooldown, so that it retains the spirit of the old spell, yet is significantly more useful late game.

Great feedback from both of you.

Reactions: TKF
Level 2
Okay, I'm a little bored of DotA so I'm trying something new. I've a few comments:

1. The secret shop is way to secret, I tried searching all over the observatories planting tons of wards (I assume it's invisible) and I still can't find it. All I get is a silly arrow pointing on my head.

Seriously please do not keep the secret shot so secret that players can't even find it.

2. No map description at waiting room, new players quit because of this.

Maybe this map kicks the ass of dota?

Highly impossible, this map has a way long way to go (in terms of promoting and balancing). DotA is like Coke which beats all others kinds of soft drinks.

Level 4
Okay, I'm a little bored of DotA so I'm trying something new. I've a few comments:

1. The secret shop is way to secret, I tried searching all over the observatories planting tons of wards (I assume it's invisible) and I still can't find it. All I get is a silly arrow pointing on my head.

Seriously please do not keep the secret shot so secret that players can't even find it.

When you get "a silly arrow pointing on [your] head" try selecting the secret shop even if you can't see it.

Level 2
When you get "a silly arrow pointing on [your] head" try selecting the secret shop even if you can't see it.

I found it and I'm totally speechless. I did random select the area around last time but I found nothing. I was like a fool, getting wards and thinking that an invisible shop does exist.

Anyway when's the forum coming up? This is my 2nd day playing this game and I want to learn more about it.

p/s: Too many heroes have the Storm-Bolt based ability, it's handy but unoriginal...

Level 2
ya i agree, the revive times are faaar to short, making this game last for hours (2 hours +), plus most of the time we are going up and down the middle lane because the towers in the bases are incredibily strong xD.

Level 1
Good work so far

Fun map to play, if people would try something besides dota(people might like dota a little more if it didn't get hosted so much or rave). I think the penalty for gold is way too much, even at 900ish because that player could get behind in items and forever fail. The heroes themselves are pretty good but people complain about riggedness because they always compare every aos to dota, rather than thinking the aos as a unique. I love the fact that you can take over outposts and have more creep spawns + teleports, you might want to add more towers or make the current tower stronger at the outposts, because taking them over is easy. Keep up the good work, and like any game, there is always something to be balanced. Yes, that includes dota.:thumbs_up:

Level 3
When you decided to name the map, I guess you didn't have particular name in mind, so you just made it dota esque?
Considering how close the layout, gameplay and name is to dota, couldn't this map be considered a (albeit well made) dota copy/ripoff?

*Note: I'm not here to bash the map cause I'm a dota fanboy. I like neither dota, nor any of it's variations*

Last edited:
Level 2
Regeneration items are less desired since transportation has never been so convenience, you can just travel around the map in seconds with those teleporters. Somemore the fountain HP regen rate is too fast, you can see a red HP foe returning to backstab you with full HP/MP bar in 15seconds, that makes harassing useless. Sad for early game heroes cause that should be their advantage.

Level 2
Many heroes don't have attack sounds, it makes players lack the feel when using them. Also why don't you normalize melee heroes attack range to be slightly further than melee creeps? Such as if melee creeps ATK range = 100, you make melee heroes one 125? So that heroes won't easily attract tower aggro when they're ATK-ing it.

p/s When will the forums be up? :)

Level 2
I think the gold loss on death is too high since its annoying to die and notice you got 0 gold.
I think its only problem at early game.

And heroes could be less fragile early game or atleast reduce heroes damage early game.
Its really easy to kill someone early.

About balance: Bandit hero is really bad... it can't kill a thing. Skills dmgs are way too low. They need to be atleast doubled I think. And hook is really buggy :p Try to make it like in pudge wars pudge has. Now it just goes straight through everything.
Warlocks ultimate seems to do too much dmg. He has already other good dmg spells and then the ulti...

And one guy in my game sayd items are too imba. They might be. Maybe make them less overpowered? =) Dunno

Also one guy complained he didn't get money when he sold left players items. Maybe make shared gold for items when someone leaves?

Last edited:
Level 1
I found it 2 sec after I wrote the other message, lol :).

Btw, come to Clan xNAx on Northrend if you want SMotA games.
I and a couple of friends are always up for SMotA :).

(Ninja)Fladfisk is the host)

Level 2
Nice patch! You made bandit much better! Thank you.

Could it be possible to slow all heroes starting movements speed by 10-20%?
Even lvl 1 hero is really fast usually.
EDIT: Actually now that I think I guess its just fine :) But early game ranged heroes have really easy time taking hp off from enemy.

And someone said that dragonhawk is imba. Sheep + shackle + cloud :p I think so too. If there are teammates with him its really ownage

Last edited:
Level 2
Yeah new terrain is good IDEA but making it is HUGE job!
I don't much like the terrain either. Maybe change the template for a change? :)

Level 1
At the moment, I feel like Disease Bringer is overpowered, the same thing about Grunt.
Grunt with critical strike item just crit me for 1000 today :p.

Level 2
Everyone complain about hero being overpowered.
It happens really a lot!

What I think would be easier is to make weak heroes more powerful than making 90% of the "overpowered" heroes less overpowered :p
But perzion: The map is actally really balanced. Its just about skill and items will you be "overpowered". Since many items are really strong. Its just getting the correct ones to you and you will be much better and won't get owned by those "overpowered" heroes. Stats are really important. Think 1 str = 21 hp. Then 10 str = 210 hp which is a lot! So get stats. Atleast str ;)

BTW, could bandits gold steal ability be like 10 gold per 0.2 second since its kinda annoying if you stun for 1.75 of 2.5 seconds and you get only the 50 gold or <1 second and you don't get gold at all?
And still dazing orb doesn't work!!
EDIT: Oh sry wrong alarm I was demolitionist hero :(

And I got hero skill suggestion if there isn't this kinda already:
A long range bomb that takes really long time to come down. It would have nice dmg but is easily dodged. Or then make some archer hero have longbow skill that it can shoot to the other side of the map and has to hit exactly at the right spot to do instant kill. Ofc the arrow isn't super fast so that it won't be too easy.

And item suggestions is that add more early game recipes. Atm only thing you can get early is stats. It would be more fun with lots of early game recipe items. Like in dota there are level 1-3 shops for early game. In smota feels like there are only 3-5 shops

and there is bug with -ar that people might end up to other side for 0.3 seconds and die. 3 people died in my -ar game just when heroes were picked

Last edited:
Level 3
Akingboy:

The Bandit's gold steal is continuous, so a 2.5 sec stun would steal more than a 2.25, which would in turn beat a 2, etc.

"A long range bomb that takes really long time to come down..." - Try the Ghost :). Its Nuclear Launch isn't quite long range, but it does devastating aoe damage.

AGH. I'll release a .92b later today to fix the -ar problem. Thanks for reporting it.

Last edited:
Level 2
ah, finally found the secert store

the lag has improved A LOT in .92b, is it just me?

Level 2
btw, modes with 2 words dont work (smom etc etc) maybe you should add that to your fix list

Level 1
He's not stupid, he said that he was unable to type in more than 1 at a time, like you can in DotA.
(-apemom you know)

Level 2
5/5. Not for quality - I'd say it's a 4/5 there. But, because this map is such a breath of fresh air, and since it's in beta which means it'll get to 5/5 on quality soon enough, I'd give this map a perfect score.

Level 2
Try entering one mode at a time.

Narg, there's no reason why it has to be coded that way. I've got some old sample code for such a feature:

Code:
Double Income
    Events
        Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing di as A substring
    Conditions
        (Substring((Entered chat string), 1, 1)) Equal to (==) -
    Actions
        Set IncomeAmount = (IncomeAmount x 2)
        Set DoubleIncome = True
        Quest - Display to (All players) the Quest Update message: |cFFFF0000DOUBLE IN...
        Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)

Use the same condition and event (but change the substring) and the game modes can be typed -dipc (as my map went).

Level 1
I swear to god, I have been looking for this stupid shop for over an hour. :angry:

I tried the area selecting all over the area around the observatories and I just can not find this thing to save my life. I've gotten obsessed with it now since I lost a game to guys with secret shop items, I realize that it just shows you recipes and doesn't actually sell anything, and I was the merchant and had 50k gold that I couldn't spend on anything better. Any more accurate hints for me since I just seem to fail so hard at finding this thing?

Level 1
I figured that would work! The trend seemed to be to come rant about how you can't find the dam thing and you will find it within 5 minutes of posting, and sure enough! Glad I can finally get all those final damned items, now to pwn some face! :thumbs_up:

Level 4
Map is virtually unplayable due to how stacking items turns it into insta-gibs after level 20 or so...

Its sad how so many maps fall into that.

Level 2
Nice looking version!!

Too bad almost no one joins when I host it. One joins and leaves. Again. Again.... :/
Don't know what name would attract people. Everyone just play dota :(

EDIT: Some feedback about game I played with friend.

My friend said that map requires more balancing and that this map favors agi/attack speed heroes.
I say that make all units scales 25% bigger so that the map doesn't feel so big and units don't seem to move like lightning :D
Every unit feels like 50% of what dotas units are in scale.

Last edited:
Level 1
Great Map! I prefer it over dota. The only bad thing is I can't find a lot of people to play it with. If anyone is interested this name is on us west and I host this a lot. Keep up the great work.

As for changes... um I can't think of anything. This is why you are the one making a map and not me

EDIT: i did find one thing after looking over the change log, the power gloves have not dropped in price, the top part says 700/900 but the prices are still 900/1300

Last edited:
Level 3
Thanks. That price contradiction was an oversight; fortunately it isn't a game changing issue. However, a new version is going to be released anyway to fix a bug with the new Warding Boots. (I can't really elaborate on this glitch or people may find it and start abusing it.)

Level 1
Ok, i actually found a glitch that is really annoying. If you have a crown of kings, it disappears from your inventory. It has only happened after a half hour at least, so I don't know if it's random or at a set time. The first time happened was with a new teammate and he started accusing us of stealing it. The second time was when I was making the spell book about 40 min in it just went poof, I only noticed after it was gone because i was left holding the scroll for the book after I bought it. It doesn't happen early game because I usually make spell shield and it has never disappeared even when it has taken me 20 min to make.