• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Screenshots

Level 25
We're not distorting the world like stupid Cataclysm is. No major expansion content was the initial plan, and I'm sticking to it. Tearing the world apart like Blizzard is doing in Cataclysm just seems like a stupid idea and plus the admiration and soul of this project lies within the classic version of World of Warcraft. Of course, there are some things that were added after the expansions such as easier interfaces and whatnot which we may try to throw in.

My expectations for playerbase is around 100-300. However, if we are successful with the creation and release of the mod, there's a very good chance that can escalate further. Perhaps even in the thousands, especially if WarSoc is finished and we work on a multiplayer version.

Oh and thanks eMo2LoVe. The brightness part is actually something I like because in World of Warcraft, looking at the ground is like staring into the sun. Replicating even those tiny details into Wc3:WoW makes a difference in the long-run, especially once we've added plenty of other small hard-to-notice details like that.

I'd like to get new screens out this weekend. But not promising anything since I've been busy as hell with all sorts of crazy shit.

Level 25
If the 'brightness' you're referring to is the bright/blurred affect from the "HDR & Bloom" add-on, then that will be left up to the players such as yourself. And the values within the HDR & Bloom file do not change while you're in-game, so the intensity of light colors and stuff like that will remain just about the same throughout WarCraft III. By default, I personally think the HDR is a tad too strong.

The only thing that we can change that may affect brightness is fog. Durotar has a sort of dull orange color, Elwyn Forest has a light blue color, Mulgore's fog is almost teal, and so on. Some fogs are dark and dull. Others are lighter. The fog color is set according to how it looks in World of Warcraft.

Level 25
Definitely not made with the WarCraft III Editor. I believe they created their own exclusively private editor for World of Warcraft that functions very similarly to the WarCraft III World Editor though. It is not technically possible to make such a game in WarCraft III, even with the help of a third party program like WarSoc.

Level 8
I have seen examples of how their map editor might work, and it's actually pretty amazing. I have looked at some map editors (I do not support the use of WoW Map Editors for glitching) and people have created some amazing places, including new continents. But yeah, I'm pretty sure Blizzard has their own awesome little map editor that they use for WoW.

BUT! /ending my offtopic

Level 25
Despite how much I've been working on Warsong Gulch's terrain, I still do not feel comfortable enough with how it looks and will not be showing any screenshots of it this weekend. If I work as much as I did this weekend next weekend, then there's a high chance you guys will see what the battleground looks like in Wc3:WoW.

Unfortunately, because of WarCraft III's limits, the tunnel in Warsong Gulch cannot allow units walking inside the tunnel and on the surface of the cliff above it. Therefore, when you run to the tunnel entrance, you'll be ported to another area on the map that will act as though you were inside the tunnel. The only downside to this is that you cannot see both what's going on outside the tunnel and inside - you can only see one or the other. But of course, there will be a map. So that'll help a little bit probably.

What you should do is make like a black mask (using a black glow doodad) covering the entrance of the tunnel that will hide the unit when it enters the tunnel, and then have a cinematic camera that slowly passes over the tunnel as if it is following the unit through and then portal the unit to the other side. It'll be like some games when you go down steps, it shows the cinematic of the unit going down and you appear on the floor below.
Just a suggestion.

Level 25
I thought of an idea similar to that, but figured that it would be best to just allow units to enter/exit the tunnel and play normally since the tunnel has the speed pickup, it's a great place to ambush players as a rogue or something, and a couple other reasons.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :smile:

Level 7
What if you make a giant cliff doodad that you put in the game as walkable and as the unit enters the tunnel remove the cliff doodad and have the inside premade underneath it. When you exit the tunnel, creat a new cliff doodad and make an area where you can walk up on top of it.

I can see all the problems with this idea and it would be a lot of work to get something like this done, but its still possible. It would just require a lot of triggering. I don't know, just an idea. Still stoked about this mod, can't wait for it to come out, good luck!

Level 11
Only way would be adjusting the flyhight of units. By checking their absolut Z you can find out if they are on top of the tunnel or inside the tunnel. Then you can increases their fliyhight so they will move over the tunnel or can run through it. Problem will be, that you'll be able to attack/shoot/cast through the ground as fas as you don't use scripted skills/attacks.

Level 25
Ah true Thyrael, I forgot that you'd be able to get attacked through the ceiling/floor. Plus, what would make the task a bit tougher is that the tunnel is like a big ramp pretty much, and has only one or two very small parts where it's actually leveled. So yeah, I guess the best way to deal with this is use the old method of moving your character to a "tunnel region" somewhere else in the map, out of the way of the battlefield too.

Level 8
Well to fix it, you can either make a custom attack system that attacks units that are inbetween a max z and a min z. Another possibility is to add units to a unit group based on the floor they are on and have a trigger that checks if any unit attacks. If that unit is in lets say group_floor_1 and the enemy is in group_floor_2 then order unit to stop.

I thought of an idea similar to that, but figured that it would be best to just allow units to enter/exit the tunnel and play normally since the tunnel has the speed pickup, it's a great place to ambush players as a rogue or something, and a couple other reasons.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :smile:

Yeah I can see where my suggestion could put a block in that plan lol.

Level 9
if you guys need a WoW player/screenies i'm here for ya. and for testing.

1 suggestion you should have like player bots or somthing like that like villagers or somthing and maybe like raid every 30 mins? Good Team and Good work.

such as moving traders but that'll be hard to do i think.

Last edited:
Level 25
We've got a lot of ideas for player bots and how they work/behave to make them both useful and enjoyable to players - even for players to see as competition. Basically what we're going to do is pre-create a database of Player Bots pretty much and each and every Player Bot will be quite unique. Our goal is to pre-create somewhere between 200 and 2000 Player Bots. Think that's enough to have fun with? You really need than many so the game doesn't feel as repetitive with the same Player Bots.

Anyway, for bots, you can read what we'll be doing with them here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/warcraft-3-world-warcraft-350/wc3-wow-bots-155189/#post1432869

For the record though, we haven't started Player Bots yet.

Level 9
Oh man, it has been one hell of a frustrating few days already. Been trying to get my files back by repeatedly taking out and putting back in my hardware, fondling with the BIOS and other settings, and even considered getting a professional to at least save Wc3:WoW. However, it turned out that the reason for my PC constantly restarting and showing Blue Screens before I could even log in was due to the loss of a number of vital Windows files. All it really took was a quick BIOS change and hour-long "repair" by using the VISTA installation disk.

I've immediately uploaded the mod to several protected and private websites to ensure we can at least hold onto this version for a longer duration without having to worry. The virus might strike back at my PC again soon since it is unusually really, really slow, but it won't matter that much. Wc3:WoW is safe and sound.

Sorry for all the worry and lack of faith embedded in many of you guys. I was almost certain that it was the end of the mod and felt I should just let you guys know. I also realize a lot of people had become enraged for me posting the previous news post, thinking it was a mere scapegoat to easily quit and walk away. Wc3:WoW has been in development for over 4 years. If I quit, I'll either find a good replacement immediately or simply release the mod. But quitting is not on my agenda!

Stay tuned for more information regarding development...

this is why he was inactive a bit.

Level 5
If your chilling in orgimar or something...
1)Will there be more bots than usual(similar to how more people hang out in cities in real WoW)
2)Will these people do something other than just stand there? Or can we expect to get the guy that runs in circles and the guy that spams holy nova and whatnot :)

Level 7
OMG man, i can say 1 thing omg!!!, dont think i am pleased with this map, i am not pleased.
I support using WoW models etc., but what u did is not Wc3:WoW it is Wc3 with WoW atmosphere.
As i see bu ur models etc. ur map size exceeds minimum 8mb available for playing locale network, that makes ur map IS SINGEL PLAYER, if that so, u have unlimited map size, so what's the problem.? MAKE World of Warcraft!!! When equipping item add speciall effect.!
Ex: i equipped Staff names: MAge's staff, so get ANY WoW staff model and equipe it ur character!!!, I have more then 1000 weapons models... i can offer u them, also i have 100+ WoW creature models and 200+ WoW character models with different models, that should help u make WoW!!!

Level 6
OMG man, i can say 1 thing omg!!!, dont think i am pleased with this map, i am not pleased.
I support using WoW models etc., but what u did is not Wc3:WoW it is Wc3 with WoW atmosphere.
As i see bu ur models etc. ur map size exceeds minimum 8mb available for playing locale network, that makes ur map IS SINGEL PLAYER, if that so, u have unlimited map size, so what's the problem.? MAKE World of Warcraft!!! When equipping item add speciall effect.!
Ex: i equipped Staff names: MAge's staff, so get ANY WoW staff model and equipe it ur character!!!, I have more then 1000 weapons models... i can offer u them, also i have 100+ WoW creature models and 200+ WoW character models with different models, that should help u make WoW!!!

Umm...

I will NEVER understand what you just said.

Umm...

I will NEVER understand what you just said.

I second that.

I think you're completely missing the point, kid. What do you think he would accomplish by seamlessly recreating WoW?

The idea is having Wc3 with a WoW atmosphere.. There is already a World of Warcraft.. If that's what you want to play, then pay to play that?

I second that.

I think you're completely missing the point, kid. What do you think he would accomplish by seamlessly recreating WoW?

The idea is having Wc3 with a WoW atmosphere.. There is already a World of Warcraft.. If that's what you want to play, then pay to play that?

Right. And yes its a single player since its a campaign, isnt it obvious? And having an unlimited file size limit does not mean that you should maximize it...

btw, if you want a complete remake of WoW in WC3 then instead of complaining to the makers of this project, why dont you just make one? I guess that will be easy for you since you said that you have lots of models from WoW.

PS: Still waiting for this project to get a fully playable version. Good Luck