• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Scaling an animated model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heya

Is it in some way possible to rescale an already animated model in "insert your 3D application of choice", so the keyframes follow?
I remembered too late that attached models in War3 scale with the model if scaled in game. So I would like to rescale the model outside of War3 first.

Right now I need to scale my model to around 0.6 in the editor and any attached model becomes quite small.

Level 34
Hey, the easiest way is to create a new bone and a new global animation in magos. Then you attach the root bone to this scale dummy bone you've just created and edit it. Then if you need it to be, let's say 20% bigger and your global anim is 1000 frames long, it should look like:

0: (1.20; 1.20; 1.20)
1000: (1.20; 1.20; 1.20)

(or something very close)

i recommend also scaling the attachement point along with the model (if needed)

Hey, the easiest way is to create a new bone and a new global animation in magos. Then you attach the root bone to this scale dummy bone you've just created and edit it. Then if you need it to be, let's say 20% bigger and your global anim is 1000 frames long, it should look like:

0: (1.20; 1.20; 1.20)
1000: (1.20; 1.20; 1.20)

(or something very close)

i recommend also scaling the attachement point along with the model (if needed)

Uh that sounds like some serious trail and error on my part.
But you also mention scaling attachment points. In theory, and practically, could I simply scale the attachment points in magos and leave the model as it is?

As I wrote.
The model should use a scale of 0.6 - 0.65 in the editor. If I scale the attachment points accordingly in Magos, I guess around 40% bigger, that would do the job?

Level 34
Uh that sounds like some serious trail and error on my part.
But you also mention scaling attachment points. In theory, and practically, could I simply scale the attachment points in magos and leave the model as it is?

As I wrote.
The model should use a scale of 0.6 - 0.65 in the editor. If I scale the attachment points accordingly in Magos, I guess around 40% bigger, that would do the job?

Yeah, 35-40% should do it.

You know, if you pay attention to my unit models you can notice that i always scale someting post-animating with global animations. Sometimes even the bodyparts.

Attachments

• l33tguide.png
    l33tguide.png
    165.5 KB · Views: 119
Why would it if it's a fucking global animation and you are giving scaling to a bone that's never scaled outside of this global animation? And how can it mess up keyframe positions? I think it's enough with the silly questions. You could have tried and tested it like a 1000 times already.

Uhm... what the hell just happened?

Kind of late reply, but if your only concern is putting the attachments at an appropriate scale, all you should do is scale each of the attachment nodes themselves, through the Global Sequence method JH said.

Scaling the bone_root will scale all attachments as well, so it is no different than changing the Scaling Value in WE.

The "Don't Inherit Scale" checkbox intuitively tells me it would preserve the default scale despite of the animations, and that would be really useful for the attachment scale issue, but sadly it doesn't work as so.

Status
Not open for further replies.