• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rescaling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello,

I have been trying to rescale a model, but without much success. The model is a unit model; I'm rescaling it because I intend to use it with attachments, and I want the attachments to look their original size (something which AFAIK isn't possible if I scale the model using the "Art - Scale Value" field in the unit's object data. I'm using the method suggested here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-resize-model-warcraft-3-model-editor-128235/

The model looks properly rescaled in the Warcraft 3 Model Editor, but in-game the model looks completely messed up (parts of it are stretched out, etc.). Is there another method to rescale the model?

Because you're scaling only mesh.. and on the other hand, the bones remain in the same position. This causes the deformation in the model.

A quick solution would be, in War 3 model editor you have to open the model, go to windows / global sequences manager, right click and create new. Put value 10, close the window.

Go to node manager, find the root bone of your model. Right click and Edit Node, in the new window go to scaling (If there is anything else written here that 0: {0, 0, 0} you need to create a bone above the "Root", and then move the "root" to the right. This way your new bone base, that you created. If this happen you need to add the scaling parameter in the new bone.) and put this:

0: { 2, 2, 2 }
10: { 2, 2, 2 }

In the botton of this window, in global sequence ID put the ID of the global animation that you created before.

If you run any animation, the full model is scaled to two times the original size. Change the 2 if you need other scale.

Level 3
Because you're scaling only mesh.. and on the other hand, the bones remain in the same position. This causes the deformation in the model.

A quick solution would be, in War 3 model editor you have to open the model, go to windows / global sequences manager, right click and create new. Put value 10, close the window.

Go to node manager, find the root bone of your model. Right click and Edit Node, in the new window go to scaling (If there is anything else written here that 0: {0, 0, 0} you need to create a bone above the "Root", and then move the "root" to the right. This way your new bone base, that you created. If this happen you need to add the scaling parameter in the new bone.) and put this:

0: { 2, 2, 2 }
10: { 2, 2, 2 }

In the botton of this window, in global sequence ID put the ID of the global animation that you created before.

If you run any animation, the full model is scaled to two times the original size. Change the 2 if you need other scale.

I tried that solution now, and while it did rescale the model properly, it is also unfortunately rescaling attachments.

Level 23
I tried that, but unfortunately it seems to not affect attachments at all.
There is another thing to try -- in Magos', if you go to the Edit Node panel, there is a "Don't Inherit Scaling" option. I've never tried it, so it may be another dead-end Blizzard never implemented, but it might be worth going around all the attachment points and ticking this.

Level 3
Thanks all for the suggestions!

I managed to make it work by using the same method Anvil suggested for the root bone for the attachment ref as well, so while my root bone rescales the model by 0.55, the hand attachment references rescale the attachments by 1.8, restoring their normal size. Unfortunately though, the portrait now looks a bit strange (the camera is not properly set on the face anymore, it only gets a glimpse of the top of the model's head.

Level 3
Thats because you never changed the camera, and you scaled the model...

Make the camera from scratch in magos, under window/camera manager.
First play stand animation, so the model will scale up, move it around to get the desire angle for the camera, and then create a new camera using "create new from current view".

I did it another way which solved the problem. I put the model back in it's original scale (but left the rescale of attachment points), and then used the scaling field in the object editor to put the model in the scale that I wanted, since doing that doesn't affect the camera. It worked! So now it has both the camera working and the attachment at the normal size.

Status
Not open for further replies.