• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 contests?

Read the first post!

• No SC2 contests (keep it as it is)

Votes: 87 19.7%
  • Do a few SC2 contests but keep it mostly WC3

Votes: 197 44.6%
  • Do an even mixture of both

Votes: 136 30.8%
  • Do more SC2 contests and only a few WC3 ones

Votes: 31 7.0%
  • SC2 contests only

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • Undecided / don't care / other

Votes: 27 6.1%

• Total voters
Level 19
I'd prefer it to stay as it is, because the Warcraft III editor can be explored to further bounds if more contests on it is held.
Warcraft III is still the original and mother of all Modding in Hive, so that would be my choice:)

Level 22
True but the same goes for giving up on sc2. I don't take part in such contests but it's interesting to see cool looking terrain etc. THW is boring you wanna make it even more boring with the same old war3 cartoony graphics that have bored ppl so much.

Often times I wonder what I'm doing here when im not a maker, the answer is - too look for help when making a map or smth cause when I take 1 game it becomes my 'temple', I play it or do smth in the editor. But again if you intend to leave it in the same boring state with a game that has 7 years just because some newbs are just starting war3 (lol)... I would gladly move to sc2mapster and use their help, cause it doesnt matter to me.

Level 6
Personally I love warcraft III and every aspect of it. SC II on the other hand is just ok. I would rather keep Warcrfat III alive than make everything about SC II because you just can't do as much with SC II, period. I know technically you can do more with the new editor but I absolutely hate it, it's just not "good". I'll stick with my jassnewgen and Warcraft.

On the other hand, I would rather play the ladder on SCII over Warcraft III any day, but that's not what this poll is about :)
Custom games? Warcraft III > SC II

Level 21
Personally I love warcraft III and every aspect of it. SC II on the other hand is just ok. I would rather keep Warcrfat III alive than make everything about SC II because you just can't do as much with SC II, period. I know technically you can do more with the new editor but I absolutely hate it, it's just not "good". I'll stick with my jassnewgen and Warcraft.

On the other hand, I would rather play the ladder on SCII over Warcraft III any day, but that's not what this poll is about :)

I couldn't agree more!

I personally tried the SC2 campaigns and quit on the second mission.

Level 21
Well I don't care for any prizes, but I'm looking forward to all the different skins/models people create.

1. The campagin was awesome, i beat it on brutal and it was so fucking killer, the achve bug stopped me from getting the achives :( its a matter of oppinion.

2. The WE looked more complex to me than the GE does to me now. It is easier (even if it takes longer) to use, and far more powerful.

3. Wc3 and WoW assets in sc2 means that wc3 like-but-better games will be coming out shortly, and probably campaign remakes aswell.

In short, aside from freaking me out initially, it turns out that fater faults, its much better experience than the WE, the only difference is people expect it to be a miracle tool just like the WE, its not. its a different tool. its not WE 2.0 Its GE 1.0. Liking it and disliking it is oppinion. ITs effectiveness is fact.

The people who said wc3 contests only are only hurting not just the -having-fun-modding community, but both the sc2 and wc3 communities. some sc2 artists may enter wc3 contests, but they wont be here in the first place if there isnt any suport for sc2.

Level 21
1. The campagin was awesome, i beat it on brutal and it was so fucking killer, the achve bug stopped me from getting the achives :( its a matter of oppinion.

2. The WE looked more complex to me than the GE does to me now. It is easier (even if it takes longer) to use, and far more powerful.

3. Wc3 and WoW assets in sc2 means that wc3 like-but-better games will be coming out shortly, and probably campaign remakes aswell.

In short, aside from freaking me out initially, it turns out that fater faults, its much better experience than the WE, the only difference is people expect it to be a miracle tool just like the WE, its not. its a different tool. its not WE 2.0 Its GE 1.0. Liking it and disliking it is oppinion. ITs effectiveness is fact.

The people who said wc3 contests only are only hurting not just the -having-fun-modding community, but both the sc2 and wc3 communities. some sc2 artists may enter wc3 contests, but they wont be here in the first place if there isnt any suport for sc2.

I have placed 3 (three) votes in the pool and I dare you to guess which options had I chosen.

True but the same goes for giving up on sc2. I don't take part in such contests but it's interesting to see cool looking terrain etc. THW is boring you wanna make it even more boring with the same old war3 cartoony graphics that have bored ppl so much.

Often times I wonder what I'm doing here when im not a maker, the answer is - too look for help when making a map or smth cause when I take 1 game it becomes my 'temple', I play it or do smth in the editor. But again if you intend to leave it in the same boring state with a game that has 7 years just because some newbs are just starting war3 (lol)... I would gladly move to sc2mapster and use their help, cause it doesnt matter to me.

Denying SCII will make Hive less popular and less new people will come to join the community and that ain't good. I don't see the problem in hosting those contests, people will learn a lot from them and will improve in SCII modding making the next contests more interesting. Just think about it.

I have to disagree with all this, Starcraft II was a disappointment. Also, hive is not boring, and will not die because of starcraft II.

Level 21
Everybody has his own opinion but if you don't like it DO NOT, I repeat myself, DO NOT ruin it for other people. You guys just stay at the WC3 community and be happy, we other people like SCII and that's why hive is going to make it even more fun by hosting fun contests.

We, "the people", are afraid of bullcrappers that might ruin the WC3 community by their opinion.

Luckily, this does not seem to be happening yet.

Moreover, I really didn't like Sc2. :sad:

Level 22
The only thing war3 has is better but means a lot is the better gameplay. Battles and micro which are the very base why ppl play war3 is much more interesting but still, as little as it is, similar is applied to sc2. But war3 has more interesting battles.

Other than that, worse cartoony graphics, ugly models, less capabilities with WE. Ofc making medieval maps in sc2 is painful so nice to see TWIF doing it cause choosing the difficult way should be rewarded. I dont see how sc2 mapmaking is worse... For mediaval just more difficult and requires models.

I'd say it's ok to have War3 contests and almost no SC2 contests. But THW had better make just as big SC2 section by next summer or you want it to end like WC3C with little activity. It's not my concern but this looks as ignorant as my team not switching to sc2 because of Paragraph 1 of this post. Which ended in 'bye i will look for new team, half of sc2ers are from war3'.

We, "the people", are afraid of bullcrappers that might ruin the WC3 community by their opinion.

Luckily, this does not seem to be happening yet.

Moreover, I really didn't like Sc2. :sad:

I'm not sure in what way do you mean "ruin" the WC3 community, not having a big SCII community will not only ruin the WC3 community but the whole hive. People will move on to SCII putting a SCII forum/contests here or not. So if Hive for example doesn't give into SCII like it did for WC3 it will eventually lose users in time that want to play/mod SCII and those people will go to other forums and then we (the wc3 community) will end up like Wc3Campigning (which is bad), but if Hive puts effort into both games equally, people wont have to move on the some other forums, they could stay here on the hive and by doing that hive gets more popular.

Level 17
Its the fact that GE is easier that makes it worse. It is like MW2, they made it so easy, so simple to comprehend, someone who never played a fps could easily play it and get kills like nothing, and what happened to it? people started to hate it. WE provides a challenge, a way for people to actually use their brains and figure things out. People always try to do harder things then what they know, like GUI to Jass, I still cant do Jass and i strive to try and learn it, but before i can i want to master GUI.

So you think that the hive shouldent support sc2? if thats the case them I will leave.

The hive as a community will grow. a larger community means more poeple to do a broader range of help, terraining is a skill that can work across games, so is basic development, level design and art. the worst thing you could do to the wc3 community is say no to the sc2 one.

I'm sure other sc2-ites wil leave to places like sc2 mapster aswell.

I LOVED wc3. LOVED IT. Had a great time modding it too, but imo its time for me to move on. I'm not imposing my choice on you. why are you imposing your choice on me? The community is one whole entity, by denying a part, no matter how small, you can only hurt it.

Oppinion is oppinion, your entitled to yours. but dont force your belifs onto me and expect me to accept them. Don't.

the GE is no more complex than the WE, it took most of us months to learn the WE, and it is the same learning curve for the GE, with all the nice tutorials out there, i doubt it will be very long.

Level 22
I would be disappointed to see WC3 die, and the way for that to happen is for a WC3 site to embrace SC2 more than WC3. I would only hope you don't start out-sourcing WC3 modders for these new-wave SC2 modders.

And for all of you who threaten to leave THW, (not mentioning names :3), there's already a SC2 website, (I don't recall the name but it's used often by CloudWolf), so why don't you hall your wise-ass out of here and start modding SC2, and stop trying to kill Warcraft!

Level 19
I don't play Starcraft II though, so yeah, voting for the usual Warcraft III only, anyways it's great to expand it's bounds with a Contest.

Your ruining the hive by denying SCII, people will move on to SCII even if you put a big SCII community or NOT. We will be like Wc3Campinging.

I'm sure Hive isn't going to embrace more SCII then WC3, as we said, equal to both games.

@xRiotZx, I really love WC3, I'm making a big project and I also want people to play it but the thing is your absolutely wrong here. Making people leave the hive will only make it worse. We are aiming for a higher and more popular community here on hive not "gtfo if you like SCII" No one will join us then any more. So don't ruin this nice site with your un-thought opinion.

Level 20
People who say there going to leave if we do not embrace SCII are being silly, it's childish to get worked up over such a small thing, we have a sc2 section SO OBVIOUSLY the hive supports it to some degree and always will.

If you've got a problem, yeah, go over to sc2mapster or udmod, I'm sure they'd love some new members and you don't have to 'leave' the hive either. I'm sure quite a few sensible people are members on several different forums/sites.

-> Likewise, don't get in a huff if we do start shifting more towards it naturally sc2 is war3's predecessor (until war4 comes along), so it's not like were completely up-heaving the heart and soul of the site... Just advancing, were human, it's what we do.

TWIF PLEASE I BEG OF YOU stop using that darn video!!! D:
IT must be in 50% of the site's active threads by now.

Yeah, admittedly I think we've taken too long to get into the sc2 scene, it'll be hard to grab a lot of the community already over @ sc2campaigns/mapster/ud etc... So for that reason I'd like thw to stay war3 focussed, but I'm not going to leave if I don't get my way, what's the point in that? - you won't gain anything!

Level 17
You should do more Warcraft 3 contests for now as it is still more popular, but over like say the next 1-2 years start giving Starcraft 2 more contests but don't ever stop giving Warcraft 3 contests. It's one hell of a game still!

Its in 2 threads now -.-

The reason to leave?
There are quite a few, and they should be basic.

I woulden't leave, because the hive is a community, (one that I donated 1000 dollars too, that in itself is a reason to stay.) But I would be dissapointed if the Hive became PROACTIVE in DENYING my modding experience.

Thats about it.
No two ways about it.

We are here to have fun doin' our modding shizz' lets not let our oppinion get in the way of being nice.

Level 22
Your ruining the hive by denying SCII, people will move on to SCII even if you put a big SCII community or NOT. We will be like Wc3Campinging.

I'm sure Hive isn't going to embrace more SCII then WC3, as we said, equal to both games.

@xRiotZx, I really love WC3, I'm making a big project and I also want people to play it but the thing is your absolutely wrong here. Making people leave the hive will only make it worse. We are aiming for a higher and more popular community here on hive not "gtfo if you like SCII" No one will join us then any more. So don't ruin this nice site with your un-thought opinion.

I'm just saying that their are plenty of other mod sites to go to. This one is for WC3, there's one for SC2 if you want to upload maps for SC2 or take a SC2 contest go there. By adding SC2 you will completely outsource the WC3 community over a long period of time. Getting more members to join for SC2 will encourage WC3 users to start screwing with SC2 or to start leaving WC3 behind.

Think of it like math. Here's a pot of one-hundred people |100| we will deposit 75 of the people to SC2. We are now left with 25 WC3 users. Now that can't actually happen because people won't actually convert from WC3 to SC2 if they are fans, but what will happen is SC2 will slowly consume all of THW's resources, ranging from users to eventually model sections, skin sections.

By making them completely equal SC2 will eventually over-take WC3's contests and slowly take over THW.

15%-SC2 | 85%-WC3

Don't kill Warcraft.

@TheWorldIsFlat: Please man, stop threatening to leave; there's a massive section tagged "Starcraft II", and we both already know they will add SC2 contests at equal or lesser value to WC3 contests. What Grey Nightmare said above is completely correct, stop being childish, don't get over-worked on such a foolish issue that's already resolved as I said one line of thought above.

Level 22
I'm just saying that their are plenty of other mod sites to go to. This one is for WC3, there's one for SC2 if you want to upload maps for SC2 or take a SC2 contest go there. By adding SC2 you will completely outsource the WC3 community over a long period of time. Getting more members to join for SC2 will encourage WC3 users to start screwing with SC2 or to start leaving WC3 behind.

This is where you got it wrong, pal. THW is for War3 and SC2 and Ralle is doing this nice job to make a good looking SC2 section in the future. I say you get used to having both games or you all who can't accept that there will be SC2 are free to leave.

Level 49
Look, guys... If our SC2 section will grow to be a semi-separated forum with full sections, contests, discussions and etc, more people from other sites and from all over the Internet might find us and join to mod SC2(they might be completely unfamiliar with WC3!). Although I agree that some users will convert to StarCraft 2 simply because it's newer and has better options, I do not think it will kill Warcraft 3. Many old fans of WC3 are still here and probably ain't planning to leave. The WC3 contests are as successful as ever. And people can actually mod both WC3 and SC2, take modelers for example. We can't do much for SC2 as not a lot of tools are out yet, but as soon as it will become possible, I'm sure that we could just model both for WC3 AND for SC2.