• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Round Table of Arkain

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26
Shar you mentioned dragonhawks but I only ever saw one when I finally attacked yellow's base, Larantos mainly just trained demons and cav when he attacked me or I attacked him.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Hey Shar in your world of Arkain , orcs are allied with taurens ?

I'm not even sure if I'll add them to Arkain. It' unlikely that they'll appear in any of the First Books.

Shar you mentioned dragonhawks but I only ever saw one when I finally attacked yellow's base, Larantos mainly just trained demons and cav when he attacked me or I attacked him.

The Dragonhawks should be used by orange and green, if I remember correctly. Maybe you defeated them before they trained them, I made sure it'll take some time before the AI uses them to attack you.
And the Walkyries can counter Doomguards, Cavalry and Fel Stalkers quite good. So, only Infernals are left. Since their attack is magic, they can also destroy Watch Towers quite good. Still, I know what you mean and I'll consider decreasing the difficulty or adding cavalry. Or something else.

Level 12
My sugestion is to replace taurens with ogres for orc book. What you think ? And sorry if i angry you with my sugestions

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
As already mentioned, the Second Books and the First Undead and Orc Books are still in the planning phase and I'm working on the First Books mostly atm. I'll make concrete plans for the Second Books, when I'm far enough. However, ogres already are in the Arkain world, it's not unlikely, you'll be able to control them at one point. And of course I'm not angry about you posting suggestions. As mentioned in the first post, you're free to post them as long as they're not complete nonsense - and luckily that didn't happen so far - and if I like them and can include them in a way I personally like, I'll use them. ;)
Something like "Make the Empire negotiate with the Demons and let them work together against the other races." for example is never going to happen. Some humans might get enslaved or manipulated by Demons, but that's about it.

Level 12
In the orc book i think you can make 2 or 3 mission when a powerful leader (something like Cato Deathscream or Uzurmar the Fierce ) unite the clans into a strong force, like Golden Horde or The Blue Bastilion or what you want . Anyway good luck

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

You should reduce health of the crossbowmen. They are too strong.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
@kakuzu: I can't comment that without revealing too much. ;)

@Imperator: Hm, what makes them too strong? Could you explain this further? They're actually like Riflemen with less damage, slower attack, less health and slightly reduced gold cost (5 gold). I mean, they have better armor than their dwarven counterparts, which can also be increased, but that's their only strength.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

The armor is cool, but they should have around 300 HP, instead of (i think) 500. It takes them forever to die. Also reduce their price.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Compare that crossbowman with any archer unit. He would still be way stronger, but now he's just OP

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
If I reduced health to 300, Crossbowmen would do nothing but die. I compared him to other units when I revived the campaign. It's true that he's a bit stronger than a Headhunter or Archer for example, but they require less food. A Cryptfiend or an upgraded Rifleman are just as strong as a upgraded Crossbowman. And if you send three Archers or Headhunters against two Crossbowmen, their strength is quite the same.
Crossbowmen are supposed to be like Riflemen, just more persistent and harder to kill, with less damage dealt by them. And in melee combat, they still die quite fast.
I considered to give them a more crossbow-like feeling by decreasing hit points and armor for the sake of high damage, but I decided against it. The humans needed an unit with such endurance to deal with orc spellcasters (especially in the first chapter).

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

OK, cool, I was just suggesting, that's all :)

Level 12
Hey Shar i have a sugestion . You have interesting heroes for the human book , with different ability and unique personality but you can add a dwarf hero something like Magnus The Mighty or Tagnus Bronzebeard

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
@Imperator: Suggestions are always welcome, I just discussed this matter with you. No offense in any of this. :)

By the way, I added sky to the maps. This will be included within the next update. It'll also include the next chapter and the last interlude of this book.

@kakuzu: There is already a dwarf, Zarin Hammerfall. He was seen in the last interlude. He'll be back.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Version .0.50 released

General:
- Added sky to all maps except Chapter Six

Chapter Seven:
- Completed Chapter Seven

This is the last update I can make that fast - no, this does NOT mean that the project is closed or something. My job has begun again and I don't have as much time as I used to. Also, the next update with a new chapter is going to be a huge one. I'll only add other updates earlier if I've missed some major bugs who have to be fixed ASAP.
The next big update will not only include the next interlude and chapter but also an overhaul of the last chapters. I'll try to find and terminate all possible bugs and make some changes for the cinematics and some other stuff.

edit:
However, I'll post progress reports from time to time to keep you up to date.
I also added "series" to the thread name in order to make the name more fitting.

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
@kakuzu: Please ask such questions via PM as they don't belong to the topic - I might have done the same mistake before but from now on I don't want anymore spam in this thread. Everything here is supposed to be about the campaign series development.

For the progress: I stopped working on the next interlude and chapter to focus completely on the overhaul of the last chapters. One of the main things I want to change is the cinematic system. I want to add something to decrease the possibility of bugs and glitches.

Level 12
Awsome , cant wait to full version. Also the night elves arent presents in your world ?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
@kakuzu: Most likely not.

Progress report:
I edited the cinematics and am still working on making them better. Expecially the cinematic in the middle of Chapter Seven needs some work - I think that the whole chapter will need some improvements. Please report if you find something that must be fixed.
I also edited some other stuff - among others, Chapter Five got some minor changes - and I'm working on adding minor easter eggs. However, it seems that some of them can't be added in this Book. Here's a little spoiler about this IF you want to know instead of waiting for it. ;)

The easter eggs will be more like a little additional thank you to everyone, who supported this project so far. You *might* meet yourself. ;)
If you don't want something like this or want more information/have own suggestions, contact me via PM.

Kasrkin

Level 26
Chapter Seven.... I'll see you on the other side.

As always reserved spot for editing. *Grabs bug zapper* I'm going in.
Edit: Huh, some strange ones today: when brown came in and built their base and sent the initial wave of raiders to guard the gold mines they didn't do anything. I'm serious it was like they were on a hold ground order but not even attacking or reacting.
Next we got one I was actually expecting, when I destroyed the shipyards on the left side there were still waves of ships sent out to fight me.
Lastly, our brave heroes don't appear in the ending cinematic but the footman that delivers the status of the fleet does.

Oh, and not sure about this one but are you meant to be able to control those golems?

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
@kakuzu: Fine so far. I added some stuff like new spells, improved the maps a bit and fixed the bugs that Kasrkin found.

@Kasrkin: Well, I modified the trigger and this should be solved with the next update. However, I didn't have the opportunity to test it so far.
I was already considering to remove the transport ships when creating the chapter, so this bug couldn't occur, but, well...

Progress report:
As mentioned above, I further improved the maps and cinematics. I added "some" (around 30) hero spells for the campaign that I created for some older campaigns of mine. However, I don't think I'll change the spells of the heroes that appeared so far. Their spells are already fitting.
I also changed the hotkeys from all hero abilities (only hero, not unit) to the QWER keys to allow better control over them.
The boss fight in Chapter Six has also been improved. The boss gained a new spell.
I consider making an update before finishing the next interlude and chapter, so you can replay the last three chapters (5,6 and 7) - which got the most improvements.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
And, again, another progress report - it DOES get annoying that there are no updates, doesn't it? ;P
I'm almost done with editing the maps. I only have to add a little something and test it. Also, I continued to work on the next maps. Interlude Three is half finished and after that, I'll turn to create the next chapter(s).

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Version 0.51 released
After some consideration, I decided to update this despite the next chapter(s) aren't finished so that you can take a look at the improvements. I wasn't able to test everything.
This doesn't include the next interlude since it has to be released with the next chapters - would be too hard to explain and would contain too many spoilers. ;)

General:
- Cinematic improvements
- Terrain improvements
- Miscellaneous Fixes
- Modified Elf techtree
- All hero abilities use the QWER hotkeys

Chapter Four:
- Added special item

Chapter Five:
- Fixed AIs
- Replaced some models with more elf like models
- Changed Call Gardon button

Chapter Six:
- Improved Boss Battle

Chapter Seven:
- War Golems now belong to the player
- Fixed enemy ship attacks

I advise all, who already played Chapters Four to Seven, to play them again - mostly because of cache reasons. I added some lore items which are kinda important.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Heh, thanks mate. :)
The series will take some time, but this campaign is more than half-finished.
I can't tell you when exactly I'll release the full version, but I plan this campaign to have its full release somewhere between this day and the 21st November. Then, I'm going to take a little break before working on the First Orc Book.

Level 12
Great i know that it will be a great campaign when you will release the full version . Also more information about orc book coming soon ?

Kasrkin

Level 26
*Comes crashing in with a drop pod.*

I've got work to do.

Edit: Chapter Four: Well, the captains along the retreat path finally work, wewt. I'm not sure if I never noticed this guy before but the Darkblade Legion had a random unupgraded captain. Is it possible to get those elites/captains guarding Bloodclaw in the cinematic back to their original brown color instead of teal?

Chapter Five: K... I gotta stop the mission for a sec, there is no place to upgrade my ballistas and give them impaling shot, also there is a copy of Salana's Enhanced Neckalce right in the middle of orange's base. Also, I tried to ignore it since the campaign isn't done but since I'm talking about the necklace, the grammar on that thing is horrible. Sorry

Alright, I'm gonna stop for right now I'll get back to you later.

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Chapter Eight is progressing quite good so far.
I also fixed the reported bugs and made some improvements for the other chapters.
To ensure that everything works so far, I'll test the whole campaign before releasing the next update. As already mentioned, with the next update I'll also give some information about the Orc Book.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Yes, good work. I'm a little busy now, but I will continue playing when the full version comes out.
I played a few missions, and everything seems cool (apart from small thing I mentioned earlier).

Kasrkin

Level 26
I'll try to get you a report of six and seven sometime this week, sorry Shar. Technically shouldn't even be logged in right now. Cya

Kasrkin

Level 26
Chapter Six: Just a minor one so far but the dialogue with the first demon/undead fight has the crossbowman named as footman and I got no footmen, man. Actually, a lot of the dialogue has a footman say something but I don't have any. In the end cinematic where'd that footman come from he wasn't in my expedition, he's a spy!

Chapter Seven: That initial raider wave the new orc base sends out still don't attack any of my units they just try to get to the gold mines and then they just stand there. In the end cutscene it looked like Aedale was trying to walk away but was stuck. Maybe a difficulty modifier for hard, add in zepplin waves to make it even more challenging.

I'll get back to you with eight later.

Last edited:
Level 9
This is all quite good looking, I support this project though I have yet to play it, I will give you guys my report on bugs if I find any and help with Spelling and Grammar if ya'll have those issues (I'm better at it in game then I am posting on web forums)

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Great , these are good news , good luck with it !

Thx.

Chapter Six: Just a minor one so far but the dialogue with the first demon/undead fight has the crossbowman named as footman and I got no footmen, man. Actually, a lot of the dialogue has a footman say something but I don't have any. In the end cinematic where'd that footman come from he wasn't in my expedition, he's a spy!

Chapter Seven: That initial raider wave the new orc base sends out still don't attack any of my units they just try to get to the gold mines and then they just stand there. In the end cutscene it looked like Aedale was trying to walk away but was stuck. Maybe a difficulty modifier for hard, add in zepplin waves to make it even more challenging.

I'll get back to you with eight later.

Alright, alright. I'm gonna fix the footman thing. Strange, I never realized that. Oh and yes, the last one was a spy! ;P (Nay, gonna replace him. But can't promise you that he'll be replaced with a unit that's still alive in the end. ;)

Damn raiders. Too lazy to fight. I'll take another look at this. Same for Aedale.
Chapter Seven was too easy, you think? I'll consider doing what you suggested.

This is all quite good looking, I support this project though I have yet to play it, I will give you guys my report on bugs if I find any and help with Spelling and Grammar if ya'll have those issues (I'm better at it in game then I am posting on web forums)

Thanks, man. There are some grammar issues in the campaign I already fixed in the yet unreleased version. Anyway, feel free to report anything you find. :)

@all: Just a little thing I wanted to ask: Who's your favorite character so far? Yeah, it's a bit too early to ask such things, but to hell with it. I have my reasons. :p

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I took the liberty of adding two screens from chapter eight. Enjoy!

171388-albums7520-picture89163.jpg

171388-albums7520-picture89164.jpg

Kasrkin

Level 26
Chapter Eight: There were no actual bugs that I found or just did not notice them but I'm leaning towards the former. This mission was fun but it needs something as you're walking through the forest, maybe just random conversations. About the difficulty though there was never a real chance of me losing my men even during the boss fights. The optional boss wasn't that bad but he went down really quick. The final boss went down too damn quickly, I burned him down way too fast maybe more health or armor?

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
@Kasrkin: Thanks for the report. Glad there are no bugs.
For the rest: I have to admit, this doesn't really surprise me. The very first version I tested was too hard so I had to nerf it before giving it to you. I already got some ideas to make this chapter both more difficult and less dull.
By the way, you've been promoted to the Chief Development Tester of this campaign. Congratulations! ;)

@kakuzu: Thanks, I will. ;)

Progress report:
The second half of Chapter Eight is being made quite good. Shouldn't take too long until I can update the demo. And after Chapter Eight there are only three
(actually four, if you make certain decisions)
chapters and the epilogue left.
In the First Human Book, there'll be no "Survive for XX minutes!" or "Do this within XX minutes!" missions. However, it's still possible that the other First Books will contain missions like this. And I already know for sure that something like this will be in the Second Books. (I don't like such missions, but there's no way around it - believe me, I tried to avoid them.)

Last edited: