• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rotating a particle emitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I want to do a cinematic in which someone throws a hammer through another person and their guts explode out their back.

I've decided to use this .mdx for the guts: OrcLargeDeathExplode.mdx

I've opened it in the War3 Model Editor v1.07. I don't know much at all about modelling (mostly just making attachment points and sounds). So I'm just playing around.

I need to do 2 things:

1. make the blood fly out but not return to the ground
2. make the blood fly out horizontally rather than up in the air.

I played around and managed to accomplish #1 (I found the blood particle emitters and changed "gravity" to 0). Now the blood flies up in the air and keeps going, eventually disappearing.

For #2, I need the blood to fly out at a 90 degree angle rather than up in the air. I can't seem to find where this is in the model or particle emitter tab. Could someone give a hint?

Thanks.

Level 14
Sadly, AFAIK there is no way of rotating particles using the war3 editor. It might be possible using MDLvis though. What you need to do is to animate a bone to rotate 90 degrees (in this case), and attach the particle emitter onto it.

I may have misspoken. I don't need the particle to rotate in game, I need it to fly horizontally rather than vertically. Right now, the exploding corpse model flies like this:

^
|
|
|

I need it to fly like this:

- - - - - >

I think it is possible, those flame trap models appear to shoot fire horizontally, but I don't know how.

Level 14
You might need this tool.
You can use it to rotate everything during specific animations or all via the use of a global one.

General, thanks. I'm unsure on how to use this thing though. I put in various numbers under heading and bank and got several quaternion outputs. I wasn't sure where to put them to play with the effect though, so I edited the node and put them into the "translation" and "rotation" sections of the Transformations tab which was the only section that seemed to have the right format (i.e. {#, #, #, #}). They didn't appear to do anything though.

I've attached the model here in case anyone needs to see it:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin_data/c7alks/_files/OrcLargeDeathExplode.mdx

To be clear, I would like to put the effect on its side so that it looks like someone's guts flying out after they get shot in the chest. In other words, if someone were shot in the chest their guts would fly toward the wall behind them, not up toward the ceiling and then down again.

Sorry I'm so hopeless at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.