• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Research Upgrade problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
hi, i want to make a upgrade that is invisible until the techtree requirments are
fufilled, which is another upgrade. So for an example there is two upgrades in
a blacksmith, but you can only see one upgrade. When you have built the first upgrade, the second is visible.

Now, i cannot use the: stats - Levels to have upgrade tiers becouse
there is no tier 2 effect, so if i would to make a second effect, it would
apply to the first upgrade tier and the second tier would be useless.

any ideas? thx

if you want it COMPLETELY hidden until first upgrade is done then here :
  • Research Needed
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Player - Set the max research level of Your Tier 2 Upgrade to 0 for Picked Player
then, add another trigger :
  • Research Obtained
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes an upgrade
    • Conditions
      • (Researched tech-type) Equal to (==) Your Tier 1 Upgrade
    • Actions
      • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Player - Set the max research level of Your Tier 2 Upgrade to 1 for (Picked player)

Level 9
Well, I didn't see any action like "Enable/Disable Tech-Type" (there's an action to enable or disable the training of units, though...). However, maybe you can do it this way: you can have two versions of your building (the one where you have the upgrades). Have one of them with the first upgrade (Building A), and another one with the second upgrade (Building B). Then, detect when a player finishes the first upgrade. When this happens, replace all the "Buildings A" with "Buildings B".

There are probably more efficient and easy ways to do this, but this is all I can think of. I didn't test it, but it should work.
I hope this helps.

EDIT: Heh, I think the solution of Daffa the Mage is better than mine... :D
So, a 0 max research level hides the upgrade? I didn't know that (it makes sense, though).

Kind Regards

Level 3
thx for answering!

I tried daffa's way but the second upgrade wont display.

f3hl5y.jpg

i made sure to have added both upgrades to the building
both upgrades had only 1 tier, still it dident work :Z
i tried to change the level to 0 but it switched back to 1.

i made another try with replacing the trigger but i dident
make one that worked properly :< im quite noob.

Kusanagi Kuro

Hosted Project: SC
Level 10
Danyy, remove the trigger - Turn off (this trigger) from the player group loop.
Also, for the second trigger, if u want every players will be able to research that upgrade after 1 player finished Wooden Construction, then keep the trigger like that. Otherwise, only set the max research level of Fortified Walls to 1 for (Owner of Triggerring Unit).

Level 3
I started experimenting when the trigger dident work :p
yea i forgot that the picked player is all players, thx
but my tier 2 upgrade still wont show up :S

Level 3
But i cant use diffrent tiers, the idea is to have two stand alone upgrades.
one is research able and the second upgrade comes visible only when the first have finished.

the reason from the beginning is so i can have more then the limited 12 slots in a building. if it works, i could make like 5 upgrades on same slot. when one is finished, another takes it place and so on.

Level 3
Yes, i could have a building with two buttons just for upgrades, like 5 upgrades spread out on two buttons. Instead of using up all in the entire building just for upgrades, leaving me no room for other things like units etc..

Daffa the mages trigger looks so perfect, but i cant make it work :<
the second upgrade wont show up.

Level 9
Yes, i could have a building with two buttons just for upgrades, like 5 upgrades spread out on two buttons. Instead of using up all in the entire building just for upgrades, leaving me no room for other things like units etc..

Daffa the mages trigger looks so perfect, but i cant make it work :<
the second upgrade wont show up.

The building that is holding all these tech upgrades and units is not full with 11 slots is it? Or does it have more than 11? If so then make sure that upgrade A and upgrade B are have the same visual location, X and Y are both the same.

I'm not sure about setting the upgrade level to 0 i never tried that but I might have another way I can show you when I get off work.

Level 3
The maximum slot in a building is 12 slots, minus rally point and Esc button.
There is no however, a maximum of upgrades you can add to a building, only space :p
Yea, i could make 5 upgrades on same slot and all of them having same X,Y button position, they would look just like a normal tier 1,2,3 reasearch :p

That would be very nice.

Last edited:
Level 3
maybe there is a way to add the effect by trigger?
event - a research has ben completed
condition - research equal to (upgrade) = true
action - add (the effect) to building something.

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.