• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Request: Tool for hand-painting the shadow map

Status
Not open for further replies.
From extracting the map MPQs, I noticed that shadow maps are somewhat textures that you can exchange. As a common practice, I used mpq tools to generate a shadow map image with an altered map to reduce the time calculating and make adjustments to the shadow map where needed.
For example, I flattened alpha tile terrains so that there is no shadow created there in my source map, then imported the picture into the destination map.

I think there is a need for a tool that allows hand-painting of the shadow map, as it seems not to be an ordinary texture file (it's not a blp, from what I remember).

Could someone maybe create a tool that allows to convert the shadow map file into a picture and the reverse?

This way, we could use a huge bitmap file made from the birdseye perspective in the editor of several pieces of the map, then overlay both pictures and hand-paint the shadow map.

Status
Not open for further replies.