• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reputation Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Lock reputation to a user by either spreading to other users or by time given since last reputation given to that user. I personally rarely give reputation. Sometimes it's to the same user twice. In these instances, there are several months that usually go by.

A timeout of 1 week seems appropriate ^_-, but this could still be a bit too short.

Roland

R

Roland

I'm a rep fag, so I literally support colorful balls. I mean gems.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Allow me to quote my humble self about this matter:

No, you were saying that reputation is earned and not given and I disagree. I also disagree with your edit, I've seen enough people here who care a lot about their rep. There are also many who think rep is stupid and should be removed. I dare say the numbers are quite equal, I just think that not all who care about reputation want to say it.
Personally, I don't care about rep too much, I see it as a tool to tell people that you think their post/thread/work whatever was good and when it's used this way - the way it's actually meant to be used - it fulfils its purpose. and is useful.
Look, you can have whatever opinion you want to have about this matter, just like I got mine. However, I have to point out that there's much reputation being given around for nothing. That's why reputation loses its actual meaning and doesn't tell anything about the user or what he provived for the community.

Nothing left to say.

-Support. How's that?
Give me the ability to disable it completely(as in making the orbs invisible, same with the +rep button[making other people unable to rep you] and I wouldn't care 'bout the rest).

I don't really care about reputation much though.
I just find it annoying how before I wanted to rep someone within a 2 month period and getting a message saying I need to spread more.

Edit:
Reputation is kind of a stupid thing though.
With peoples ignorance they could judge someone from their reputation, when they could have gained it from spamming friends and from trash posts.
A lot of productive people that post actual quality resources and logical arguments with other productive people.
Although I did gain a bunch of my reputation from helping in the WEHZ back in 2010/11 and contests mostly, you could also gain the same reputation points from spamming comments in map threads and other resources with positive comments.

I think that without reputation, anyone could simply be judged and motivated to continue posting and being active by join date, posts to say approx' how active you are, rewards and your general presentation by posts and user customization.

So yeh I think it's more of a distraction for false value when you can get the same off of just talking to them and a sort of a popularity contest.

Last edited:
Level 34
I'm against that because you people all take reputation way too seriously.
Why do you care about the small orbs so much?
If you want to say thanks, there's also email, VMs and PMs.
You are absolutely correct, but I like leaving messages for people via rep. It's fast and easy (kinda like fladd). It's somewhat like the difference between texting and emailing.

Roland

R

Roland

Why do we even argue about the shapes of these Virtual reputations that doesn't affect our daily lives here in a Virtual community? All I can say that reputations means nothing but seeking fame and popularity, It doesn't matter if you made something interesting that other people like..

Level 15
Reputation tickles that little part of the brain that makes people feel good. It's the exact same mindset that is encouraged by facebook/instagram likes, re-tweets, etc.

Does it matter? Nope, not at all, hence why I have it disabled. But, it is a useful way of showing appreciation and leaving messages (as Gilles said).

Reputation tickles that little part of the brain that makes people feel good. It's the exact same mindset that is encouraged by facebook/instagram likes, re-tweets, etc.

Does it matter? Nope, not at all, hence why I have it disabled. But, it is a useful way of showing appreciation and leaving messages (as Gilles said).

Tru dat

Level 22
Why do we even argue about the shapes of these Virtual reputations that doesn't affect our daily lives here in a Virtual community? All I can say that reputations means nothing but seeking fame and popularity, It doesn't matter if you made something interesting that other people like..

I don't you tell me

Cubes are better :3

Hi Guys I wanted to suggest something for the reputation system..

I recently made a smaller set for these Reputation Gems instead of gems, I prefer blocks instead.. Like Poké-blocks!. the blocks size are exactly 11x11 Pixels, Anyway, Here you go. I made this to prevent the gem/balls being cramped on the user area..

Here's an example of a cramped reputation gem from a user :p
http://prntscr.com/8sw5tg/direct

c4138872f1284b6702c1e0ca66f728fc_102786.gif
- Negative Reputation
e484eb8c8dd3a79f620d442f2d3f19ed_102783.gif
- Balanced Reputation
cd4a32822f044eae740471d34508c653_102789.gif
- Small Reputation
dd649e22892377b0eab8798379add6d4_102788.gif
- Positive Reputation
4ea1e1796e014e111c6f138c51e43d28_102785.gif
- High Positive Reputation
baf8c2b3aabce12c4a668a955ad027e1_102784.gif
- Higher Positive Reputation
7f87e5fe7212e25c6bf094e1fbbdab31_102790.gif
- Very High Positive Reputation
227118-albums6218-picture102791.gif
- Very, Very High Positive Reputation

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'm against that because you people all take reputation way too seriously.
Why do you care about the small orbs so much?
(...)
There's that thread again.

Welcome back, Nestharus, by the way.

Those cubes look suspiciously similar to the ones WC3C used for their reputation.
I believe they had better ones though (in shape of hexagons), which we also applied here, which we then had to remove because they didn't like us having them. I preferred the hexagons over spheres anytime.

Level 15
There's that thread again.

Welcome back, Nestharus, by the way.

I believe they had better ones though (in shape of hexagons), which we also applied here, which we then had to remove because they didn't like us having them. I preferred the hexagons over spheres anytime.

Yeah, they were the spinning diamond/gem things. I also seem to remember having cake/cupcake icons for rep as well for a very short time.

Roland

R

Roland

Those pastries seems like I'm having diabetes.. Hehe, But I prefer the normal ones :3

Status
Not open for further replies.