• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rep for approved resources/maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or post their shitty work more.
Fair point

No, this is not wc3c. Wc3c requires only the most top quality maps in order to be approved, then you get an award + some small rep. But on hive resource approvals are much more lenient and do not require you to make the best quality resources.

Also, people get enough rep for submitting resources anyways.
I guess you're right...

Level 45
I am always wondering why this is, things like giving rep could, key word: could encourage the quality to increase.

And then the mods would also have to up the quality of accepting things.

I don't see any lose in that scenario.

no. you see, if you put this in the system it will encourage rep whoring, not improvement, people wont seek to improve their resources FOR the community, they will seek rep for THEIR ego :/. Getting your resource approved is a reward as it is, its a privilege, even the fact you have the chance to upload a resource to display at all.

If you do upload a resource and it really DOES have quality then you DO deserve a rep, which is given by the community, it should NEVER EVER be automated as it ill easily be abused.

I mean seriously, if they want to improve, they should follow the mods orders on what to fix and update, they shouldn't be led around with the illusion of an ego treat, just to improve, they should improve because they want to provide a quality product to the community.

Take a look at all my resources? i have lots, imagine if i got rep for all of those, thats just stupid.

And really. You shouldn't REP people just for uploading something to hive, take alook at the poor people who cant contribute through resources hmm? What do they get? they struggle to even get a single rep. You should focus more on those that actually help out through their heart in the forums by giving advice and feedback rather than those who just get "any ol' resources of variable quality approved.

As this is said, there is a poor unbalance with the ratio of artists/resource makers and people that help them and the general community through advice and feedback, you should consider who really needs the uplift of being given rep.

Level 45
Aye, perhaps an award for 3+(for example) director's cut resources, though?

No, you see, ill tell ya :p
If its directors cut...do you really think 3 rep will matter out of the possible mass rep from the community? think about it, quality here=REP REP REP from people. If its directors cut it must of been approved for its quality, hence it would earn more rep from the community for its quality which happens to have promoted it to DC. If its DC it must mean=high/more quality=More rep than non DC.
Get it? :/
You dont need these silly rep awards, the work earns its upkeep itself.

Level 22
Just getting Director's Cut is a great award in itself, because getting it means whatever you uploaded is really great, like REALLY great, and you'll get tons of rep from the community. No need to get rep from the mods.

Level 31
No, you see, ill tell ya :p
If its directors cut...do you really think 3 rep will matter out of the possible mass rep from the community? think about it, quality here=REP REP REP from people. If its directors cut it must of been approved for its quality, hence it would earn more rep from the community for its quality which happens to have promoted it to DC. If its DC it must mean=high/more quality=More rep than non DC.

I think he meant get an award icon, like after winning a contest, if you have 3+ ressources with a Director's Cut rating

Level 22
LOL!
Getting an award icon?
Just having +3 resources with Director's Cut is a great accomplishment in itself, and surely those who care know you have it, thus it's not necessary.

Level 15
if it were low (1 - 3), you will get selfish people uploading crap that they don't plan to improve, or wasn't worth it.

if it were too much (4 - 5), it would turn into chaos and having a high amount of rep wouldn't be the same. and you get the same selfish people not improving.

i'll have to say no to this one, it doesn't encourage anything positive.

Level 13
I agree here with Ralle, getting rep for an approved map is a bit overboard.
Getting it approved by itself is more than enough praise for you map, if it is really succesfull you'll get rep from people whom play/watch your resource.

Level 5
Kimberly said:
no. you see, if you put this in the system it will encourage rep whoring, not improvement, people wont seek to improve their resources FOR the community, they will seek rep for THEIR ego :/. Getting your resource approved is a reward as it is, its a privilege, even the fact you have the chance to upload a resource to display at all.

If you do upload a resource and it really DOES have quality then you DO deserve a rep, which is given by the community, it should NEVER EVER be automated as it ill easily be abused.
I know this is several posts ago, but I wanted to comment on it. Giving rep as an automatic reward for certain accomplishments across a site is a very valid stance to take. It emphasizes how much the site appreciates certain actions, especially if they are actually a challenge to manage.

For the Hive, anyone with a remote sense of anything can get a resource approved. Director's Cut, however, shouldn't be something given out lightly. As a result of that, an automatic 10 reputation for such resources is valid. I've already read your counterargument to this, and that is that:
Kimberly said:
However, it isn't that the rep is supposed to matter numerically, it's that the rep is supposed to matter in principle. It says "This is really good and the site really likes this kind of thing" when you get that rep - the exact counter to getting an infraction or losing rep for doing something malicious. This is good and a healthy thing to have. If the site actively promotes certain behavior/actions with a desirable reward, that behavior/action becomes more desirable for the user to perform.

You don't need a lot of things - like rep in the first place. The fact that rep's there says that it doesn't matter whether it's necessary or not, the site keeps it so that it's fun and promotes proper behavior. In lieu of that, the case made here makes perfect sense.
Ralle said:
I don't feel like implementing the rep system into anything. It gets more than enough attention.
You already have in the contests. This wouldn't require you to do anything, it would just require your mods to do something. The mod that approves a DC resource would just shell out 5 or 10 rep (decided by the staff, but presumably constant) to the resource author when it gets made DC. No systems or implementations or whatever, just staff members doing staff things.

Level 13
I actually disagree on you on that matter, reputation should be handed out by a user of the site, reputation doesn't by default means this site like you, it just means the actual community that uses the site likes your resource(s) and or certain activity(ies), therefor handing out reputation for a map that got approved in my opinion sounds inaccurate mainly cause of the the above standard, you should take in account that reputation on this forum is meant to interpret the amount of praise people give you for your resources or valuable presence on this forum.

Level 45
I know this is several posts ago, but I wanted to comment on it. Giving rep as an automatic reward for certain accomplishments across a site is a very valid stance to take. It emphasizes how much the site appreciates certain actions, especially if they are actually a challenge to manage.

For the Hive, anyone with a remote sense of anything can get a resource approved. Director's Cut, however, shouldn't be something given out lightly. As a result of that, an automatic 10 reputation for such resources is valid. I've already read your counterargument to this, and that is that:

However, it isn't that the rep is supposed to matter numerically, it's that the rep is supposed to matter in principle. It says "This is really good and the site really likes this kind of thing" when you get that rep - the exact counter to getting an infraction or losing rep for doing something malicious. This is good and a healthy thing to have. If the site actively promotes certain behavior/actions with a desirable reward, that behavior/action becomes more desirable for the user to perform.

You don't need a lot of things - like rep in the first place. The fact that rep's there says that it doesn't matter whether it's necessary or not, the site keeps it so that it's fun and promotes proper behavior. In lieu of that, the case made here makes perfect sense.

You already have in the contests. This wouldn't require you to do anything, it would just require your mods to do something. The mod that approves a DC resource would just shell out 5 or 10 rep (decided by the staff, but presumably constant) to the resource author when it gets made DC. No systems or implementations or whatever, just staff members doing staff things.

If its just DC, then..honestly. It wont matter, people shouldn't be awarded rep for it, it will just get lost and is useless among the 100 they get on their profile. I mean, do they really care about that 10 rep out of all they got? No, to them it wont matter one bit. They probably wont even notice.
Second, if you really want to reward people for accomplishments, then, you know? Reward them with an Award icon, but only 1 once in their entire DC history "This user has an approved DC resource". Simple, its distinct and more Honorable than some generic rep that would get lost on a profile after 2 days.

Level 5
Kimberly said:
If its just DC, then..honestly. It wont matter, people shouldn't be awarded rep for it, it will just get lost and is useless among the 100 they get on their profile. I mean, do they really care about that 10 rep out of all they got? No, to them it wont matter one bit. They probably wont even notice.
Second, if you really want to reward people for accomplishments, then, you know? Reward them with an Award icon, but only 1 once in their entire DC history "This user has an approved DC resource". Simple, its distinct and more Honorable than some generic rep that would get lost on a profile after 2 days.
I actually agree with this, but I didn't want to be too aggressive with my last post and so didn't suggest it. I think that an award icon with a tagged on bundle of reputation (since it's healthy and doesn't hurt anyone) would be a stupendous reward and definitely something that should happen.

I actually think that the best way to do it would be to have an award icon that changes with each new DC the user gets. That way there is still visible recognition for each DC the user gets, while it doesn't clutter their profile with potentially several identical icons.
Hemlock said:
I actually disagree on you on that matter, reputation should be handed out by a user of the site, reputation doesn't by default means this site like you, it just means the actual community that uses the site likes your resource(s) and or certain activity(ies), therefor handing out reputation for a map that got approved in my opinion sounds inaccurate mainly cause of the the above standard, you should take in account that reputation on this forum is meant to interpret the amount of praise people give you for your resources or valuable presence on this forum.
So essentially you are arguing against the reputation awarded by contests as well. See, I find that a site reward of reputation for certain accomplishments (DC's and contests) is a very appropriate use of the reputation system. What reputation means, why it's useful, and how it should be dispersed is mostly a matter of opinion, but I can still find no fault in the site partaking of the dispensing of such reputation. It only makes sense when the user has performed some act that furthers the mission of the website honorably. (Performing admirably in a contest or submitting an exquisite resource both fit this description)

Status
Not open for further replies.