• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Reforging Reforged

Would you play through the game using this completed project?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Warcraft 3
Reforging Reforged

Quick Overview [TLDR]

I'm Mark, an experienced game developer, and an avid Blizzard fan. I want to take the existing WC3 reforged campaign and "reshoot" all the in-game cinematics. I want to create a similar feeling to what was shown in the original Culling of Stratholm preview. I realize that the animations won't be as impressive but I still think it's possible to do a much better job just using what limited animations we have. I will be doing a complete rework of the cameras, as well as leveraging unit movements, sound effects, and animations to achieve this. IF I have piqued your interest please read on to see why I think I am qualified to do this, and what exactly I plan to do.

Who am I?

Personal Experience

My name is Mark. I'm a "Professional" Game Developer / Programmer/ Designer from Canada. Professional meaning I have a bachelor's degree in Game Design and I have worked in the industry for 3 years since. I work for a company called PixelNAUTS. During my time here we have worked on many different contract projects for developers like Alientrap, Ubisoft, Compulsion, and others. as well as our own games. We actually have a game called Lost Orbit: Terminal Velocity available on Steam, PS4, XboxOne, and Switch and are hard at work on several new original projects. I am the lead gameplay programmer at PixelNAUTS, however, being part of a small team affords me the freedom to jump around and dabble in many different aspects of development. All of this is to say I have the experience required to tackle the project. You can check me out on LinkedIn if you like.

[hint] Click Links to see stuff

Blizzard Editor Experience

My history with the editor is long but uneventful. I have used Blizzard's editors extensively for years (WC2, SC, WC3, SC2), since warcraft 2 when I was young. I have started many different projects but never released much. The one project I have released is a 15-minute machinima for SC2 that was created entirely in the editor. The project is pretty cringy to me now, I made it back in 2011 when I was a nub to game development. However, I think it will give you a good sense of what I could possibly accomplish with a Reforging of the in-game cinematics. Keep in mind this was made before I had any experience or education in Game Dev. Luckily there won't be any of the cringy voice acting or jokes from StarCrap in the Reforged Reforged Edition, as Blizzard already has all the WC3 dialogue recorded! You can check it out below.

The Project

Concept

The basic idea of WC3 Reforging Reforged is to simply recreate the feeling of Blizzard's Culling of Stratholm trailer, and extend that to every single in-game cinematic for both ROC and TFT. I will be tackling the project IN ORDER, in other words, I will be moving through the game in chronological order, reforging each cinema as I go. The eventual end goal is, of course, to release each campaign as it is completed as a CUSTOM CAMPAIGN. Obviously that fact hinges on Blizzard releasing a custom campaign option for WC3 Reforged. If that never comes to fruition I will look into releasing single maps.

Cameras

I personally think that the single biggest change I can make that will have the largest impact is the camera work. As you can see in Starcrap, injecting life into the scenes doesn't require highly animated models. I plan to rework ALL the in-game cinematic cameras "from the ground up" as Blizzard said they would. Sweeping shots, tighter camera angles on talkers. etc. I won't even really be considering the vanilla camera work in my decisions. I'm talking about doing real cinematics, with many different camera shots. I want to bring as much life and excitement as possible to each and every cinematic through dynamic camera work. You can expect something along the lines of what I did in Starcrap for reference, except with 9 more years of life experience and 7 years of game development experience under my belt.

Sound Effects

I will be using new and existing SFX to liven up the Cinemas where possible. I also want to note than I will be ensuring the effects come from the correct sources (something Blizz seems to have failed to do in Reforged) to make them feel more like they are coming from the appropriate characters. Sounds effects can add a lot to a dead feeling scene, even just to give the impression of action where it's absent. I will also strive to use lore-friendly SFX at all times.

Music

A massive missed opportunity in my view. Starcraft 2 had some great musical stingers and such that really livened up their cinemas. I will be using "new" and existing music where I feel appropriate to bring mood and emotion to each Cinema and scene. I will be using only lore-friendly tracks. Remixes of WC1 and 2 music is a great place to start. I will also use some WOW music, as well as the existing WC3 music. Keep in mind that these music changes will only affect Cinemas, not any gameplay segments.

Animations

What limited animations we already have weren't even used appropriately in my opinion. I realize that not every character can be highly animated or it will look silly, but some light animation additions coupled with all the other changes can work wonders. This will also extend to background characters in each shot where appropriate.

Movement

This is a smaller change, but where appropriate I think that unit movement can work well. Most Moveis and TV shows have characters mobile. Characters step away and look off when thinking, take a step away from a previous speaker when surprised by what they said, etc. Walking and talking is underrated. Not much more to say here. I will use it where and when it seems appropriate.

Effects

This one is also pretty self-explanatory. Some scenes could use some extra effects both in the background and foreground. I will use effects and lighting changes where and when they feel appropriate.

I need your feedback

Please let me know what you guys think. It's clear Blizz never intends to update the cinemas in this way, and I personally think it's one of the biggest, most glaring problems with the Reforged campaign. I will tackle this project solely based on interest from the community, so let me know if this is something you would like to see. I will be picking and reforging a cinematic I want to show off soon, probably the Culling of Stratholm one, to give an example of what the project could look like. So stay tuned for that.

Last edited:
Level 3
Well, people expect the Blizzard to do all of this. Having in mind they rushed the game and released it unfinished I honestly hope the Blizzard will fix all of this by themselves.

They have already stated that they won't be changing the cutscenes AT ALL, they used the excuse that they wanted to "preserve" WC3 as it was. Plus with the poor reception, refunds, and lack of sales due to god awful reviews, the likelihood that they will change their minds and go back to fix this is basically zero.
Well that's cool and a good idea.

BUT, we are still missing the custom campaign feature :goblin_cry:
ya I addressed that in the original post

Level 1
If you do it for classic wc3 I would definitely give it a try. But I will not install reforged on my computer.

Level 12
I know many are hurt by what Blizzard did, and I can understand. It is really hard to lighten up the future of the game in their eyes. But that does not mean it cannot be done !

I really find your idea appealing.
Because you obviously love the game like we all do here, and because you have the skills to live up to your project.
What you did a while back with StarCrap is really good. Not perfect, but you really gave life and dynamics to this story that made it entertaining.
Now I can hardly imagine what you'd come up with by adding these years of knowledge and experience.

I could not ignore something like that even if I tried, so I have to give you my support for the moment, and as for extra ideas or suggestions, maybe keep us updated on the project and then ask the community.

With a glimpse of what you can achieve, I have no doubt people will become very pleased and will drown you with suggestions :)

Hoping to hear more from this !!!

Take care.

Level 12
Maybe for the same reason many talented people here still make maps when they could start working on Unity or Unreal Engine ?

Reactions: pyf
Level 3
If youre a professional game developer, why would you waste time recreating stuff that isnt even yours instead of making actual new content and your own IP?
It makes no sense.

you don't have hobbies outside of your job? lol.. I would do it because I love the game and didn't think anyone else would be willing to make it be as great as it could be, it deserves so much more than what it got. I am not doing it INSTEAD of working on the original IPS, I would have done it in my spare time. if you saw my Linkedin or the Pixelnauts homepage which I linked in the original post you can see my body of work, and what I have upcoming, I am currently working hard to get a closed beta of our new game out.

LinkedIN
PixelNAUTS
PixelNAUTS Team

Lost Orbit
Rocket Rumble

But anyways guys another game dev started doing what I had already planned and he has done a great job so far.. I will not be starting my own project but I will be offering him my services.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.