• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Raising cliff level and repositioning of entire map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I started on cliff level 2 and this turns out to be way too low. I wish I had started on cliff level 4 or 5.
Q1: Is there a way to raise the cliff level of the entire map, without removing anything like doodads or water?
Solution: Use "Adjust Cliff Levels" in the Advanced tab. (Problem: Raised/lowered doodads)

Also, with the upcoming changes to map size, I want to increase the size to the maximum of 480x480. I already did it with SharpCraft, but I want the already existing parts to be in the center of the map with increased size. Right now, it's kinda in the bottom right (see image).
Q2: Can I shift everything a bit up and left, or change the map size so that there's more new terrain on the bottom-right, instead of so much empty space to the top-left?

I remember there being third-party terraining tools. Maybe those can help?
Q3: What were those third-party terraining tools called again and do they still work? Would they help here?

Attachments

• 480x480.png
    480x480.png
    13 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Q1: Is there a way to raise the cliff level of the entire map, without removing anything like doodads or water?
Yes one can add +2 to the cliff height field of every node in the w3e file programmatically. I do not know if there is a WorldEdit way to do this though.
Q2: Can I shift everything a bit up and left, or change the map size so that there's more new terrain on the bottom-right, instead of so much empty space to the top-left?
In WorldEdit (might need 1.29) you can crop the north and west edges and expand the south and west edges.

Level 5
q2, yes. Simply use the arrows when modifying the map size.

When the map is at maximum size, I can't use the expanding arrow to the right, even if I remove parts in the west; or the expanding arrow down, even if use the constraining arrow for the top.

Level 5
I shrunk it to the left and it still doesn't do anything when I try to expand it to the right.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
When the map is at maximum size, I can't use the expanding arrow to the right, even if I remove parts in the west; or the expanding arrow down, even if use the constraining arrow for the top.
Make sure you are modifying the map bounds and not just the map boarder. There is a flag in the lower left of the resize window that controls this.

Level 5
I have both flags checked, but the button where I mouse-over (see image 1) doesn't do anything.

Edit: Added image 2 to show that I can modify boundaries, but just not in the right direction.

Attachments

• 480.png
    480.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 2.png
    2.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Level 5
Does the "Adjust Cliff Levels" option from the Advanced tab not work for Q1?

Yes, that works, thank you.
I totally forgot that you can do that in the Advanced tab. Haven't been mapping in a long time, and I have been mostly using non-Blizzard cliffs for projects besides the current one.

Level 5
Oh, crap. Adjusting cliff levels won't affect raised/lowered doodad heights, so half the doodads are in the ground for me right now.

I guess there isn't a way to filter out all doodads/destructables that have their height modified and raise them by the height of the cliffs adjusted by.

Last edited:
Level 5
Drag select them all from far out and then use the hotkeys to raise them all as appropriate.
But that would raise every doodad/destructible. Those that had modified heights before using "Adjust Cliffs" are in the ground now, while those without modified heights are fine. So, raising everything doesn't actually change anything: I'd still have to raise each individual doodad/destructible again.

I know that I can drag-select to raise the doodads/destructibles, the problem is that I'm trying to avoid the work of differentiating raised/unraised stuff. It's not efficient to shift-select and set the height of thousands of individual doodads each time I might have to adjust cliffs on a map, and it's prone to human error.

Last edited:
Level 5
I looked into modifying the .w3e and .doo files using Ladik's MPQ editor and some hex editor, but I had to do it manually, since I don't know any programming yet.

Was able to speed it up a bit by turning the camera below the ground and selecting the objects from there, at least. Too bad you can't drag-select below ground, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.