• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Cliff Level Terraining question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
When I try to make blizzard cliff greater than 2, a new cliff is automatically created around it such that some sort of pyramid/stair formation is formed. Now the question, how can I prevent that? How can I make a cliff level very high adjacent to a very low tile.

Another question not related to terraining is, what other instant point target ability that doesn't interrupt order do you know? I already know 'Reveal' but I still need another one.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

1. Well, you can only do that using the raise tool. no other way I know of...

2. have u tried editing channel ? :as:

Level 7
When I try to make blizzard cliff greater than 2, a new cliff is automatically created around it such that some sort of pyramid/stair formation is formed. Now the question, how can I prevent that? How can I make a cliff level very high adjacent to a very low tile.

I will only answer the first one and there is no way to prevent that ugly ass pyramid stair thing but if you have misc.txt I believe you can have flat cliffs just using the raise/uniform tool? I forget what its called but it makes everything flat it should make the terrain have sharp lines like a straight cliff I can show you a picture if you need an example.

Level 22
1. Well, you can only do that using the raise tool. no other way I know of...
I know, I should have put in the first question, "without using the raise tool". The problem with the Raise Tool is the Fog of War, units below can still see units above. And there's also pathing, which can be fixed by putting pathing blockers around the tile, but its quite troublesome.

2. have u tried editing channel ? :as:
Editing Channel? What is that?

I will only answer the first one and there is no way to prevent that ugly ass pyramid stair thing but if you have misc.txt I believe you can have flat cliffs just using the raise/uniform tool? I forget what its called but it makes everything flat it should make the terrain have sharp lines like a straight cliff I can show you a picture if you need an example.
I know, I should have put in the first question, "without using the raise tool". The problem with the Raise Tool is the Fog of War, units below can still see units above. And there's also pathing, which can be fixed by putting pathing blockers around the tile, but its quite troublesome.

Level 7

Editing Channel? What is that?

I understand that and channel is a spell that is used by the demon hunter check night elves I believe
kVzOe.png

Level 7
Ahh, i you mean Channel ability. That's not instant. I thought that Channel is still related to the Cliff Level question

well in the quote you asked about it however if you wanted you could create a bigger vision blocker and just put them under your cliffs to give them the illusion and have the same cliff pathing that blizzard may have. But if not ill leave the thread alone and go find other stuff I may be able to help lol.

Level 10
well you can 'fake' the classic wc3 cliff level mechanic (e.g. units can't see up the cliff) using invisible platforms. in OE they have a field to assign a cliff level to them (as far as I tested you can put negative values there but this won't work)

As to how to proceed:
1. you make your terrain with custom cliffs (raise tool) and should try to rather stay on the grid as it then makes the step with the 'faked' cliff mechanics easier and later it looks better ingame.
2. now (let's say you have 3 main height levels in total in your map: lowest ground, a middle height level and the hightest) you creates n-1 new invisible platform doodads (n = number of main height levels, -1 as you don't need yone for the lowest) and then set the 'cliff level' to 1 for the middle height level and 2 for the highest.
3. place the platform with cliff level 1 on every area that belongs to the middle height level (not only the borders e.g. the cliffs) and do so for the platform with cliff level 2 and the hightes height level, too.
4. lower all the invisible platforms used to 'fake' the cliff level deep into the ground, they will still work, but units wont snap onto them and make strange moves.

I hope you can understand this as it's a rather short descripion on how to do this. If you really have problems with this feel free to PM me I might make a small test map.

also I advice you to simply test around with this a bit for yourself

obviously this also works with custom pathing textures so you can create bigger ones

this is also how you can create LoL-bushes really easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.