• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race design contest (theorycraft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I have just got an idea for a contest. perhaps it doesn't fit to official contests, but maybe as a little fun sticky in map development forums and it would serve as an inspiration

you would have to design a race, just think the units, abilities, upgrades, heroes, buildings (whole techtree) etc using models and icons available on wc3 sites and made by blizzard.

prize would be rep or something else, voting would be made by few judges (at least three).

what do you think?

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I like it, but it would be difficult finding enough models that look good together for the same race.

Level 14
Would be cool to do something like this as a group vs group sorta thing. People of various abilities team up to make a race. You could model, skin, icon, create abilities, terrain, and balance all the characters in game to make a unique and awsome race. I think that would just be wishfull thinking though :/

Level 12
It should be people using in-game models first to make the race then whoever finishes their race and gets the most votes gets a dedicated team of modelers to help custom model the race and make it look like the original person had in mind... now who is a dedicated modeller?

Level 14
Well I know I could pick out a bunch of different units and skin them to look similar enough (had I the time and will to do so). I thought modelers might want in on the competition. I was partly proposing that as a posible solution to units not going together that easily enough to make a whole race. But as I said that would just be wishfull thinking.

Perhaps making creep races. Such as quillbores, trolls, tauren, owlhawks, satyr, kabold, etc. Anything that has enough variation to creat similar yet different units. Buildings could be a bit of a problem though.

Level 14
remember, race considers of around 10 buildings, 4 heroes, 3 casters (most often), and many more units
there aren't as many modelers for that. look at modeling competition, only few people participate in it. you might say you don't like scratch models, but in last competition RDZ made a faceless one with a mace, small MDL edits but effective, but still not many people participated...

I think theorycraft contest would be better

Level 13
Are you talking about creating a whole new race? Or expanding on a minor race thats already in warcraft? Personally I think a team contest would be wonderful. The only downside is you would have 1337 modelers/skinners/animators all wanting to be on the same team and everyone else would be screwd. The remedy, however, would be to assign teams after everyone has signed up.
Anyway, if you do decide to make it a team contest. It would be awesome if the people joining stated their strengths. Then you could create a list of participants and create the teams based off everyone's strengths. For example:
Herio-san: Icon Artist
Chriz: Animator
Chaos: Skin Editor
etc.

Level 14
I was thinking about pure theory, designing a race that would synergise well, be original and BALANCED for melee gameplay purposes.

If you want to make team contest, do it outside of my thread, please. Contests like that never work, teammembers are lazy and don't want to waste time on making a lot of art for a dying game. Also, June is very hot month, not only because of the burning sun, but also because of exams for everyone...

by race I meant new race - like daelin did for rothe

Level 18
Making it a contest would be near impossible
The amount of people that would make a "team" to submit a race would be enormous
I would say
Make a contest to make a race, but whatever a person can do they do it
Ex: since I don't model I will skin, and put my skins against the custom models that would coincide with the race that is being focused on

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

And then what? Somebody makes a bunch of spells and abilities for their race using in game models?

And someone else creates a melee terrain based around their race (ie. and underwater naga temple and surrounding area)?

And someone makes icons for a whole custom race?

That would be impossible to judge against each other.

Level 15
There is other important thing to test: the balance. It's "easy" to do a race with powerful units, but if you do a race to fight against other, you must balance them which is a lot of work and very complicated. Only to have reference, the project creep revolution took more than one year in development, and as far as I know most of the time was spent in balancing the race with the standard ones. Other good example is my project Power of Corruption, where I had to do a new race from scratch in order to balance the nagas, it only took me more than a year and I'm not finished yet.

This contest should not be a contest, I propose this like a thread to make brainstorming, and if somebody want to do a custom race based on this, well, go ahead and enjoy the trip.

Level 32
Map Development Mini-Contest

Yeah.

This is an excellent idea although it needs a lot of further development.

Here's how we are going to handle it:
  1. I approve this contest as an official Hive Workshop Mini-Contest.
    Examples: First spells & systems contest Short Story Contest #1

2. I will copy the original post into a new thread in the Map Development forum, rename it, and close it.

3. I hereby appoint:
    • Jacek: Contest host and primary judge;
    • ragingspeedhorn: contest moderator;
    • Myself: contest administrator.
      • None of the above may submit entries to this contest.
      • All of the above must edit the contest post itself until it meets with my approval. The contest will then begin.

4. All users may continue to input ideas in this thread.

5. My own suggestions are:
    • Time limit: 3-4 weeks.
    • Rep awards: 40/25/15
    • Single users only: no teams.
    • No imported content: all game components must be available in Blizzard's war3.mpq/war3x.mpq/war3patch.mpq.
    • The contest hosting team should provide (but not necessarily create) a basic map which all contestants must download to use as a template: no terrain editing will be permitted.
    • No off-topic spam will be tolerated in the contest thread: violators WILL be punished!

The three of us had better get to work to ensure that Map Development Mini-Contest #1 is a success.

Level 14
It would be useful for people who want to make new races for melee or techtrees to base the new races for campaigns on...

yes balance is important, we don't want more coil/novas ;P

I was going to make it a brainstorming thread, but then we have to keep it in formal and tight form (no posts without race descriptions)

Level 6
id join but you would see no new models:sad: only uploaded and blizzard models as i cant make models at all and im still no good at skinning :eek: ive got a pretty good idea for a race tho but ive got to think about buildings and not just units

Level 6
im thinking a rebellion of races which has units from diffenrent races(rougues ect from difenrent races) but im thinking of otheres

Level 6
hmm 3-4 weeks to make a balanced race could be hard but to me it will be pretty easy

Level 3
Hmm...Interesting...

Ok, I'll throw out some ideas here.

I already am developing Blood Elves for a map I'm making, so I'll probably just use them.

Or maybe some different race, I'm not sure...

so everything would need to already be in game?

Status
Not open for further replies.