• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Quick and easy way to merge Geosets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Is there a quick and easy way to merge multiple geosets of a model into one?
As WC3 has problems rendering units with too many geosets (weird edgy shadows) and it can probably also save some kb, I want to merge all geosets with the same texture into one.

Is there a way to do this with MDLVis or Magos? Is there any other easy to use tool out there that doesn't require Gmax or 3dsmax?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I think there is a Geoset Merger tool by Oinkerwinkle. Using that, and the Vertex Editor, you can combine all the geosets in a model, and then cut them up however you please.
I'll try oinkers geoset merger then. If it works, I'll let you guys know. If not, I'll let you guys know aswell. ;)

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I couldn't use oinkerwinkles tools, as they are incompatible to 64 bit windows. It's missing a dll when trying to run it. I'll try matrix eater now

EDIT: MatrixEater actually worked. I had to apply some workaround, though:
I deleted all geosets that I didn't want to merge, saved that as a new file, then went into the original file and deleted all geosets I wanted to merge. Then I imported all geosets from the second file into the first and ... tadaaaa... everything merged into one single geoset.

Nice! Thanks everyone, thread can be closed. :)

Last edited:
A pretty simple way to do it is to import/export the model using NeoDex. It optimizes models automatically on import and on export (it has different optimizations for both options). Oh and turn off "Export smoothgroups" on export, you won't really need it.

Just get GMAX and YAGG. Install, import and export.

Use the version I posted on this thread. It's more stable for optimizing models.

Attachments

• NeoDex 2.65b.zip
    131.9 KB · Views: 79

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
what kind of problems are you facing. GMAX only has one version.

Normaly it's installing problems.
I don't remember what exactly was the problem. I think I got an error message when trying to load certain models, but it might be that the newer iterations of Neodex work; I haven't tried again since that.

I don't remember what exactly was the problem. I think I got an error message when trying to load certain models, but it might be that the newer iterations of Neodex work; I haven't tried again since that.

GMAX support for the importer was added recently. Before it only worked for 3ds max.

Status
Not open for further replies.