1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

"Protect" maps in 1.31.1?

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by lolreported, Jun 16, 2019.

1. lolreported

lolreported

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Previously I've used W3x2Lni v2.4.6 in order to "protect" my maps, but the tool no longer works with maps saved with patch 1.31.1.

I tried to use Default Wc3mapoptimizer 5.0, but I'm not sure if the result is correct. I get the following after loading a protected map, no crash or error message as I'd like to see:
    protectedmapload.PNG

I've tried multiple combinations of settings and the result is the same, most recently:
    mapoptimizer.PNG

I use the War3x.mpq from the 1.29.2 game files. I'm aware bugs and issues might get introduced when protecting a map with software intended for older patches, but I don't know of any other solution at the moment.

How do you protect your maps? Suggestions are welcome, thanks.

2. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I don't, it's a doucebag move that prevents learning.

3. lolreported

lolreported

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    My entire map is built around a competetive highscore players challenge eachother for; having players easily modify the map will ruin this entire experience.

Thank you for your opinion, but it's off-topic and not helpful in this thread at all.

4. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Your map is most likely safe, "remove editor-only files" removes trigger data at very least.

5. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  6. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh hell no dude.
    Map encryption is the one thing that has saved custom games.
    To this day people still play an edited version of my map Prisonbreak that take all the credit for my work.
    Theres no absolutely no reason to make high quality maps if we don't have a map encryption tool.
    The whole gaming industry would look different if we didn't have map encryption in WC3, thats how big it is.
    DOTA, LOL, all these games wouldn't even be a thing.

I use an old backup of the 1.30 editor.
    To protect maps i use Vexorian Optimizer with an MPQ from 1.29.
    I enable all checkmarks except everything under "Script Optimization" and "Clean SLK".
    Then i account for 1.31 changes when the map is adapted to Bnet such as Necromancer rework.
    I copypaste those abilities as they still show as 1.30 in the editor, then i give the Necromancer those new abilities.
    If you have any triggers that affect Attack Index Modifiers you have to turn those into jass or custom scripts from 1 to 0, since they changed that recently.

This whole process is so fucking dumb really, but it's the shit you have to deal with because of Blizzards incompetence..

7. lolreported

lolreported

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I'd asume so as well and I doubt anyone would sit and wait for billions of regions to load anyway.

Thanks! I'll have another look at it tomorrow following these steps and one could only hope Blizzard add a way to protect the maps sooner or later.

8. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So? you think protecting a map will change anything?
    That's like expecting a bulletproof vest to protect you against nukes.

If I want to access your map, I'll do so and there is nothing you can do to stop it. You can make it more annoying for me, yes.
    But as long as the game can read the files, so can I.

So ultimately you just fuck people who want to learn, I have learned a lot from looking at existing maps and I would never support those that do the opposite because god knows the modding community would be far worse if everything was protected. Also, it seems that a lot of people who protect maps have ego problems, thinking a map is sooooo special that they desperately want to keep its contents exclusive. Unless you're the maker of DotA I do not approve.

Not that anyone cares that I approve, but still.

9. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You may take your time to deploy your systems online if you want people to learn. They as well can ask for it themselves. 99.999% of cases of map deprotection is about inserting cheat packs. Stop fooling yourself.
    And for new maps which has no site page (as a trusted source) protection is SOMEHOW the only viable option until it's get bigger. IF it get bigger.

10. BizzaroFukuro

BizzaroFukuro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's all about statistics. The percentage of people who will go through that, is smaller and smaller, depending on how sophisticated protection is.

So it's okay if it's DotA? Exception?

11. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well he's never made released a map so i doubt he understands the consequences of leaving a map unprotected.
    The learning argument is just dumb, theres plenty of templates to learn from, blizzard scenarios, tutorials and the likes.
    It goes back to the lovely proverb "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink".

My maps are special and i have a big ego, so i don't want anyone to learn.

This shit goes way deeper.
    Wc3edit.net is a whole community site dedicated to deprotecting maps and inserting cheat codes.
    I'm pretty sure i've played hacked versions of Parasite 2 back in the day.

Not really no.
    If you protect a map and deprotect it, all the data is scrambled and reassembling it takes a lot more work than anyone is willing to put up with.
    I've tried.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  12. Jaccouille

Jaccouille

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    You can still inject cheatpack in protected map, can't you? I've seen tons of different cheatpack injected into Footmen vs Grunts maps, most of them come from korean website.

13. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah it's easy to deprotect a map and insert cheat codes, what's difficult is adding original content.

14. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Err, no?

Let's say I spot a talent system. Not only are there multiple different ways to achieve it, it can also be done in different languages. So even if I can find a talent system guide, for learning purposes I want to see multiple ones to weigh pros and cons before I make my own.

Specifically, Svenskerman made a map a few years back called Satyr vs Draenei. It had an effect between talent icons, and I was curious if he had made a system for it or hardcoded it. So it was not even about the system itself, but rather about a specific detail about the system so an average guide would not help me.

So your "learn it somewhere else" argument is not perfect, it does not work all the time. Far from it actually. Especially if everyone is super secret about everything and doesn't share knowledge.

And even if you scramble your data, it does not really help. Because I just need to add cheats on top of what exists. Most of the time I do not need to use existing stuff, and even if I do, as long as I know JASS I can do it anyway, it is just a matter of convenience. Once again you are only fucking other people over.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2019
  15. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The worst part is the protection is used against yourself, you do a map, protect it and then host it. Imagine a month later you want to fix something in the map and then, you see by yourself, that you were not smart enough to keep the unprotected version so you could edit it. So basically here you're fucked.
    Or...
    You leave wc3 for good and leave your maps protected and in need to fix bugs, you were dumb enough to leave them protected and no one else could fix the bug since they were not exactly that knowledgeable about the editor. And then they have to suffer for the eternity, just because of you and your "special maps" mentality.
    No one's map is special, get over it.

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Contradict yourself much?
    If no map is special, who cares if it's "lost". Most maps are just copies of others anyway.
    I don't wish any of your stuff be abused all over the internet with your knowledge not being able to do anything about it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  17. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    One made to prevent other douche-bag moves such as stealing or adding cheats to your maps. I agree it's a shame, but I can hardly pin the blame on those who protect maps.

Out of curiosity, is @Vexorian planning to update his tool?

18. Wrda

Wrda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    A map might not be special in terms of uniqueness and people care about them, because they're fun. No map has a higher value than another one (it obviously will if it is more well-made), thus not special. Some maps are rip-offs, yes, but there might be 10 maps with the same idea and either heavily inspired on the same one and all of them have different approaches and different features. That doesn't mean all those maps are copies. Most important aspect is if they are fun to play or not, no cares if they're copies.

19. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You say map deprotection is easy, but you can't make use of systems from protected maps?
    In that case whats the problem with mapmakers protecting their maps?
    I don't understand where your entitlement comes from.

By this logic game developers shouldn't add anti-theft measures against pirates.
    God forbid if somebody wants to protect their intellectual property.

Is this some super secret site to you? You can ask anyone here and most would be willing to share their information.

... just keep a backup lol.

Vexorian was last seen: Mar 6, 2012
    It's best if we just press Blizzard for a way to encrypt maps in Reforged.
    If they don't i don't see how Reforged's mapmaking community will last long term.

20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Scrap Reforged, what about classic Warcraft III (I don't mean just RoC)?