• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map protection...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
I just had a thought. If you make an essential trigger for your map in vJass, wouldn't that be like protecting your map? Think about it, most people who deprotect maps or try to hack them are bnet noobs and don't know what NewGen is, right? And therefore if they open your map with that trigger in normal editor, make their hack modification, save it in normal editor, it won't work when they play it, correct? They won't even be able to save it in fact! Or if they delete the trigger (preferably the saveload trigger or whatever, if it's an RPG), they won't be able to save their game...

So this + protection = ultimate map safety.

Level 12
I had the impression they used programs to protect maps and edit files so they cant be opened

Level 12
I still don't see a reason to protect my maps as long as they are uploaded to a trustworthy site.

trustoworthy site has nothing to do with it not being ripped or something, if its up for download, anyone can download it.

What I usually do is save the map in a seperate file, convert my triggers to Jass if they're not already and voila, problem solved. Most people on BNet don't even have a clue what Jass is. The most they can do is change the loading screen and title of the map. They're just making themselves look retarded if they do that though.

Edit:
And object editor :p

Level 7
I still don't see a reason to protect my maps as long as they are uploaded to a trustworthy site.

Just found out one of my maps has been badly edited, and credit stolen by some noob who then had the nerve to "protect" it.
I know this site dosnt allow it but I fully understand why people protect their maps, if someone trys a bad edit of your map first theyre going to asume the maps crap and not play it again so you loose fans/players.

Level 8
If your map is crap, then most likely noobs can get away with editing it.

But if your map is good, then they probably can't.

Of course, then you have the problem of the map deprotecters who add cheatpacks to map. Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do to stop them, short of running checksums throughout the entire map or something.

Level 17
I just had a thought. If you make an essential trigger for your map in vJass, wouldn't that be like protecting your map? Think about it, most people who deprotect maps or try to hack them are bnet noobs and don't know what NewGen is, right? And therefore if they open your map with that trigger in normal editor, make their hack modification, save it in normal editor, it won't work when they play it, correct? They won't even be able to save it in fact! Or if they delete the trigger (preferably the saveload trigger or whatever, if it's an RPG), they won't be able to save their game...

So this + protection = ultimate map safety.
No, because most deprotectors don't restore the maps code, the entire wc3map.j file is saved as a disabled trigger.

Level 4
That is a smart idea...
yes it is annoying that they can add cheatpacks to your map... although one option is if you download Dark Invasion II, you'll see that they can't really do anything to it... theres heavy protection, multiboards to buy items, for xp, for lvl, for like EVERYTHING. So that would be another option to avoid those cheatpacks.

Level 36
Ignoring the necropost, if you have ever tried to deprotect dota, well you will find that there are no units on the map, no units or items or abilities or anything in the object editor, and all of the triggers (which would be turned into one whole jass trigger anyways) look like this:

call I0120034(IAJ24349, IE23012, function I11012)

Now that's some hardcore protection right there...

Level 7
No shit, because they want to keep their near-monopoly running.

Ok, I realy don't see it as a monopoly, theres nothing stopping other people making DOTA style maps. If they didnt go to extreme lengths to protect it then we'll just end up with loads of "new" versions of Dota with lame secret codes and other imbalances like that.

And to the OP, you should respect a persons right to protect their map not try and find ways around it, if they've protected it, it means they DON'T want it edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.