• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Does anyone know how DotA protects Map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I have deprotected many maps before just to see how some things work and whatnot triggers are never shown but i can most often tell how things work from just seeing ability data sometimes. Anyway all maps i deprotect i can still see at the very least unit and ability data. on DotA Allstars i cant see anything.. there is no custom data in that map what so ever. What is DotA using the protect the map in such a way???

I know its not 4.9wc3mapoptimizer because that is what i use and i have deprotected my own maps before just to see.

Anyone that honestly knows of the program or method DotA uses please explain :)

Thanks in advance

{EDIT}
Im not gonna try and unlock and steal DotA lol im just very curious how DotA protects it some other way than anyone else i've seen..

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Well DotA is a protected map, and for the reason that many map makers simply copy a map and put their names under it.. Which is unfair imo.
If you do wish to learn from this, i highly suggest you talk to some makers of Dota!
no-one can really help you with this

{EDIT}
And using a map optimizer should get your maps hooked up too!
Simply select the option 'Remove as much WE only data as possible' to make it impossible to enter the map.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder who came up with the term "protected", because all what happens is that the map is being damaged until it can no longer be opened in the World Editor. So the correct term for "deprotecting" would be repairing.

Anyway to answer your question, I believe I heard that DotA uses imported .slk files in which all object data including customs are located inside. Therefore they aren't displayed in the object editor.

Level 22
Yes, deprotection is not an allowed topic on this forum, however, I can tell you DotA uses a lot of imported .slk files and stuff making it really hard to locate the script once you've managed to deprotect it.

Level 25
I really doubt that IceFrog has shared with you something like this.
Would be good if IceFrog shared his stuff though...
But I understand him, if I had put so much time into a "mod",
then I would've kept it to myself as well. But still, he could help the communities ;)

And that might even help us in SC2? Or will it...?
What language will we use in SC2, not JASS, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.