• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Most Desired Map Type/Genre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
What would you say is the most desired map type or genre on Battle.net right now? I know DotA is popular, but I think DotA is awful, and I know many people who agree. I want to design maps specifically for that group of people.

So, that said, what kind of maps do you want to see more of? I know Tower Defenses are popular, and I personally love them, and intend to make one, but I want to take on something else first.

Any opinions?

Level 10
I personally like:

Wilderness Survival maps
Dungeon-crawls
Castle Defenses
and Mauls (Not TDs, mauls)

And I'm actually not sure if this would go here or not... cant think of a better place for it, but it seems off... /shrug.

EDIT: Welcome to the Hive too.

Level 1
Hmm, thanks for the input, guys. I'm still toying with different concepts in my head right now, all of various genres, and some even attempting to tread on new ground. We'll see how this brainstorming process goes.

I might as well keep updated on what I'm doing after I make a final decision, though I'm sure you don't necessarily care.

Thanks for the welcome. Strangely, I've had an account here for a while, but never used it.

Level 1
I've actually decided on a sort of hybrid. I'll draw up a comprehensive post with all of the information later. I think, to stay sane, I'm going to work on two maps at once; the tower defense I've wanted to make, and the "epic" I've begun working on. After finishing only a small portion of terrain, I know that there is a lot of work to be done, and I need a smaller project to stay sane.

Level 1
TDs and RPGs are my all-time favorites! There are some other maps I love, but nothing can beat TDs and RPGs! TD. RPG. TD. RPG. TD. RPG. TD. RPG. 'Nuff said. :)

Level 26
Wilderness survival is surprisingly fun. LoaP was fun.. at first. It gets old fast unless you always want to marry whoever chooses a girl, then cyber with her nonstop and annoy people who are actually mature.

Level 8
Certainly not aos games. I'm tired of them.

In fact, I'm bored of all the genres found on Warcraft 3.

I want a new genre... When I mean by new genre, I don't mean that you should combine two genres together.

I'm talking about a genre that is completely original. Hell, I don't even know if that is possible.

Level 7
Heh, no COMPLETELY new genres will come out, unfortunately. But there are some genres which seem to be a nice idea, but execution was bad in all maps of that genre- for example, hero arenas. They all suck- from Herocraft, through Angel Arena to Custom Hero Arena. Terminus Arena is bad too. You won't convince me that any one of them is good. Only Orc Gladiators are nice, but loads of idiots host the hacked versions. BALDURAS IS THE REAL MAKER GOD DAMN IT !!!!

But I told you, SantaBla, about an arena which is being made and which has an idea in it, which won't be just continuous slaughter between heroes with breaks for creeping. Just wait for it XD

Level 8
Now that you mentioned it! I almost forgot about those. We don't see that kind of stuff hosted on bnet... The only altered melee that was really being hosted for some time on bnet was Warcraft 4... But the balance was crap and the tooltips contained way too many grammatical errors.

I can tell you what to not make :
-AOS because there is though competitor and too many of them.
-TAG because it's a boring concept fully exploited
-MAZE it's simply not fun.And the genre has been fully exploited too.
-TD there is alrdy a lot of them and some of them are really good like element td (but my favorite is stackerz td) so nobody need a new TD.

And what would be really cool :
-Altered melee but not with just modified present race like a fifth hero and 2 new unit added.A real one with totally new race,new balance,new gameplay(you're not forced to keep in the war3 template:3 tiers,4 heroe etc...).I must feel as if i was playing a new RTS that i've recently bought.

-RPG with captivating storyline.It does not necessarly hardcoded inventory,spells,class etc...And above all with charismatic character that have their own personalities.I'm tired of this dull souless character that you create and is supposed to represent the players.And fully team work.You cannot progress lonley without your mates because you are lv50 and they are lv1.Thats what happens in the most ORPG everybody goes on their side and you feel as if you were playing singleplayer.

Or something completly new that come out of your mind.

Level 8
Ever since the save/load games came out, we didn't see anymore good online RPGS. I think Waugriff was the first map to have that feature...

Level 26
I'm a fan of games like Dark Deeds 6, Parasite, and Zerg Infestation. I sometimes play a TD or a tag, but they are so very boring. I RP whenever I can.

I'd usually make RPs with unique themes, and then these idiots come along and say "can u host no theme?????" and if i say no, they all leave... assholes... they make excuses as to why no theme is better, like "u can b anything!" and i'm like "bitch, no you cant! you can only be shit like a knight or a wandering blood mage. it's bullshit." and they're like "you just lack imagination and need themes to make up for it." and i'm like "omgwtf kind of hypocrisy is that? you probably just need no theme so you can do the same story you do every rp game"...

But anyhow, i like RPs, riddle games, parasite, zerg infestation, dark deeds 6, and the occasional minigame or td*

*These are usually the only things on the game lists besides DotA, so it's not so much occasional as it is all the fucking time.

Level 12
AoS is the most played one, as we can all agree on
TDs and Mauls are also popular, but used to be even more popular("cough" wintermaul "cough")
Elimination Tournament is one of the few very, very funny maps (of its kind) that i've seen nothing like it

Level 3
AoS is the most played one, as we can all agree on
TDs and Mauls are also popular, but used to be even more popular("cough" wintermaul "cough")
Elimination Tournament is one of the few very, very funny maps (of its kind) that i've seen nothing like it
Yup, AOS is definitely the most popular, I find it....just average when playing it most of the time. I don't know why I never really got into AoS a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.