• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Projectile/Missile system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Projectile/Missile system? [Solved]

I've looked through the hive's resources thoroughly but regardless of how hard I look I can't find a projectile system. Everything seems to be a on target spell like Storm Bolt, but I'm looking for a system that allows you to create shockwave like spells. Preferably easily configurable with the option to toggle if it is destroyed after colliding with an enemy or if it keeps going even after colliding until it hits the targeted point.

Does anyone know where a GUI resource like this is? If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be incredibly grateful!

Edit: I was able to discover Wietlol's missile system; if anyone else is looking for a missile system, I recommend his: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...57/?prev=search=projectile&r=20&d=list&page=5 or simply looking for the most recent version on page two of this thread.

Last edited:
Level 7
Sorry for the delay in my responses, I've been a bit busy with work but I've finally found the time to check the responses. Thank you both, I appreciate the help.

KB3D is awesome and works with vanilla WE. Otherwise, for a full GUI solution, use http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...%2C%20missile&t=65&c=114&d=list&r=20&status=a

Yeah -- I actually use the http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...%2C%20missile&t=65&c=114&d=list&r=20&status=a system, but it doesn't work too well for 'skillshot' abilities (unless I'm missing a component of the system, it doesn't allow you to make a point-target slowly moving projectile that damages and/or active a trigger upon passing, it's just for spells like Storm Bolt) that isn't to say it's a bad system -- in-fact, I rather like it and I'm currently already using it in my map... It's just, not what I'm looking for.

As for KB3D, I was planning on looking for a Knockback system anyway. Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Edit: Alright, so how would I attach a triggered effect to a 'skillshot' styled ability created using KB3D, I don't see a variable for it.

Level 7

The first one you linked won't work. It's VJASS with no support for GUI users.

The second one is rejected from the spells categories due to errors in code.

Third and Fourth are for targeted spells, I don't believe they support the shockwave-esque type spell I'm trying to create, unless I'm overlooking something.

The fifth one is a system that I haven't tried yet; I'll give it a shot and see if it suits my purposes.

Thank you for the links.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Every system can be used in GUI if you know what you're doing, needless to say not everyone does.

Do not judge a system by it's rating. There are MANY wonderful systems that are MUI and work fine but are not approved because the mods are (annoying) perfectionists. The author would not upload a system that wasn't working at all, even if it is inefficient.

They can be used for target locations.

Level 7
Every system can be used in GUI if you know what you're doing, needless to say not everyone does.

Do not judge a system by it's rating. There are MANY wonderful systems that are MUI and work fine but are not approved because the mods are (annoying) perfectionists. The author would not upload a system that wasn't working at all, even if it is inefficient.

They can be used for target locations.

Yeah, simple AoE spells. Like Rain of Fire -- but that's not what I need. I need a system that can mimic Shockwave, Impale, Carrion Swarm, ect ect. Despite those two systems being absolutely fantastic, they don't support that -- as far as I'm aware.

Though; I'll take the fact I shouldn't judge by rating into consideration. Anyway, I haven't got around to testing out the fifth system just yet but judging by the sounds of the download page -- it very well might suit me just fine. I'll check it out tomorrow and post my results.

Level 7
The fifth system is EXACTLY what I needed. It's PERFECT, in-fact. I'm glad that I decided to give it a whirl, thank you Chaosy for giving me the link -- I'll be using it. I already gave you rep for helping, but I'd give you rep again if I could.

Shame on me that it is not up to date in the spell section.
Current version of mine is 3.1.2a

Could I see the newest version? I'm definitely interested to see it. Also -- didn't you help devise an ability for me before? Your name is familiar for some reason.

Level 24
-_- I guess I have to make a proper release again.
Damn you Chaosy!!!
:ogre_rage:

I have checked your latest posts but the only thread I was subscribed to is this one and the one of Bribe's damage detection system.
My name could have kinda been dropped there even without me though :D

I will try to make a proper release this evening... if I get the chance.

Level 24
The problem of most spells is that it is still one spell.
What people do when they make a spell is to create all logic and all actions and all checks in completely unreadable code and give you a configuration that allows you to set speed, damage, size, etc... however it is still a single spell.

I would technically have to copy the triggers for another spell that would practically be the same... except that it may not hit flying units (earthquake like spell).
Then I have to come here (because I can't make it myself otherwise I wouldn't use your spell at all) and ask someone to make it for me.

It is kind of annoying that almost none of the spells is written in such a proper structure to be able to be used for multiple things... but I guess that is what makes it a spell.

A system on the other hand, lets take mine for example, (because I know how it works) simply allows you to set some variables and call a function to create a missile.
Then you are able to set the data of such a missile like speed, size, target, etc so it will fly properly.
Each missile also has a unique id, very similar to a unit indexer but with one exception that you can have multiple missiles on one unit (sounds odd and it is).
In another trigger, you use an event which runs when a missile has hit it's target.
Then you will check if the target has to be hit.
Then you can apply damage that you stored in an array under the id of the missile.
However, what you do in the collision trigger is completely up to you.
Otherwise, I had to make a total of calculated 23040 variables which all had to be set when you created the missile. (And this wouldn't even allow you to also take customized unit classifications into account.)

I think you can imagine why I kind of dislike the idea of a spell in these matters.

Apart from that your spell may be approved and work flawlessly, you can't point out a spell that cannot be made by simple implementations of proper systems.

Level 19
You are right in this case, a spell is a spell but it may be what he was looking for because it doesn't have unit target and can be cast anywhere and it is some kind of a missile.

I tried to write the code as clear as possible, but I'm not very pro at GUI in war3. It has leaks and it may not be as efficient as it could be.

And you are right you can't change much in my spell except speed, damage type, damage and the model of the meteor. But it is all I can come up with right now, it cannot be compared to your missile system, it is so much more complicated and offers a lot more to the people using it.

Level 24
Well... this should be all.
However I was mistaken about the version :D
It was another system of mine which I worked on for quite a lot of time that is in 3. state.
And I am amazed how far my uploaded missile system was :D

Only little changes to how the background works but there are some changes in how to create and use the missiles.

In any case, you can see it for yourself now:
(I may have missed something though.)

Attachments

• Custom Missile System 1.3.2.w3x
    77.9 KB · Views: 102
Level 7
Well... this should be all.
However I was mistaken about the version :D
It was another system of mine which I worked on for quite a lot of time that is in 3. state.
And I am amazed how far my uploaded missile system was :D

Only little changes to how the background works but there are some changes in how to create and use the missiles.

In any case, you can see it for yourself now:
(I may have missed something though.)

Awesome. I've went ahead and marked this thread as solved; I'm just going to use your system -- it's easily the best and most versatile I've found thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.