• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Project: "Broodcraft - Metamorphoses"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
You know, whether or not I actually finish this, I think I want to share a few previews.

Unlike many other projects I want this one to be fairly compact, ideally just a short campaign without a big convoluted story, trying out a few city- and army building mechanics.

b3d7c729a15e534e71ce16c0104ce3028a3f6c64.jpg

64430cf2e62d356f4326ae1c1a1dfff2398de3a7.png

cfc84fc3252a9b3bf0fb671310c178fbbb7defd3.jpg
7257e3a6ea13ab34ed9bd0a9070249f9a7381020.jpg

85978339f8e05dad692a2208f47919aaef0e11a6.jpg

Level 21
Dude, what the hell are those models?!

They look extraordinarily outlandish, cen't even tell what they are, sci-fi bugs and murlocs?
Well you got my interest, what's this all about?

Level 8
Wow, those models are crazy, and I mean that in a good way. I really look forward to seeing more info and screenshots as progress continues. Keep up the great work! It looks amazing so far.

Level 13
Dude, what the hell are those models?!

They look extraordinarily outlandish, cen't even tell what they are, sci-fi bugs and murlocs?
Well you got my interest, what's this all about?

welp, for the setting, it's simply nations ("Broods") of mutant bug-faced people in a "rebuilding-after-the-apocalypse" type world, building cities and making war XD

mutant bug-faced people because that was the most fun for me to make, and it also ties into the mechanics, because you can "mutate" one unit type into another.

Very much work in progress, but if I'm lucky I might have the first shareable test maps in a month or two.

Some more previews:

upload_2020-4-3_14-16-13.png

The Train Station, basically your town hall -type unit, new workers (Diggers) arrive by train. Also builds Transport Pods that can be loaded with units and "teleported" between all train stations you control, no matter how far apart.

upload_2020-4-3_14-18-3.png

Instead of goldmines, you have "Control Points", which are "entangled" by your Train Station. Depending on how well you take care of your Control Point, it can grow into a city, which you can also make your Capital (pictured here: "Meadow Brood" -capital).

upload_2020-4-3_14-19-40.png

Units upgrade (mutate) like so (above: Meadow Brood). Inspired by the good old 'Battle Realms'. Multiple units can be "loaded" into a structure and upgraded simultaneously.

Needless to say, a very "trigger-heavy" mod. Works pretty smoothly so far, but will have to keep track of all the connections and prevent leaking.

Level 13
^that looks so outlandish, reminds me a bit of oddworld abe's oddysee
yeah, I think it's safe to say Oddworld was a huge inspiration.

I think the whole idea for this started waaay back, long before I even started making my own maps at all, when I first watched Letsplays of Abe's Oddysee on Youtube.

Other influences include, which might be appealing or a warning depending on your mileage:
Battalion Wars, Rise of Legends, Battle Realms, Bogleech's Mortasheen, Digimon Adventure XD

Level 22
Looks awesome!

Bonus: crappy gif (if it works) XD

66c6aaeabcee857132b77e83fcd990750fb8d444.gifv

"Farmland" is a unit that takes so much space it can only be placed at certain points on the map (stragetic land to conquer!) but produce ridiculous amounts of food.

The water drain system looks so cool, and I like that you want players to fight over strategic lands for control points and farmlands...

And I like those models, keep up the good work. I hope to play it soon! :)

Level 13
This really isn't up my alley, but I gotta say those models are impressively interesting. Very unique. Very @Retera : )

Also wow whatta namedrop. You read his Awful Hospital comic?

big fan since like 2009 ^^

though as for Awful Hospital like all webcomics I sometimes don't get around to reading up on the progress for weeks

Still cautiously hyped for the Mortasheen game, hope it gets finished one day...

Level 13
First map is ready! though for my demo I think I'd want to finish at least the first 3 levels.

ALSO changing the thread name to try out possible titles for the whole project.

small design question: I love using weird easter eggs/cameos like this for my props, especially in an inherently cluttered environment like this, but is that just too confusing? I have fun with the level design, anyway.

(Not sure this is the sort of thing I would need to contact, in this case, Hollenthon for, with copyright issues... on side note, I know absolutely nothing about the band, except seeing that motive on merchandise of theirs, many years ago)

88d6c6cf23f2e54406c54d1e666086475290c8f0.jpg

Last edited:
Level 13
Nice work.
Some game name suggestions:
* Broodworld
* Broodcraft
* Retrocraft
* Biocraft
* Bonkworld
* World of Brood (WoB)
* Planetbrood
* Planet of Brood (WoB)
* Brain Breed
* Outworld
* Rise of Exoplanet
* Twistopia

:wthumbsup:
No wrong answers, and thanks for the input

seriously I was considering "My Little Brood" at some point before I realized that might be a biiiit too weird :p

The worst part is, "Broodcraft" actually feels really tempting right now, especially since it involves nation-building ("crafting"), and "broods" are basically stand-ins for something like human nation-states.

Bonkworld is really tempting too, though (who loves a bit o' bonking?)

Level 13
Oh yeah and fair warning I am doing custom loading screens

I'll try to find out where to find the HD Loading screen mdx but for the demo there's a high chance you get this sort of quality:

5282cba6ab3fca181488f03884ca451c07caec39.jpg

and also thanks @Ether I am going with Broodcraft as the new working title

Level 13
Very nice loading screen. :) How's the project?
I actually managed to get a crisp HD one working now!!

As for the project, taking a bit longer than expected, because importing the maps into custom campaigns was much more difficult than I thought (lost several days that way). Also started to work a bit more on fixing leaking, which messed up some of the triggers so they had to be redone :p .

Also the transition from single map to campaign somehow instantly made the prologue level way too difficult for some reason, so I have to reduce the difficulty somehow.

Anyway yeah, a bit of frustration, but it keeps going!

Level 11
Woah these models look so cool, I don't remember seeing them before, I hope after you finish this project you could release these models!

Level 13
Progress has been a bit slow these last few days, but I think I might finally be able to move on to the second map.

Oh yeah, and since I am easily distracted, some gratuitous "world-building", I couldn't help myself. Symbols and names are more or less placeholders, I might be able to do better (probably not).

Though I wonder if I could find a productive use for this region map, perhaps as a sort of link between campaigns, a special minigame map where you fight with nukes, long-range planes and ships instead of regular troops, or even a genuine playing map for multiplayer; I dunno.

94135dc086b4a5ff46c807ec9111cff55464aaed.jpg

Garden/Meadow Brood
Motto: "Beauty And Science Are The Treasures Of This World"
-> Meaning: If you are more powerful than us, we are offended and will be very passive-aggressive about it every time we meet.

Crypt Brood
Motto: "This Is How It Is Done"
-> Meaning: We think your way of doing things is wrong and weird and it confuses us.

Swamp Brood
Motto: "We Will Endure"
-> Meaning: Our country is dangerous, barren and dummy cold... and you're not helping, either.

Junkyard Brood
Motto: "Seize The Day"
-> Meaning: We say, do and take whatever we want; we don't think there will ever be consequences.

Pond Brood
Motto: "Ours Is a Ship That Will Never Sink"
-> Meaning: See that ocean? We want you on the OTHER side of it. We might come visit, though.

Last edited:
Level 14
Very nice art and world. Keep it up, I support this cute looking mod.

Might drop some ideas of type of broods:

1. Glacierbrood or Frostbrood - They have ice, sparky, storm, crystal, stalagmites and stalactites features. They occupy the Northern Icelands called "Crystal City Over the Lakes" or simply "Flotsam City".

2. Primalbroods or the First Broods - They are the ancestral versions of the broods. They have animal features, tusks, fangs, claws, tribal ornaments like necklaces and head-dresses, augmented with machines and weapons. They are strictly and violently territorial. Most of the other brood species are afraid since these types of broods are somewhat lager. Can be non-playable faction since this might go OP. They are ruled by tribe chieftains.
TRIVIA
* They are believed the first evolution phase of the broods.
* Their technology is somewhat magical with some futuristic tribal upgrades.
* They can summon a forbidden half-mechanical and broodlord called "The Ancient Grub", a large stout worm with mechanical weapons.

3. Skullbroods - These broods live in sandy places, hot canyons and valleys. They build large mecha-concrete pyramids and ziggurats as homage. Highly intelligent and advanced like their distant brood cousins. They rule by gangs and these gangs keep on war with each other. They love to ransack and raid desert travellers and invade sometimes start a skirmish with other broods mostly with the junkbroods.
TRIVIA:
* Skullbroods wear skull masks and sometimes without mask at all but with skull and bone body tattoos to show dominance.
* They are somewhat inspired with futuristic Egyptian-Arabian themes with Mad Max blend.
* They have the most large oil production since their desert lands have large oil deposits.
* They love mecha-racing and fighting for entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.