• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Preloading abilites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello, I've read that you need to add ability to a dummy unit to preload it, isn't there a easier way? I mean since you can choose a path to preload couldn't you just load an entire folder of the custom stuff, or maybe there isn't one? It's a ton of work to do it the other way, I have so many custom things.. Please tell me this is possible

I mean since you can choose a path to preload couldn't you just load an entire folder of the custom stuff
To my knowledge this should work fine. Just try it then you will find out. If you have a lot of stuff to preload you will have a huge lag spike, that way you know if it works or not :)

Level 39
Preloading an ability is different than preloading a model/texture asset. Abilities must be done through adding it to a unit (Tasyen provided some resources for automating this if you really don’t want to) and other resources can use the Preload() native. Both will require you to type out some code.

Level 12
If you only used custom abilities on your map, with custom I mean you didn't edit and use already existing storm bolt but created a new ability based on storm bolt and used that one, they probably have similar id in the editor starting from A000 to AXXX. You can loop through and add/remove A000, A001, A002 etc.
If you are going to do it one by one, you might as well start with only abilities higher maximum levels. Those cause higher spikes when they first appear in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.