• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Preloading Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
a hero is built normally. it is selected from a list in a tavern, or an altar.
the hero has custom spells? the spells should be preloaded?
which spells must be preloaded? the dummy unit spells? the base hero spells? both types?
what about a hero that is placed on map on the terrain. you get the hero by selecting him.
now doesn't preloading change? if we preload base hero spells will we not be preloading them twice, thus increasing loading time?

but also, each hero placed on map on the terrain can potentially add to loading time, correct? if in case of we want to only load after heroes are selected, which saves on loading time, but makes for an irritating lag pause. in that case, it is simpler if we don't want irritating lag pause to keep heroes on the terrain on the map.

but the main question is that should we not preload via trigger those hero spells because placing the hero should load the spells, or doesn't it? the hero has not learned the abilities yet, so i'm thinking that the abilities haven't been preloaded. i'm just not sure if i'm slowing down the game by double preloading.

all this might not seem such a big deal to some people but i guess i'm looking for ways to cut down on the loading time for my map for testing. but i guess a faster computer would be an easier solution.

Level 15
which spells must be preloaded? the dummy unit spells? the base hero spells? both types?

You should preload any spells that you add/remove via triggers.

but the main question is that should we not preload via trigger those hero spells because placing the hero should load the spells, or doesn't it? the hero has not learned the abilities yet, so i'm thinking that the abilities haven't been preloaded.

The abilities are loaded before the hero learns them.

On a personal note, I have never been bothered by long load times while I am bothered by in-game lag.

GL ^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.