• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Post your CUSTOM UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
You just put another dialog object on top of the button?
You can not put an image in a image with a trigger, but you can put a image ontop of another image :p

Is this a guess of yours, or have you (or anyone) really got that too work. When I found out that images cannot be called through "Item Used" Event, I tried putting a picture over it, but it didn't seem to work. It was in the first patch with the Editor Included, it might have been fixed. Anyway, to answer my question, is it a guess, or have you tried it with success? :D

Level 17
Is this a guess of yours, or have you (or anyone) really got that too work. When I found out that images cannot be called through "Item Used" Event, I tried putting a picture over it, but it didn't seem to work. It was in the first patch with the Editor Included, it might have been fixed. Anyway, to answer my question, is it a guess, or have you tried it with success? :D

It is not a guess... You have a image of the thing you want on your button, and a button below it, and it is the button that gets clicked. It is logical, and it does infact work. I was probably the first person around here to share my custom UI and i have done alot of things with dialogs already.
And item used does not work becouse you do not use a image when you click it, it only respond to dialog items that can be used as far as i know.

Put a button on top of your image and make it transparent.
Not needed, just but the button behind.

Just make sure that you do not have a tooltip set for the image or you wont be able to click through it. Just set the tooltip on the button behind insted.

Level 16
so, did some rework on my UI (found here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/starcraft-ii-408/project-power-chaos-rpg-preview-165326-post1561217)

attachment.php

attachment.php

I did some graphical work on my actionbar. I also have a new minimapborder I will implement (ready done, but not implemented). Also one can now access missions/inventory/attribute frames via buttons in the bottom right cornor :)

Level 17
Just thought it would be fun to mention it, but more then 3/4 of the interfaces looks like they are all based completely on the WoW interface, almost no one is trying to be original, including me ^_^ (But i can just say that i was first, becouse i was the first one to upload pictures of a "wow UI" :p)

Level 19
Just thought it would be fun to mention it, but more then 3/4 of the interfaces looks like they are all based completely on the WoW interface, almost no one is trying to be original, including me ^_^ (But i can just say that i was first, becouse i was the first one to upload pictures of a "wow UI" :p)

Call it a "wow UI" but as far as Ive played RPG's I've always seen UI's like that. Warhammer Online, World of Warcraft, Aion and Unleash the Fury (which only costed 30 euro and no fee per month and was broken after 1 month so nobody could get online anymore because the makers were out of money -_-).

The only 'RPG' I actually know withoud an UI that looks compareable to these is Runescape. Nuff said:p

Level 7
Well I hope mine is a little bit more original. (Yes I know camera shit looks like the survival thing)

Some self-created textures too.

Attachments

• CustomUI12323453.PNG
    CustomUI12323453.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 198
  • Cust22omUI12323453.PNG
    Cust22omUI12323453.PNG
    781.7 KB · Views: 163
Level 17
Call it a "wow UI" but as far as Ive played RPG's I've always seen UI's like that. Warhammer Online, World of Warcraft, Aion and Unleash the Fury (which only costed 30 euro and no fee per month and was broken after 1 month so nobody could get online anymore because the makers were out of money -_-).

The only 'RPG' I actually know withoud an UI that looks compareable to these is Runescape. Nuff said:p

Have you ever thought of the fact that most of the people is using a interface like that just becouse of wow? Just asking you know..
Many gaming companies even say that they infact did get inspired of the wow ui, so no, i am not talking bullshit becouse i play wow.
And i dont really know what you are talking about.. Aion looks nothing like the ones in this thread? Aion only have one big bar as far as i know.
Now people have the units in the upper left panel. Minimap in the upper right, the spell bar on the bottom, most people have experience bar above the spell bar, and a few har buttons on the bottom right, just like the bags.

So no, it does not look like all games.. It looks almost indentically to the wow interface.

well it's a nice UI , why not use it? ;p

It is a nice UI, but it will get boring if everyone will have the same UI, and you know that for a fact.

Level 10
Tis attached to my map's thread, but here is a link to it:

82256d1274387571-marine-arena-name-not-set-ui-.png

It probably won't get TOO much more stuff on it.

I want to keep it sleek and shiny!

The dark trapezoid is where the health bar of the unit will go, and it will be between the black part and the rest of it.

Level 19
Have you ever thought of the fact that most of the people is using a interface like that just becouse of wow? Just asking you know..
Many gaming companies even say that they infact did get inspired of the wow ui, so no, i am not talking bullshit becouse i play wow.
And i dont really know what you are talking about.. Aion looks nothing like the ones in this thread? Aion only have one big bar as far as i know.
Now people have the units in the upper left panel. Minimap in the upper right, the spell bar on the bottom, most people have experience bar above the spell bar, and a few har buttons on the bottom right, just like the bags.

So no, it does not look like all games.. It looks almost indentically to the wow interface.

Sorry if you got offended by my post. That wasn't my intention:)
Anyways uhh. You're right that most games that got created after WoW made UI's that looked a littlebit similair to WoW to not confuse players too much because game makers like Warhammer Online tried to get many WoW players to step over. About the Aion UI. You had 2 options there, 1 of them with health bar attached to spellbar in mid and the other one to make it look a bit more like WoW (health bar upper left).

All I'm trying to say it's really understandable people are going for an UI that looks like WoW UI because people that have experience with RPG's like you in this case (you play wow right?) would find those UI's better for gameplay then entirely new UI's because for some reason (unless you had many addons) you will always automatically blink your eye to the spot your health frame was back when you played a real RPG like WoW. If I would play SC2 with an UI with my health bar in down right corner I would keep on dying for the first few hours. Not a prob if the game is good. But the tention to stop playing is higher if you can't get used to the UI so why not take that problem away if you can? Originality or User-Friendly Gameplay for people in the first few hours of trying out the game? Tough choice, but good to think about it!

Once again, no offence LTGH, I should've been more clear that the post I previously posted wasn't ment to troll you:D

Level 16
actually I did nearly each part of my new ui on my own, including the creation of new ui parts...

LTGH: Actually I think you have no clue of how general RPG uis look like, you just see "WoW" UI since you are playing this game, but nearly each good RPG has a similar UI, my UI for example is more inspired by Dragon Age / Mass Effect which will get more obvious when I release pictures of the inventory.

I think it's ok to create a similiar looking UI. What's more important is if one creates the textures on his/her own. Many people use textures you used for your UI which you released, that's more the point ... there is less individualism among the appereance , so I would recommend you all that you start doing your ui stuff on your own, of course there are some exceptions, who allready started doing that :).

actually I did nearly each part of my new ui on my own, including the creation of new ui parts...

LTGH: Actually I think you have no clue of how general RPG uis look like, you just see "WoW" UI since you are playing this game, but nearly each good RPG has a similar UI, my UI for example is more inspired by Dragon Age / Mass Effect which will get more obvious when I release pictures of the inventory.

I think it's ok to create a similiar looking UI. What's more important is if one creates the textures on his/her own. Many people use textures you used for your UI which you released, that's more the point ... there is less individualism among the appereance , so I would recommend you all that you start doing your ui stuff on your own, of course there are some exceptions, who allready started doing that :).

Hmmmm this is true.... All UI Systems look the same... Wow is leaked to guild wars. Warhammer and so on.
But however, jagex the makers of runescape took it to a complete new level. With never before seen, UI layout.
Starcraft II allows us to create UI System, But you choose whether to add (CUSTOM) UI to it, But however it is still custom, do the fact that it is not in the game engine but instead coded by fellow members/Triggers.

I mean the amount of coding that it takes for someone to Code a UI is extrodinary,
Here is all the triggers i have used so far...
  • Init
    • Installiation
    • Camera UPDATE
    • Unit Dies
    • Global Variables
      • Hero
        • HeroExperience = 0 <Integer>
        • HeroExperienceMAX = 0 <Integer>
        • HeroLevel = 0 <Integer>
      • UI
        • Unit Bar UI Dialog = No Dialog <Dialog>
        • Unit Bar Health Bar = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • Unit Bar Health Text = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • Unit Bar UI Dialog 2 = No Dialog <Dialog>
        • Unit Bar Health Bar 2 = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • Unit Bar Health Text 2 = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • Unit Portrait = No Dialog <Dialog>
        • Unit Portrait Image = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • Unit Portrait ImageButton = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • Unit Level = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • Unit LevelText = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • Unit Name = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • UNIT UIBACKGROUND = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • UnitMenu = No Dialog <Dialog[10]>
        • UnitMenuButtons = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item[6]>
        • UnitAbilitiesBar = No Dialog <Dialog>
        • UnitBarPicture = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • UnitBarSpells = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item[7]>
        • UnitBarButtons = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item[9]>
        • UnitEXPBAR = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • UnitEXPBARUPDATE = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • Cooldown Labels = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item[9]>
        • UNITEXPBARTEXT = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item>
        • LevelUP = No Actor <Actor>
        • UnitButtonImages = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item[9]>
        • AttackCooldown = 0 <Integer>
        • EMPCooldown = 0 <Integer>
        • MissionWindowImage = No Dialog Item <Dialog Item[4]>
        • MissionsOpen = false <Boolean>
        • MissionWindows = No Dialog <Dialog[4]>
  • UI System
    • Health Bar
    • Health Bar Update
    • Unit name/level
    • Unit Picture
    • Unit AblitiesBar
    • ------- Buttons Clicked
    • Mission Clicked
    • ------- Buttons Clicked Abilities
    • Attack Button Clicked
    • Attack Button ClickedUpdate
    • EMP Round Clicked
    • EMP Round ClickedUpdate
Obviously some of them are folders and comments :p but ignore that :D

Level 12
Well it's actually surprising that people use wow UI, because it suck pretty badly. In a game fast like wow, you need to have the most important information, like your and enemys health, somewhere you can see it (near the middle of the screen, where your character is), not somewhere in the corner.
It is not as big problem in starcraft, the games will have to be slower (due to the guarateed minimal ping, but still, anything battle-related in a corner is a bad idea.

Wow, there sure are loads of great new UI's. I think most of them are pretty innovative, I mean, there isn't THAT much choice you have with originality...

Oh and EvilCrizpy, I like your Pictures quite a lot, keep working on it and it'll be killer :)

Thankyou,
The current updates towards the UI, in the space between last update is mostly. Concentrating on the MINIMAP and the buttons along the bottom and redoing the images of the dialogs.

Concept to actual, still WIP:
View attachment 82337

These are actually being done by a friend of mine, I am handing him paint-shop masterpieces, and he is giving me back some pretty good stuff.

These are looking good,
Think you could create me a few ? haha :p

Edit:
New video added to youtube with A preview of the UI system

Changes Made -
- Added WASD movement
- 3rd person movement added
- Attack and EMP added
- EXP BAR ADDED
- Portrait now moves
- Working damage and random exp per kill

Last edited:
This is the newest WIP, what you guys thinkk?
(The map is a mess, don't mind that)

It needs to be scaled up, but other than that, what you think?

attachment.php

Looks good :) +rep
Hmmm would like to see what it looks like wen its got all the stuff in it :D

Edit:
oh you got reputation disabled ;L
oh here is new Inventory Screen Dialog :D Under Construction -
82412d1274597597-post-your-custom-ui-character.png
82413d1274597597-post-your-custom-ui-evilsui.jpg

Attachments

• Character.png
    Character.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 481
  • EvilsUI.jpg
    EvilsUI.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Level 7
Here is an early wip of a frame I'm making.

Great to see many making their own

(lol sorry for wrong file type)

Attachments

• wipui.PNG
    wipui.PNG
    158.6 KB · Views: 182
  • random shit.tga
    2.4 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
okay, sry guys, i dont know how to work with the multiquote:p

1st ui: a little too many standard filters for me! the lower one looks definatly better and more fitting than the one in the middle, is it the aquarell filter or something?
also the marines portrait is squashed horizontally!

2nd i really like this one! but u have major bug in it! the lower and upper parts are not connected properly, somewherei n the laf they are off by one or two pixels! ;)

3rd well, its wip, so i guess yoyull go to work on pretty mcuh everything again...
so i dont know what to comment about!

okay, sry guys, i dont know how to work with the multiquote:p

1st ui: a little too many standard filters for me! the lower one looks definatly better and more fitting than the one in the middle, is it the aquarell filter or something?
also the marines portrait is squashed horizontally!

2nd i really like this one! but u have major bug in it! the lower and upper parts are not connected properly, somewherei n the laf they are off by one or two pixels! ;)

3rd well, its wip, so i guess yoyull go to work on pretty mcuh everything again...
so i dont know what to comment about!

Haha thanks :D i know... its a pain trying to connect them. anyways still working on that ;) added inventory slots to it later so will show you it when im done :D

Edit:
Here is updated Inventory Screen :D With inventory slots and Place for Item Image and details of item.
attachment.php

Attachments

• EvilsUI.jpg
    EvilsUI.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 345
thats looks really much like warcraft... the bagpacks i mean...
also the framing of the alphaed areas (the ones on the right hand side) are blurry!
and they are still one pixel off^^

Okay fixed the pixels and recoloured backpacks, add own new border to the Right hand side. None Blurry.

attachment.php

Attachments

• EvilsUI.jpg
    EvilsUI.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 302
The buttons is stills stolen from wows spellbar, or is that just me?

shhhh ;)
Keep ya voice down! LOL! :D Yeaa... well what im doing now is smudging it around abit into a Circle swirling shape.

Update:
changed inventory spaces and images on Information Panel.

attachment.php

Attachments

• EvilsUI.jpg
    EvilsUI.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Standard filters? That is all done by hand...

(look at the attachment, i needed like not even a minute...)
I didnt say it is filteres, but it looks like it!

Also try not to steal stuff, crizp, thats bad!
the source can be as good as it can, its still not your own work!

Attachments

• filtersanyone.jpg
    filtersanyone.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 120
Level 19

Also try not to steal stuff, crizp, thats bad!
the source can be as good as it can, its still not your own work!

He's just used the following stuff
Sc2 dialog
Sc2 Icon Border
Wc3 Bag Pack, and then smudged and redid it.

So its kinda using existing resources to create something else, it doesn't really matter as long as he gives credit.

Level 10

The dude who made them for me, when I showed him your post, said: "Wtf are filters?"

He had to look up that one you mentioned, lol

So no, not filters, I don't know if you are insulting him or complimenting him by thinking it was done with them.

So no, not filters, I don't know if you are insulting him or complimenting him by thinking it was done with them.

hmm.. neither i guess... i mean, they where invented for some reason, so why not use them, it was just a matter of evaluating how much work u put in there (or someone else)
i personally think its too spotty, buts thats just a personal taste, its looks useable nevertheless!

Level 25
Wtf are you guys saying?

You are saying "stealing" resources from Wc3 is bad?

First of all it is not "stealing", 2nd WHO the hell cares on this whole damn world if you grab blizzards resource just to use it through a blizzard tool in a blizzard game?

Seriously that is some real bs you guys are talking about.

Last but not least who said that the UI you make must be freehanded? It is his UI so stop calling it stealing, i personaly think the mix of WC3 and his own art rocks and i wouldn't have changed it no matter what these guys think.

Maybe this sounds harsh but it is the truth.

Edit:

If you think you are obliged to give credits to blizzard for using Wc3 textures in a GE map, you sir failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.