• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[WIP] - Custom UI (Need comments and suggestions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi.

I've recently been working on a custom UI for my proyect, "Monster Slayer".
At first, I thought about making a request thread in the Requests forum, but I realized that an UI it's surely a hard work. So I decided to make myself my own UI.
I'm using Photoshop to make it. Here, take a look:

wip01r.jpg

NEW 01: These days, I've been working a lot on the UI, and I've almost finished it. I really need comments on this.

wip04.jpg

NEW 02: Here, I've made some changes, considering your comments.

Here is the list of the changes I've made:
- I erased some of the sharp borders of the clock, to make it look more smooth.
- I changed the previous blue background of the ability panel with a black background, with thiner lines.
- I made the crystal balls less transparent.
- I made some changes on the minimap buttons, so all the buttons can lay there without looking too odd. One of them will be laying over the UI.
- Because of UI limitations (there are specific borders for the UI, and anything beyond that limits will nto appear in-game), a small part of one of the crystals would be hidden in-game, so I moved them down some pixels.
- One of you told me that the UI was a bit chaotic, incoherent. Well, this was true. I was mixing curved lines with ordered and structured plates, which was giving the UI a somewhat confusing look. So, I changed a lot of this plates with curved surfaces.
- I added some smooth blue lightning on certain parts of the UI.
- Other minor changes in brightness and shading.
wip05.jpg

So? What do you think?
For now, I've just made the time indicator at the upper part of the screen, the command panel, the inventory cover, and part of the area where the data of units is shown (in the middle).
I need your opinions about this. It's almost the first time I try around making textures and pictures, and I'm not sure this will have a good look ingame.

In order for you to make better comments, note that my original intention was to give this UI a feel of technology mixed with magic.

Note: I didn't realized at the beggining, but colored yellow, this UI it's just great for a Protoss race. XD

EDIT: I forgot to write this before, but I have two questions about the interface, and I would really appreciate if someone could help with them:
1 - In my proyect I don't even need the middle part of the UI, where the unit's attack damage, it's armor, etc... is shown. Will it be hidden if I draw the UI over that area?
2 - As I'm creating my own in-game UI, I also want to modify all the other parts of the game interface, including the cinematic borders and backgrounds, and the menu buttons and frames. But I don't know where they are inside the MPQ. Can someone tell me their paths?
I want to use the original interface as a template for my new one.

Regards

Last edited:
Level 9
Really?
Nobody's going to say anything?

Personally, I think that the UI looks good... But I think that I'm not the one who must judge the work. I can't really know if the UI it's worth all the time I'm spending on it if I don't receive some suggestions and comments...
:goblin_cry:

Regards

You've done some pretty good job with the shading there, but it looks more like plastic than metallic - unless it's intentional. The clock is too sharpened in my opinion and it sticks out. The inventory panel doesn't really look like it is a place that the icons of the items will be lying on, so you may want to try a different concept. The ability panel would maybe need a black background instead, thinner lines and less spam of that cross icon. ;)

Level 9
Thank you for the comments!

You've done some pretty good job with the shading there, but it looks more like plastic than metallic - unless it's intentional. The clock is too sharpened in my opinion and it sticks out. The inventory panel doesn't really look like it is a place that the icons of the items will be lying on, so you may want to try a different concept. The ability panel would maybe need a black background instead, thinner lines and less spam of that cross icon. ;)

I supposed that this will look more like plastic... No, it's not intentional. I just can't reach a good metallic texture. I'll keep playing around with it, however.
I also agree that the clock it's maybe a bit sharpened... Also, the ability panel is still in progress, so I suppose I could make some changes on it. Now that you point that, I think it has too much color. I'll see what can I do about that.

About the inventory... Well, I'm making this UI for my proyect, and in my proyect there's no need for the inventory slots, so I didn't made that part of the UI with the intention of having item icons there.
HOWEVER, if someone is interested in using this UI when it's finished, I can make an inventory panel.

I salute to everyone who's attempting a custom UI.

So, about yours:
How far do you think it is finished? Right now, it looks very artificial, like precisely cut out pieces put together. It doesn't look coherent. However, I don't know what style you wanted to go with. I think it would help if you posted an in-game screenshot soon.

Heh, how far do I think it's finished? It's still in development, I can still change almost everything. :)
Well, you say it's not coherent... Wow, I didn't see it incoherent when I was making it!
The intended style for the UI it's the same style the proyect will have. It's based in a world where technology has mixed together with magic. So, I tried to make something that doesn't look absolutely natural or magic, but doesn't look absolutely artificial either. Some kind of an hybrid.
I don't know how to make it better, however. Do you have any idea to make it look less chaotic?
I can't post any in-game screenshots yet. I'm still gathering models and skins in order to make good-looking cities and characters with the style I need.

I really appreciate your comments! I'll play around with your suggestions, and update the changes.
Please, it would be great if more people comment on this.

Regards

NarGalloth said:
Do you have any idea to make it look less chaotic?
Well, I don't know your concept, but I'd try and combine all the parts you currently have better. It's difficult to tell, really. I am working on a UI myself, and I had to redo 50% of it, because things didn't fit together. You'd have to try out some things and go with what you are satisfied with.

Level 9
This concept is awesome! I lol'd at the stickfigure on the Draft UI.

The pipes looks like it is taking, erm, I think it is against the rules to say what I am thinking. SO anyways. The pipes, yes, [ooooooo](o), it looks like this, you need to darken the part where the (o) receives the tube, [oooooo](o)

Also the capsules ( it looks like it ) in the middle needs a little more UMPH. it looks very transparent, make it a little translucent.

All in all, it looks great, but IMO lower down brightness it will be perfect!

-Da Fist-

I think the UI might be a tad too tall, there's a border that'll cut off the anything that sticks out if it is.
Oh my, a very good point... Stupid that I did not think of this. >_<

If you want to make sure if anything is cut off in-game, use Chrome's UI template. Though I'd like to warn you, it might take some time and experimenting until you place yours on top of it correctly.

Level 9
This concept is awesome! I lol'd at the stickfigure on the Draft UI.

The pipes looks like it is taking, erm, I think it is against the rules to say what I am thinking. SO anyways. The pipes, yes, [ooooooo](o), it looks like this, you need to darken the part where the (o) receives the tube, [oooooo](o)

Also the capsules ( it looks like it ) in the middle needs a little more UMPH. it looks very transparent, make it a little translucent.

All in all, it looks great, but IMO lower down brightness it will be perfect!

-Da Fist-

First of all, I do not clearly understand what you're saying about the pipes... Could you try to explain a bit better?
About the capsules (I suppose you're talking about the two big crystals in the middle of the UI), I'll play around with the transparency, and see if I get something good. :)
Also, the brightness is still not clear for me. Thanks for pointing that.

Oh my, a very good point... Stupid that I did not think of this. >_<

If you want to make sure if anything is cut off in-game, use Chrome's UI template. Though I'd like to warn you, it might take some time and experimenting until you place yours on top of it correctly.

Damn, I didn't expected this... I checked the UI template in the thread you posted, and I think that a small part of the portrait's crystal ball will be hidden ingame. I'll have to lower both crystals to solve this problem...
I hope it will not be too difficult.

Oh yeah, and this UI looks like it's made for Reign of Chaos, rather than Frozen Throne. Frozen throne had four icons then one round thing. You have three. Unless if you intend the last icon to just hover over your UI.

Now that you point that, I realized this a few ago, and I made a minor change in the UI. Yep, the last icon will hover over the UI. I'll lower the brightness of that area, so the icon will be clearly seen.

Thank you all for your comments. They are really helping me in the development of this interface! :thumbs_up:

Regards

Edit: I updated the main post with a new picture. I made some changes, following your advise. I made a great change in the botton right half of the UI, I hope I've not messed it up! I still, however, have the previous version of the UI, so any of the changes can be un-done.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.