• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Custom UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Yes, that is right.
Some people may have followed my progress here: http://www.udmod.com/showthread.php?652-First-Custom-UI
If not, well, i am currently working on a small project of mine to get used to the editor.
The map will be an MMORPG.
The reason for why i made this thread is to get feedback, and to know what people want.
Here is what it looks like:
Preview1[1].png
You can see the experience bar above the spell bar (the blue line).
In the upper left you can see my name (local player), level (01), health and mana.
In the upper right you have the minimap, this minimap does not function like the regular one in sc2, but more like the one in wow.
You are always in the middle, you can see what direction you are facing, and you only see a small area around you in a detailed map.
In the bottom left you will have the menu buttons, currently the first one opens up the future character screen. and the second one just opens up a test dialog that is the base for NPC interaction.
And now there is one button left, the one next to the minimap.
This one will open up the world map (picture below), where you will be able to see the entire map in detail, aswell as all players position and even what direction everyone is facing.
Preview2[2].png

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nnz5t1dtzmn
Version 7.5

So, what do you guys think? :)

Last edited:
Level 6
Wicked work you got there.

If I spend 15 mins with the UI triggers I rage out of confusion.
Great work!

Level 5
I am absolutely shocked someone developed such a professional looking UI so quickly. This thing looks crazy legit, and only speaks to the abilities of yourself and the editor.

That said... you really deserve some sort of award. Some of the best stuff comes out when there are no contests around to win.

seal-of-approval.jpg

Level 4
Really impressive, especially that minimap one.

I'm making RPG map and your idea of minimap really inspired me, well I'm going to try to do it myself first if not then I can look into your map on how to do that. :D

Level 6
It has always been possible to increase the map size beyond the limits. However, in Wc3 this can in some cases make the map unstable such as making it 600x600.

is it unstable because 600*600 cant be devided by 32 or just because of its size?

and how its possible to increase map size? in wc3 i used WEU to do it, however i couldnt change title/description and so on afterwards in the editor.

Level 17
You misunderstod what i was trying to say.
I am not talking about that actual map.
I am talking about the picture that shows up.
The map is still 256*256, but the picture of my map is 4x the size of the actual map size.
And like redmarine said, it is possible to increase the map size, it is just the editor that does not give us the option to make the map bigger.

Level 6
You misunderstod what i was trying to say.
I am not talking about that actual map.
I am talking about the picture that shows up.
The map is still 256*256, but the picture of my map is 4x the size of the actual map size.
And like redmarine said, it is possible to increase the map size, it is just the editor that does not give us the option to make the map bigger.

ah ok, damn it :(
why does blizzard do this? 256*256 is really small for an orpg imo ~~
are they any methods known to increase map size in sc2?

Level 17
ah ok, damn it :(
why does blizzard do this? 256*256 is really small for an orpg imo ~~
are they any methods known to increase map size in sc2?

It will be possible to play "campaigns" online.
Like in wc3 you can play a series of connected maps alone. They said that it will be possible to play campaigns with others now, so you can travel between maps.
If this indeed is true and works properly, i will probably have a few connected maps as one big mmorpg.

Level 6
It will be possible to play "campaigns" online.
Like in wc3 you can play a series of connected maps alone. They said that it will be possible to play campaigns with others now, so you can travel between maps.
If this indeed is true and works properly, i will probably have a few connected maps as one big mmorpg.

ye i also thought of this, because it would solve the map size problem and the "max8 titles per map" problem.
but right now it doesnt seem to be implemented. and another question: is it really possible that you load a map only for one player, and then if a second player also enters this map his units are VISIBLE for the first player that already plays the map OR will it only be possible to chance the map for all players at once? cause otherwise its sensless and you couldnt really create orpgs.

Level 9
About the UI. The mana and health bars seem to be going over the character portrait, maybe tweak that a little.
I'm just wondering how you did that ability/exp main bar. Do you have custom UI textures and which one are custom?

Btw, since a lot of custom UIs are constantly popping up, I think people should make them easily customizable and implementable, then upload them somewhere as resources for all to use. Or if not complete UIs then partial systems, like that standard blizzard Boss Bar which is nothing more than a simple dialog. People should make things like their own Boss Bars, premade systems with custom functions/actions like Set BossBar Target Unit, ect, but with more features ofcourse.

Level 8
Yes you could play campaigns online, but when you have to change the map you have to change it for all players, so this still does not solve any of your problems about ORPGs >_> There is no way two players remain on the map while three others switch to another map... so basically it sucks.

Level 6
Yes you could play campaigns online, but when you have to change the map you have to change it for all players, so this still does not solve any of your problems about ORPGs >_> There is no way two players remain on the map while three others switch to another map... so basically it sucks.

yeah thats exactly the point. so why dont they just make at elast 512*512 with 32 titles possible? performence blabla, every mapper has to decide himself if its worth it. i mean it must be possible from the technical aspect or not?! they gave us already so much freedom with triggers, data editor, UI and so on but why always this doodad, mapsize and titleset limits? :(

Level 17
About the UI. The mana and health bars seem to be going over the character portrait, maybe tweak that a little.
I'm just wondering how you did that ability/exp main bar. Do you have custom UI textures and which one are custom?

Btw, since a lot of custom UIs are constantly popping up, I think people should make them easily customizable and implementable, then upload them somewhere as resources for all to use. Or if not complete UIs then partial systems, like that standard blizzard Boss Bar which is nothing more than a simple dialog. People should make things like their own Boss Bars, premade systems with custom functions/actions like Set BossBar Target Unit, ect, but with more features ofcourse.

It does not block the character Portrait, it just looks like it.
And the only thing on my entire UI that is custom is my mana bar.
It is a recolored version of the health bar.
The ability main bar uses something that i guess is from the campaign, and probably for a header or something.
And the exp bar uses the protoss loading bar filler and resized it + hided some parts of the image.

And for releasing finished UI parts, well, i am not exactly against it ;-)
I have created a guide on how i created my health bar on udmod.
It is insanely long and requires patience.
http://www.udmod.com/showthread.php?661-How-to-create-a-Dialog
I guess it is worth it if you take your time..

Level 6
You could still use the bank system to store character info between different maps tho.. >_>

that doesnt change anything. it all needs to have all players play at the same level etc.
for example if one player in an rpg reaches lvl 10 and has no more quests in map 1 he would like to play map2, but the other players still do quests at map 1. so you could load another map but then all other players would be f*cked, or you wait until all players are at lvl 10 and then change map, but then the first player has to wait

Level 9
Since there is 'no'/'very little' custom textures used for that, I think I could make a UI like that myself and get it to work, but since I haven't tried yet and I still have very little experience with the GE I'm not exactly sure if I would succeed.

As ideas for the custom UI templates:
- Menus. (example. The one in screenshots of Power of Chaos RPG.)
- Experience bars. (possibly with an auto-update system)
- Inventories. (different kind of arrengements)
- Ability bars. (classic wow, guild wars, ect. type number key 1,2,3,... system and others)
- Map systems.
- RPG Conversation or Chat windows
- RPG Quest Log
- RPG Quest 'Accept' and 'Refuse' buttons+ Quest Description+ Quest Rewards -system.
- . . .

Level 17
Since there is 'no'/'very little' custom textures used for that, I think I could make a UI like that myself and get it to work, but since I haven't tried yet and I still have very little experience with the GE I'm not exactly sure if I would succeed.

As ideas for the custom UI templates:
- Menus. (example. The one in screenshots of Power of Chaos RPG.)
- Experience bars. (possibly with an auto-update system)
- Inventories. (different kind of arrengements)
- Ability bars. (classic wow, guild wars, ect. type number key 1,2,3,... system and others)
- Map systems.
- RPG Quest Log
- RPG Quest 'Accept' and 'Refuse' buttons+ Quest Description+ Quest Rewards -system.
- . . .

Pretty much what i plan to do that.
- Menus
- Experience bars
- Inventories
- Ability bars
- Map systems
- RPG Quest Log
- NPC Comunication Dialog
- Character Information Screen
- Quest Tracker
- Unit Frame (The one in the upper left corner)

Orange = WIP
Red = Not in progress
Green = Done (but can still be improved)

Thats what i can think of right now..

Level 17
Amazing work you got there :)
how do you make the local minimap as you made it?

I took a picture of the map with the size of 1024x1024.
Then i imported the newly created map picture into the map (yeah, an imported file =/ ).
After that i created a dialog with the size of 256x256 and created a dialog item (image) to it with the size of 1024x1024.
The trick i use here is that even though a dialog item is bigger then a dialog, it can not show up outside of the dialog, so you will only see 256x256 of the full 1024x1024 image.
Now you have the actual local minimap, but it will not show up where you are.
So with help of some math and calculations you can make it read your position on the map and show up the right location.
And then ofc, there is the arrow in the center that shows where you are facing. i just anchored it to the center of the dialog and then calculates what direction my unit is facing (required a small amount of calculating becouse the arrow pointing wrong).
And there you go, a minimap that shows your location.
Keep in mind that it cant view any other unit but the unit you choose to display on the minimap with trigger.
I have still not added a feature to make other players appear on the map (i will do so later ofc, but right now it is single player :p)

Level 17
The maps code have now been modified to be MPI.
took about 2 hours only.
I will upload a screenshot of the worldmap soon (it contains 15 heroes owned by 15 different players on it.)
MPIWorldMapcoloring.png

as you can see it also show the color of the player so that you easily can find them on the map.
(some colors is hard to see, so i will probably add an option later that add some kind of glow around the arrows.)

Level 11
I took a picture of the map with the size of 1024x1024.
Then i imported the newly created map picture into the map (yeah, an imported file =/ ).
After that i created a dialog with the size of 256x256 and created a dialog item (image) to it with the size of 1024x1024.
The trick i use here is that even though a dialog item is bigger then a dialog, it can not show up outside of the dialog, so you will only see 256x256 of the full 1024x1024 image.
Now you have the actual local minimap, but it will not show up where you are.
So with help of some math and calculations you can make it read your position on the map and show up the right location.
And then ofc, there is the arrow in the center that shows where you are facing. i just anchored it to the center of the dialog and then calculates what direction my unit is facing (required a small amount of calculating becouse the arrow pointing wrong).
And there you go, a minimap that shows your location.
Keep in mind that it cant view any other unit but the unit you choose to display on the minimap with trigger.
I have still not added a feature to make other players appear on the map (i will do so later ofc, but right now it is single player :p)
Just wondering, but wouldn't you be able to just create a dialog image of the minimap then resize it to 1024x1024? Seems like that would be easier, because then you wouldn't have to re-import the dialog image every time you change the terrain.

Level 17
Just wondering, but wouldn't you be able to just create a dialog image of the minimap then resize it to 1024x1024? Seems like that would be easier, because then you wouldn't have to re-import the dialog image every time you change the terrain.

Becouse if you take the original minimap and make it 4 times bigger you wont be able to see anything on the minimap.
The originial minimap in sc2 does not have details and it is really small.
And i dont see a problem in just importing a new screenshot before i release a new version. People even took their time to protect useless maps in wc3.
It only takes about 2min for me to update the map anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.