• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Playable terrain from my campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
So as you can guess from the title I'm making a campaign.

I got inspiration for this from the game Torchlight, but I'm going to do it in a more story-oriented, TFT-Orc-Campaign-like manner. If you haven't played it, it's like an action RPG dungeon crawler sort of thing.

It's a story about Brann Bronzebeard who crashes his plane in the mountains and discovers some ancient Titan ruins full of troggs, cultists and zombies, ancient constructs, and all sorts of crazy stuff.

Here are some screenshots from the first level, The Crash:
Screenie1.pngScreenie2.pngScreenie3.pngScreenie4.png

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Not much space left for strolling, is there?

I don't actually mind the fog all that much; could quench it a tad I suppose if you want it to look a bit less like a steam engine gone wild.
The monotone winter pines never quite reached me though, doesn't really resemble a tree at all.

it's really really really bright. the lacking snow effects of wc3 just don't cut it to make that bright snow effect, it just looks silly. apart from that, it just all kind of melds together in a kinda bad way, there's no real area for you to look at and see anything different, it's all so similar :<
really void you were doing this kind of terrain like 3 years ago, shouldn't you be making something more original!

Level 36
The brightness is actually far less intense in-game. But I do have the intention of making it seem like a white-out blizzard, so bear that in mind I suppose.

Also, the parts I screenshotted are from the cinematic where he is flying, so yeah there's not much room for walking. I'll upload a few more of the road you end up walking on to get to the main entrance of the dungeon.

really void you were doing this kind of terrain like 3 years ago, shouldn't you be making something more original!

Like what? I want a classic feel :/

Level 36
I have, the textures look awful. I kinda like the icy rocks, anyways, because of the snow on the top -- it's really useful!

Here's a screenshot in-game, I tweaked the fog to be a little darker (from 255/255/255 to 200/200/235), and cleared out some of the clutter. I like the way this is shaping up.

Attachments

• Screenie5.png
    Screenie5.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 240
Level 51
I have, the textures look awful. I kinda like the icy rocks, anyways, because of the snow on the top -- it's really useful!

Here's a screenshot in-game, I tweaked the fog to be a little darker (from 255/255/255 to 200/200/235), and cleared out some of the clutter. I like the way this is shaping up.

See? It looks awesome. I knew I was right :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 36
Cool! (literally) haha...

anyway, talking about TFT-orc-campaign like, you mean this would be like Rexxar's campaign?

Yessir. Except with much less faction warfare sort of stuff... really it'll be most like the first (two?) missions of that campaign where you roam around, kill stuff, do quests, and go into dungeons.

I guess what'll be most similar is the gameplay style; I'm going for a really classic Warcraft 3 feel. The hero skills will be organized similarly to those in the campaign, although I'm thinking of allowing players to choose between 3 paths of abilities. Etc.

Also, does anyone know where I can find some really good stone building blocks? Stuff that looks kinda like the inside of Ulduar in WoW? I like the models Keiji used in his last terrain, but I'm gonna need more than that for the different levels.

Level 36
Here are a few more; the two caves are part of one dungeon, in which you'll be able to walk through the bottom of the crevasse shown in the second screenshot and be able to see the light from above.

Attachments

• Screenie6.png
    Screenie6.png
    3 MB · Views: 108
  • Screenie7.png
    Screenie7.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 155
  • Screenie8.png
    Screenie8.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 140
Level 36
Also, does anyone know where I can find some really good stone building blocks? Stuff that looks kinda like the inside of Ulduar in WoW? I like the models Keiji used in his last terrain, but I'm gonna need more than that for the different levels.

You could try the "Moria" doodads from the UTM, tinting them and shaping them around, using them creatively may make for some nice results.

Part from that, and anything already said in this thread, I love to see you working with the editor again, and I am looking forwards to this campaign :)

Status
Not open for further replies.