• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My PLAYABLE terrains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
This terrains are just so epic , and I am willing to see it with the w3 and walk by them...
And to agree with you the ice terrains is the best.
Hope one day I ll be good as you =D

you need to work on the actual terrain
your doodad work is pretty good but your height, terrain variation, all of that, just seem extremely jagged in the case of height and pretty random and often boring in the case of the tiles.

just wondering, is the castle made of realtex pack stuff or something else? doesn't look all too much like it and i haven't seen any screens of that kind of rock wall

Level 13
Thanks

Height Varitation
Terrain and height varitation, first time I must ask what the heck, I guess those pics are then pretty bad because if you can't see height varitation there then something has gone wrong.

Tile
Boring, you mean because there is no tile varitation? In what terrain? If you mean Castle Shepherd, then I gotta say I'm not going to do anything about it because it's meant to be that way, because it is a castle, built by mankind, its floors aren't supposed to be bunch of random tiles.

High Resolution Textures
Yea, those textures are made by me. And I'm not gonna share any my stuff.

you misunderstood me; the height variation isn't non-existant, it's very jagged and prominent in times is what i mean. especially your cliffs (last picture of frozen castle). actual variation beyond the extreme differences in your pictures is pretty lacking too

the outdoors tiles of the castle shepherd are boring seeing as tile variation beyond the 2 tiles is virtually nonexistant. using grass models on top of a single tile, with varying models, isn't a very good replacement either.
the variation on the orc fortress seem like a random bunch of tiles just chucked together, you need to chose them far more carefully to find a good fit. for example, one kind of dirty grass/grassy dirt is usually more than enough

Level 13
you misunderstood me; the height variation isn't non-existant, it's very jagged and prominent in times is what i mean. especially your cliffs (last picture of frozen castle). actual variation beyond the extreme differences in your pictures is pretty lacking too

Jagged and prominent, maybe gonna fix that if I'm interested.
Last picture of frozen palace, you mean that mountain? Yes it's damn plain, see that WIP word there.

the outdoors tiles of the castle shepherd are boring seeing as tile variation beyond the 2 tiles is virtually nonexistant. using grass models on top of a single tile, with varying models, isn't a very good replacement either.
the variation on the orc fortress seem like a random bunch of tiles just chucked together, you need to chose them far more carefully to find a good fit. for example, one kind of dirty grass/grassy dirt is usually more than enough

Castle Shepherd's village
And again, wip. I guess I should make second grass skin, bit darker one.
I see what I'm gonna do with that village, I don't like it very much...

Forest
I'm pretty much sure I won't change anything from it soon. I make it better when I make it high res and I won't make 'em soon.

Thank you for all this critique, I'm really glad that even someone come and doesn't say "Omg 1337 h4xorz terrain yeah".
It's like first time in this thread that someone comes and tells me where I can imporve :) Thank you.

Level 10
Are the terrains efficient for playing? I mean, I don't have any doubts that they ARE playable, but with a million little things happening and once and million models (some high-res, some not), would these maps make for good actual games?

Level 13
I don't really know how can these.. erm.. weaker computers play 'em, no damn idea. But at my computer they work really good.

But yeah, I don't know are these ever gonna be released in any map/campaing or such a thing because project is bit frozen ( dead )

Last edited:
Level 13
No noob questions at all, I had that stair problem too when I started to terrain.

Question number 1

With lot's of invisible platforms, it's easy but bad way because when your unit walks on those stairs it looks like little bit laggy. Or you can make slope with hill making tool ( or what ever it was ) in terrain palettte and then just put those stairs doodads.

Question number 2

Naah, I don't know any qustom sky-box sites. But they can easily be made with little cnp or drawing

Level 10
where do I download? Or could you provide a credit list for your models if the map isn't open source/done yet?
What I really need is the house models and the terrain textures. Plus please tell me how you got the wall to work, I really need to make walkable walls for my Bships game...

Level 13
Trying for the whole abyss-like look you've got going in the frozen palace "inside" pic. Is that just boundary and fog or is there any other secret, cause yours looks way better than mine (chocker, eh?):wink:

Fog is black in that place, but it doesn't have anything to do with that abyss.
There is daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn many daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn big smoke smudge models there, they make that effect :) And then there is those big light blue Glow doodads to give that cold feeling.

Level 1
I'd love to try out one of those maps. They look very good. That waterfall's amazing imo.
I <3 The Ice fortress. Probably one of the best terrains I've ever seen.

Great job! I'd love to see more stuff from you ;)

Level 13
Can you please send me map? :D I need to see how it ticks. the walls anyway. Or could you tell me how you made the walls pathable and the bridge trick? Never managed to get bridges to work.

Can't give you a map, they are pirvate property :p

I'm not really good to explain how to make those bridges, but basically it's just pathing blockers + invisible platforms. Like ->

P = Pathing Blocker
i = Invisible Platform

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

You just need to make it like that, and then with Ctrl + Pg Up ( or with Pg down... ) put 'em in air. And of course add doodads to make it visible bridge because invisble platforms and pathing blockers are invisible :p

And Pathed walls are made with pathing blockers.

I really suggest you to check this tutorial about pathing by Dr. Boom.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
There is daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn many daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn big smoke smudge models there, they make that effect :) And then there is those big light blue Glow doodads to give that cold feeling.
You've been a big help. The "fladdermasken" sends his regards :smile:

Level 10
Right thanks. So is this for your own map? Or working on some big project? Probably going to be an RPG from the looks of things. Should be great. Hope you have an open source version (without save codes of course) for newbs to learn from once its out in say.... 20 years. Anyway, placing pathing blockers one by one seems a little... extreme don't you think? For an epic sized map that is going to burn through doodads so fast. And could you explain the invisible platform part? Is there any way to raise or lower stuff in WE? Sorry I'm rather noob when it comes to terraining. Only my second major project so far, my first didn't involve much terrain.

Level 13
Right thanks. So is this for your own map? Or working on some big project? Probably going to be an RPG from the looks of things. Should be great. Hope you have an open source version (without save codes of course) for newbs to learn from once its out in say.... 20 years. Anyway, placing pathing blockers one by one seems a little... extreme don't you think? For an epic sized map that is going to burn through doodads so fast. And could you explain the invisible platform part? Is there any way to raise or lower stuff in WE? Sorry I'm rather noob when it comes to terraining. Only my second major project so far, my first didn't involve much terrain.

Questiom # 1.

Own big project O_O , but it seems like dead by now. It was meant to be pretty epic RPG campaing but dunno....

Questiom # 2.

When you use pathing blockers, they use Trees / Destrcutibles, so you can have about 7000 in map. And use Large Pathing Blockers, they are a lot bigger -> you don't need to so much 'em.

Or if you have walls made with doodads and floor in front of those walls made with doodads, you can use this "Abyss" tile from Outland tile set to make those walls unwalkable.

I have used these both techniques but mostly pathing blockers, used that abyss tile only in Castle Shepherds cave.

Questiom # 3.

Yes, there is way to raise / lower stuff in WE. You just need to select stuff you want to raise / lower and then just press your Ctrl + Page Up ( for raise ) or Ctrl + Page Down ( for lower ) there you go.

I'm not good to explain how to use those invisible platforms, I suggest you to read that tutorial. I linked about pathing.

Level 10
Yeah I read it, answered some stuff but still confused as hell. Can I make the pathing textures as big or small as I want or are there still limits?

Also can you please give me a credit list of your models? Especially the village houses. I need those bad (do they have death animation?) and the bridge. Know any good wooden bridge I can use BTW?

Also about invisible platforms, how do I make it such that things can pass UNDER the platform? As in I want a bridge with the ability to pass under it.

Level 13
Yeah I read it, answered some stuff but still confused as hell. Can I make the pathing textures as big or small as I want or are there still limits?

Also can you please give me a credit list of your models? Especially the village houses. I need those bad (do they have death animation?) and the bridge. Know any good wooden bridge I can use BTW?

Also about invisible platforms, how do I make it such that things can pass UNDER the platform? As in I want a bridge with the ability to pass under it.

1) You need to research those pathing texture what are in game, they are the limits.

2) Err... All models are can be found from Utm, I use just custom skins made by me. Don't even think about getting my skins :3

3) Village houses are made from [Framework]- doodads what can be found from UTM. So no any animations of course because it's like about 10 - 30 doodad per house.

4) That bridge...? You mean which one? Bridge in Frozen Palace is made from doodads, it's about 60 - 100 doodads, I'm not sure. Bridge in forest with Orc fortress is about 40 doodads. Bridge in front of Castle Shepherd is about 40 doodads too. So they are all made from many doodads...

5) Dunno any good bridge models, I'd say build it :3

6) No, you can't have invisible platforms what can be passed under, game doesn't support "multilayer" ( or whatever ) movement

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
What scales are you using on the smudge and fog?

Level 13
These are all epic, Especialy Fort Shepherd, Home of paladins omg, you, beast! :d I love these, i wish i could terrain as well as you.

I'm glad you like it.
Fort Shepherd is nice only because of it's high res textures, I think. And it's bit monotone with height varitations in everywhere and there is lack of tile varitation in outdoors.

My personal favourite is still frozen palace because there isn't any high res doodads and it still look ok :3

Status
Not open for further replies.