• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Playable Terrain #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
LULZ-7.jpg

discuss. This is an ingame screenie, nothing special.

Level 6
That terrain is really good man i wish i could terrain maps that good keep up the great work, and keep making those playable areas lol

~4rankie~

Level 4
looks verynice. Can I ask wot are your fog values? And how much doodas can you have without lagging the game.?

Level 4
Although it doesnt have any fancy doodads.. I think the atmosphere is priceless. Red guy kinda ruins it though :D.

From an artistic point of view this terrain is really nice.

Level 34
Really good work. Pretty plain on the path, but the overall feeling I get is great. But... I think think you could do better.

Level 4
wow that looks great, im assuming the orangeness is that it is sunrise/dawn, the custom rocks and trees looks stunning, a real new fresh look, and that being playable is quite a good feat. Nice job

Level 34
I don't like how you spaced out the cattails. You should clump them in spots. The colors seem to clash to me. I don't like how green the grass doodads are. I think you should just take a tiny bit of green out. Also tinting the water I think would be a good improvement. The sky would naturally tint the water (try pale orange).

Really good work though. I love the entrance to the cave/mountain thing. Where's you get those rocks? wc3c?

Level 4
I made trees doodads so they dont suck memory as widgets, and I made them have proper extents

Looking nice so far.. erm Could you explain what you just sayd? Proper what and arent trees normally a doodads?. w00t

No, trees are NOT doodads, they are DESTRUCTABLES (which fall into widget category), and as such, they have variable assigned to them as well as life. Since it has all that, putting 18k destructables is not a very good idea. Placing doodads instead is much better.

Extents are values when wc3 considers model 'out of bounds' thus making it disappear .

Anyway, here is an update

Attachments

• LULZ.JPG
    LULZ.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 196
Level 4
now that is something I call playable terrain..

1 more question how to you make them doodads?

I export all trees, then map them to use custom texture, then import then as "Trees\Tree0.mdx , Trees\Tree1.mdx" , etc, and then make doodad that has 10 variations and map it to this model : "Trees\Tree.mdl"

Now, since WE wont allow you to use "Trees\Tree" , as you should, you then have to export doodad data as the file (File > Export Doodad Settings)

After that, open it with some hex modifier and sarch for STRING VALUE "Trees\Tree.mdl" , then delete ".mdl" values, and then import doodad setting into map (File > Import Doodad Settings)

Then you have to go "Advanced >Replace Doodads" and just change destructable with doodad type.

That simple.

Level 34
1337 rock HT! Does the water look better? I can't tell. Too bad you can't add shine on the water, that would be the best. Ohh, I see a pointy raised terrain on the road in the first of the previous two, flatten her! Also the last screen looks awesome. Such a forest feel to it. Well done! +rep

Level 34
I can never get my water to tint well. Any advice? It's pink by the way.

Attachments

• Water Tint.jpg
    Water Tint.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 116
Level 25
@Gilles: Depends what the tileset is. Each tileset has their own water.

@HT: Water looks awesome. And although the rocks with the cave part looks cool, at the same time it looks kinda gay, no offense but I don't really like it very much. Abyss in a hill is a bit rare, especially during the day lol
~Craka_J

@Craka "abyss" is supposed to be a cave enterance lulz xD

What would you do to make them heterosexual? xD

@Gilles you should make sure that base tileset has LIGHT WATER (thats why I used cityscape) , and then CnP values from fog, it will look bit darker, but it should (not too much darker though)

In jassnewgen you can change tileset in WE ITSELF with NO IMPACT ON MAP except that it has one value changed (Tileset) and all tiles remain :p

Level 25
I know it is a cave entrance. But it just looks too dark for a cave entrance during the day. Maybe at night though, it should work better.
Looks clean though. Can't notice rocks being cut off by the black so that is a plus.
~Craka_J

Level 34
@Gilles you should make sure that base tileset has LIGHT WATER (thats why I used cityscape) , and then CnP values from fog, it will look bit darker, but it should (not too much darker though)

Thanks for the tip. If I make it a different base tileset, the dirt and grass tiles will have to remain! I can't change them and keep the water can I?

Level 25
Looks awesome. A forest that dense requires grass. Otherwise it looks a bit too dead. I'm guessing it is Autumn, judging by the fog and sky. Also the dirt tiles everywhere helps hint that as well. But there needs to be a lot more grass in your map. I tested that RPG of yours last week I believe and it needs a lot more grass. Otherwise, (Although the doodad-placement and terrain layout is good) it will look like it was terrained by a noob... tileset wise.

Looks great so far though. Keep it up man, looking forward to this later on when the RPG is complete. :grin:
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.