• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Strategy / Risk] Planetary Domination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
PLANETARY DOMINATION
Created by Marshmalo

FkkrMHt.jpg

DESCRIPTION:

LORE: "In the deepness of space humanity has discovered a new planet rich in mineral and scientific potential. In response various corporations have descended upon the area in the hopes of exploiting and securing the planets riches for themselves. Far from the morals and laws of earth and driven only by their greed for expansion there is little hope for a peaceful resolution as the situation quickly escalates into all out surface warfare.

Early planetary scans indicate a cold and icy climate with a narrow temperate corridor across the equator, it appears most life is restricted to this zone. The only confirmed sentient life form are a primitive tribal race not thought to pose any threat to human expansion however strange gravitational storms ravage the planet and cause period disturbance in satellite communications.

The human corporations, in their desperate attempt to claim dominance over the planet first, may have missed the greater threat to their mission... A previously dormant alien species that senses the presence of new DNA and seeks to assimilate it into their own..."

DEVELOPMENT:

Beta testing on this map has already begun, a full public release is expected very soon, within weeks. The purpose of this thread is to get specific feedback on this map and how it can be improved, please post all issues here.

Some of you may notice this map recycles many of the resources in my Skyrim map.

Scroll down for Screenshots.

FEATURES:

Planetary Domination is a real time strategy game set in a sci fi world that draws inspiration from many sources, including Star Trek, Eve Online, Stars Wars and Starship Troopers. Players command one of many exploratory human corporations or the zerg like native alien species in a battle for supremacy over the planets resources.

Despite appearance the game is nothing like starcraft 2 and features a completely custom techtree which ranges from Drone armies to Clone Troops. Successful players will be those who can find and exploit the precious minerals on the plaents surface as well as develop their technological advancement to give them the edge over their enemies.

Of key importance to the human corporations is their Orbital Satellite, which orbits the planets and offers many benefits to help in your mission from surface scans to targeted orbital weapon strikes. Communication with your satellite is also essential for research to progress but the strange gravitational forces effecting the planet will periodically cause communication black outs with your satellite.

Heroes also feature in PA but are not trained like normal, instead you can choose to promote one of your existing clone troops to commander to lead your operation. Commanders gain XP like normal WC3 heroes but also benefit greatly from your technological achievements, some skills also require research before use. This means if you lose a high level hero late game and have to recruit a new hero stating at level 1 he/she is still able to make a difference in battle despite being such a low level.

Players have the chance to ally in game where necessary, however inter-racial alliances will not be allowed so Human corporations can not ally alien species.

Overall I hope Planetary Domination will be a unique RTS experience set in a visually impressive alien vista.

KEY FEATURES

-Custom techtrees for both Human and Alien races.

-Each race revolves around unique game styles. EG: Orbital Satellite for Human corps.

-High Quality and 100% original playable terrain.

-Under 8 MB, playable on Bnet.

-Custom sound effects and music.

-Impressive large scale sci fi battles.

SCREENSHOTS

Drone Mining Outpost:
7HP96qY.jpg

Tropical Equator Terrain:
ntjLDjk.jpg

Rocky Cliff Terrain:
wh450aQ.jpg

In-game Screen:
kcokiV8.jpg

Techtree showcase:
uzvewIl.jpg

FURTHER INFO:

-Planetary Domination has a focus on exploration and resource gathering. Rescources are spread throughout the map and you will need to discover and secure them in order to exploit them. Human players have the option of finding ancient alien technology left behind on the planet.

-The game is intended to start off quite slow, but the pace of the game increases late game as players get improved technology will allows for faster collection of rescources.

-Both factions have very unique techtree types, remember to read the descriptions otherwise you will get confused first time.

-Alien species are similiar to the Zerg in gameplay, they inhabit the planet like an infestation and are very difficult to completely eradicate. They are not as powerful as the humans due to the earthlings advanced technology but the aliens are very effective when swarmed.

-Each human corporation has an orbital satelite which provides very useful support for your ground troops. It can help in a number of ways ranging from scanning the planets surface for intel to launching devestating orbital Ion Strikes on your enemies.

-Humans can choose between using clone troops or AI Drones, both have their strengths and weaknesses. Clones require food upkeep and are vulnerable to organic weapons and disease whereas drones are suspectable to EMP attacks.

-The game is open alliances using the -ally command and then colour. But remember you can only ally players of the same species as yourself.

Credits:

Massive thank you to everyone on this site who's artwork I have used here, without these great models this map would not have been possible!

Created: Marshmalo

Art work credits: Evure, eubz, Kimbo, Callahan, JB_McKnight, DCrimson, CreatorD3292, WILL THE ALMIGHTY, Suselishe, Fingolfin, Tarrasque, Pvt.Toma, Cavman, kellym0, epsilon, Sellenisko, Markus3832, Marshmalo, Blizzard.

Last edited:
Level 6
Okay. I've only been lurking around and this map looked wonderful enough for me to actually comment.

Wow.

I've been waiting for maps with high quality, and seeing that this'll be having custom sounds, dynamic terrain, and awesome models, while still having less than 8mb file size... just wow. Looks like this'll be a map REALLY worth playing.

I look forward to testing and playing this. You have my support! ^____^

God Bless! Ciao~

Level 7
Okay. I've only been lurking around and this map looked wonderful enough for me to actually comment.

Wow.

I've been waiting for maps with high quality, and seeing that this'll be having custom sounds, dynamic terrain, and awesome models, while still having less than 8mb file size... just wow. Looks like this'll be a map REALLY worth playing.

I look forward to testing and playing this. You have my support! ^____^

God Bless! Ciao~

Thanks for the support!

I love you :3

Can you finish this? .....:D

lol yes this one will definitely get finished, it won't end up like my Skyrim map, its almost finished now just need to add afew finishing touches.

Marshmalo, those terrain models... dude... share pls ;(

Well most of them are either from this site or wow rips I've re-textured. Most of them can be found at warcraft underground which rips wow models.

Level 7
Thanks for all the nice comments, this map should hopefully be released within 2 weeks, but I may need to do some more beta testing.

Are those starcraft 2 models? o_O

Yep, it contains alot of sc3 models but also a mix of halo/warhammer/and just some random stuff.

YES!!! FUCKING FUCK YES!!!
FINALLY someone makes a proper sci-fi map. I love the models, looks very alien. Let me know if you want some custom sci-fi sounds, i litterally have them all.

A special thanks to you Fingolfin, alot of these models are reskined versions of yours! I don't have anymore room in the map to add anymore sounds unfortunately.

I like the unit portraits, but the sounds do break the immersion. I can understand if you do not have the space for unit dialogue, but it should be possible to at least put some effect sounds in there. Really, i have laser sounds which take as little as 30kb which you can have. If you are using my 512x512 texture for the sentinel and the satellite thingy, i can help you rewrap it so that it requires a smaller texture. Other than that the game looks amazing. Even more eager to play it after i watched the video.

Played a game a few minutes ago, it was great!! Gameplay felt very unique. Here are some stuff i noticed though:

• The Science Array was named Satellite Array in the tooltip.
  • Many players seemed confused by the tech tree and what the buildings were for. The fact that you had to go and harvest araknor was also not obvious to most.
  • One of the native alien species guarding an araknor crystal refused to fight my troops, and instead just fled until it died.

On the plus side: amazing music! Outstanding visuals! I wish you'd replace that ugly laser sound though, as i said, i have many which are significantly better that you could have.

Level 7
Thanks its especially high praise coming from some of the hive major contributors who have posted here.

Played a game a few minutes ago, it was great!! Gameplay felt very unique. Here are some stuff i noticed though:

• The Science Array was named Satellite Array in the tooltip.
  • Many players seemed confused by the tech tree and what the buildings were for. The fact that you had to go and harvest araknor was also not obvious to most.
  • One of the native alien species guarding an araknor crystal refused to fight my troops, and instead just fled until it died.

On the plus side: amazing music! Outstanding visuals! I wish you'd replace that ugly laser sound though, as i said, i have many which are significantly better that you could have.

The Alien Ape things are kind alike that, they are unpredictable.

The game has a steep learning curve, I know that, but really unless I simply everything down there's no way to avoid that. I wanted the techtree to be different from the standard wc3 style both for humans and aliens.

About the sounds, I really don't have any space left in the map to add more sounds, without taking something else out. But I could replace the laser sound, can you send me it and I can see what I think of it?

By the way I hope you noticed some of your models in the map :)

Looking really good. Yet unit portraits as images and these warcraftish sounds really balances the atmosphere off in my opinion.

It dosnt compare to your amazing terrains but thx :)

will it have ai?

Given the costum way the techtree works putting AI in this would be a huge challenge, better to play against human enemies.

Level 19
Given the costum way the techtree works putting AI in this would be a huge challenge, better to play against human enemies.
I hope there is an AI for it :)

Is this already released? After I saw the video I really want to try this game the downside is I don't play multiplayer.

Last edited:
Level 10
Just hosted it on battle-net. Really interesting, great gameplay and great terrain. Music was suitable to gameplay, though i hated the part with vanila northrend theme. There are some empty spots where more dodloads can be placed, but im sure it's because of map's early stage. Overall impressing. Well done!

The Alien Ape things are kind alike that, they are unpredictable.

The game has a steep learning curve, I know that, but really unless I simply everything down there's no way to avoid that. I wanted the techtree to be different from the standard wc3 style both for humans and aliens.

About the sounds, I really don't have any space left in the map to add more sounds, without taking something else out. But I could replace the laser sound, can you send me it and I can see what I think of it?

By the way I hope you noticed some of your models in the map :)

I am attaching the sounds below, both .wav versions and .mp3 versions. I heard it is possible to replace internal sounds with .mp3s, as long as you give them the exact same name as the original file in the import manager (including .wav, the game will still recognize it). I threw in some extra sounds for good measure, some of which could be useful for building sounds, should you ever find the space.

Another thing i noticed about the game is that creeps give araknor in bounty... is it supposed to be that way? Got 117 araknor from killing that unclassified ape thing, which seemed like a lot to me.

What i meant about the tech tree being hard is basically stuff like that you don't start off with a resource drop-off structure, so the logistics bots being harvesters is not evident to most. Also, the fact that they need to be trained at the robotics lab, which is the third structure you get, means new players will have to mess around some before they realize how they can actually get their economy going. The rest of the tech tree is great, it just felt like this was hard getting into.

Attachments

• LaserMp3s.zip
    211.7 KB · Views: 48
  • LaserWavs.zip
    585 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.