• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Personal Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Screamernail

S

Screamernail

Anyone have it? I have. Fatal ones.

I'm just gonna say that I'm quitting my projects, hopes and dreams because I can never follow them. It's time for me to stop. Just saying.

This is gonna be put on the Something Else sub-forum but I don't care and no one here cares about me that's for sure.

I don't know how to respond to this, so here, have both responses.
  1. Man, i get you completely, I lose my will to continue doing anything I work on since it's pointless and I don't really believe in it. Everything that takes too much effort is a no go so I understand how you feel, it sucks :(
  2. What the fuck is wrong with you? Do you realize there are people who have real problems and here you're spouting some nonsense to attract attention on an internet forum because you can't do shit? Why do you self-pity yourself so fucking much, as if you have it bad? You feel worthless because you really are, and self pitying amplifies this, too.

Level 22
-DarkRangerAlice Why are you so sad ?
-Screamernail I don't know how to say it. It's just me wanting more comments
-DarkRangerAlice So you just seek for attention?
-Screamernail Yeah. I need to stop with that I know. But attention can do positive things.

All that I can say. Feels bad cause a lot of people here have really damn big problems with life or health etc. But thay are not posting things like this. I also have serious shit problems, but instead of looking for pity from people I try to leave something good after myself here. I wish you to think about it also.

Level 35
pepe-trump-victory-free-hugs-for-lefties-day.jpg

Wtf? You're losing yourself?! Some people here really have and had great problems and sorrows such as myself, but they come here and communicate with the others, create stuff, to get some positive energy. At least I'm like that!

Though I don't know if you have such problems. If you have, you might share them here, try getting victory. You can get serious sedatives here!

Good luck, man!

Level 20
I have a really hard time deciding whether this is a serious thread... But, just to be safe I'll treat it like it is.

---

If you're having serious personal issues, you should seek professional help from a psychiatrist or a psychologist.
You should probably also have a serious conversation with your family or friends, granted you have a good relationship with them.

As for posting things online, I'm not strictly against it - it's easier to talk to a stranger on the internet and yes, it helps to just get things off your chest, but... First and foremost, it shouldn't be a replacement for an actual professional help and secondly, if you are doing this, you should really try to provide as many details about your problems as you can.

I mean, every bit that you open up to someone is great, but remember that no one here knows you and we can only base our attempts of helping you on what you tell us. And the less we know, the less we can try to help. I know it's hard to open up and if you're not ready right now, it's absolutely fine - just come back when you feel like telling us more.

Level 19
Don't contribute to the hive. it is truly a fruitless effort. you won't get the appreciation you crave and you will often find people steal your stuff without asking.

if you are going to devote your time to anything devote it to yourself. create something you can appreciate without the approval of others. or go open source and add something unique to an existing project that people can truly appreciate.

the Hive will never appreciate true talent. they have an anarchy system that prevent anyone not in their clique, from earning any gratitude. they will mock you for what you plan to accomplish. they will tell you it is impossible... and then when you accomplish it they will say no one wants it anyway. it is extremely frustrating and you shouldn't make yourself a part of that

good luck and good bye

Level 20
And could you provide some examples to back up your claim?

Because my experience with the Hive has been radically different.

Whenever I look at the posts in Triggering/World Edit Help sub-forums, I generally see people trying to be helpful.

Whenever I look at the Map Development forum or map reviews, I mostly see encouragement, positive reviews or really constructive criticism. Any cool looking project gets support and praise - and if it doesn't look great, people simply tell the author what to improve, without attacking him or his project.

Whenever I look anywhere else, I generally see people being polite and try to discuss things in a civil, constructive way.

I do not consider myself to be in any "clique" and whenever I interact with Hive staff (since this is "their" site, it'd make sense they are in this clique you speak of), I don't get an impression that I'm being looked down upon or that my input is dismissed. Quite the contrary.

I just don't see why you would say something like this and thus, I'm asking you for some examples of your claims as perhaps I have missed something.

Last edited:
Level 19
And could you provide some examples to back up your claim?

Because my experience with the Hive has been radically different.

Whenever I look at the posts in Triggering/World Edit Help sub-forums, I generally see people trying to be helpful.

Whenever I look at the Map Development forum or map reviews, I mostly see encouragement, positive reviews or really constructive criticism. Any cool looking project gets support and praise - and if it doesn't look great, people simply tell the author what to improve, without attacking him or his project.

Whenever I look anywhere else, I generally see people being polite and try to discuss things in a civil, constructive way.

I do not consider myself to be in any "clique" and whenever I interact with Hive staff (since this is "their" site, it'd make sense they are in this clique you speak of), I don't get an impression that I'm being looked down upon or that my input is dismissed. Quite the contrary.

I just don't see why you would say something like this and thus, I'm asking you for some examples of your claims as perhaps I have missed something.

Yes all true, people are very helpful when it comes to providing solutions to boost their own ego... but when it comes to reviews not so much. You get the worst possible criticism here on the hive, and staff will actually troll you. Not everyone of course. I remember a lot of support from staff and a lot of understanding when you don't meet expectations, but those were only from the staff members who stuck with you on a project. the staff that passes by are always very vindictive and cruel. They write reviews that seem good and positive but when you reply they say, "No that wasn't a positive at all, I meant mind blown like 'Why would anyone ever post such garbage' I don't understand why you would waste your time on this map/tool/whatever'"

Then to the other extent you get a lot of approved works that when you yourself use/review/play it you realise that it isn't playable or up to scratch. These submissions are pushed through because the user is part of the staff or has done something to form part of their clique.

It isn't an environment that seeks to promote the best but rather to promote the biggest ego.

Yes all true, people are very helpful when it comes to providing solutions to boost their own ego...
You base this on... what? Your personal beliefs?

but when it comes to reviews not so much.

Do you realize how many resources there are on this site, and how little staff there actually is in comparison? And that those people aren't to be forced to do any of this, are not paid to do any of this, they all sacrifice their own free time, to provide a LUXURY to you? I have had models that have been pending for months, and I am a fairly well known modeler in those parts. I never once complained. My stuff is regularly rejected or sent to substandard when it actually is substandard (one of my icons just got sent to substandard because I have decided I don't want to work on it, and according to you I am the part of some clique).

You get the worst possible criticism here on the hive, and staff will actually troll you.
Are you sure you can tell trolling apart from others telling you to stop trolling?

I remember a lot of support from staff and a lot of understanding when you don't meet expectations, but those were only from the staff members who stuck with you on a project. the staff that passes by are always very vindictive and cruel.

Or maybe... just maybe... your project is not that good, you don't have much of any skills, and you aren't contributing much to the community as a whole? Ever occurred to you? Even remotely? That it's you that's the problem?

They write reviews that seem good and positive but when you reply they say, "No that wasn't a positive at all, I meant mind blown like 'Why would anyone ever post such garbage' I don't understand why you would waste your time on this map/tool/whatever'"

[citation needed]

Then to the other extent you get a lot of approved works that when you yourself use/review/play it you realise that it isn't playable or up to scratch. These submissions are pushed through because the user is part of the staff or has done something to form part of their clique.

Again, no examples for this. As far as we know, this is a conspiracy conjecture (let's not call it a theory) that exists solely in your mind.

It isn't an environment that seeks to promote the best but rather to promote the biggest ego.

So, what have you created that's "the best"?

You have literally uploaded the same map 4 (FOUR) times and it was given a review each time before being sent to substandard/rejected. The reviews posted on those maps are the same type of a review that all other maps initially get, and if you continue to work on the map more, you get a bigger audience, people are interested in it, and this goes for reviewers as well.
You're completely unaware of things you do and don't do. You don't realize it's your job to interest people in your project. The existence of your project alone, especially if it is mediocre and nobody wants to play it, doesn't warrant you get attention. It's the quality of the project. Which apparently, you didn't meet, and you feel hurt. And this is a luxury provided to you - nobody has to test and review your maps. THW provides that LUXURY.

You absolutely lack the ability to reflect on yourself, and me telling you this is again the part of some master plan to shut you down because you're not part of this "clique".

Level 25
Lordofchaos, you openly admit to being a troll, how are we to take anything you say seriously?

"Join me. become a troll. attention seeking is what we do, and it is not as dark as people make us seem. as a troll it is your job to disrupt conformist thinking, make people think outsider the box, make them see all the possibilities not just their own. join me"

Can we stop feeding the trolls now? Especially the chaotic ones need to get disposed out.

You want people to respect you? Stop being an ass. Urgh.

I want to have some positive feedback to help, but the visitor message in your page forces me go otherwise. I mean, there are better ways to deal with it than this. Seriously, get professional help.

Level 37
...and staff will actually troll you. Not everyone of course.
I'm going to make the assumption that this has happened in the past because I don't know anyone currently in the Staff that would do this. We all have extremely busy lives, and I don't see why any one of them would waste the little free time they have trolling people. Although, in the event you feel you are being treated unfairly by a Staff member, I recommend you make a post in Admin Contact.

Level 10
When I need help with triggers or resources or general War3 problem solving, Hive has been fantastic.

When the topic is literally anything else besides modding War3, the Hive community has been consistently toxic in my experience.

I don't know my way around enough to know if that's a problem with the staff or just the community, but I haven't seen anything being done about it.

Reactions: pyf
Level 19
What do you mean the community has been toxic? Do you have an example?

Also, I'm not sure how a problem in the Staff has to do with how a community responds to topics. We aren't your parents that tells you what to do.
I thought the staff was supposed to moderate the hive.... like everywhere to create a healthy environment.

though I suppose I'm not helping with that with my band record, but consider this

these stories wouldn't come out unless someone steps forward first. silencing them isn't the smartest move to make as a moderator. you are preventing the opportunity to purge the hive of toxic users.

I genuinely enjoy your company.... don't be another Dick staff member

Level 37
To an extent we do, but we still have to remember that people have the right to express their opinions.

I'm not sure how "silencing a user isn't the smartest move" is relevant here. I also don't recall any moment where someone in the Staff silences a user. Actually.. now that I think about it, I'm not sure what you mean by silence.

Also, are you implying that I was acting like a dick recently? If so, you can point me to it and maybe we can clear the air.

Level 19
To an extent we do, but we still have to remember that people have the right to express their opinions.

I'm not sure how "silencing a user isn't the smartest move" is relevant here. I also don't recall any moment where someone in the Staff silences a user. Actually.. now that I think about it, I'm not sure what you mean by silence.

Also, are you implying that I was acting like a dick recently? If so, you can point me to it and maybe we can clear the air.
you say that after silencing @jake
Kessl
er

Level 37
It's not completely hands off. We obviously want the community to handle it themselves, so we only step in if we feel we have to.

It seems you guys have this imagination that the Staff is watching every single subforum on this website. Contrary to popular belief, we do not. We see things through reports we receive and through our own personal activities in a particular forum. There are probably seven or eight active staff members compared to the hundreds of users we are supposedly "watching." Be realistic.

As I mentioned to many people before, if you have issues with the Staff, make a post in Staff or Admin contact.

Reactions: pyf
Level 37
If you're going to bitch about the staff, then be my guest. I'm not going to "silence" you for it. As I mentioned, we aren't parents trying to make our "children" pure. However, consider this: I just told you that the staff relies on people like you to tell us what is happening in the community. If you're going to continue to bitch about the staff not doing anything, while also making the statement that you are going to keep your complaints to yourself, you have bigger issues to deal with than the big-bad internet not treating you fairly.

Level 10
If you're going to bitch about the staff, then go for it. As I mentioned, we aren't parents trying to make our "children" pure. However, consider this: I just told you that the staff relies on people like you to tell us what is happening in the community. If you're going to continue to bitch about the staff not doing anything, while also making the statement that you are going to keep your complaints to yourself, you have bigger issues to deal with than the big-bad internet not treating you fairly.

That's fair. On the other hand, you just had several different people say they'd had problems, and your responses in order have been

1. I don't believe you, prove it
2. This isn't my responsibility (not your parents)
3. If this were real you'd tell us about it (ironic since we just did)
4. Complaints are just bitching
5. Double down on the not your parents remark
6. Get over it (the internet isn't fair comment)

So like, it's hard to take any of that as a sign that mods are interested in or would care about complaints in any channel. Certainly, after this thread, I'm not sure I see the point in reaching out to mods directly if this is what I can expect the reaction to be. And I'd expect somebody else reading this thread to have the same impression: talking to mods is pointless.

Which, again, if that's the mod philosophy then so be it. You all can run your site however you see fit. Hive is this weird place age-wise where we have adults in their 20s and 30s interacting with kids in their teens; that mix is bound to be volatile. I wouldn't want to mod that either.

Again, sorry to bother you. I'll leave this thread alone.

Level 37
I don't believe you, prove it
A very big assumption you are making. I obviously want to see what the situation is really like, and not the potential bias opinion the user complaining about the issue may have. It has nothing to do with not believing the user.

This isn't my responsibility (not your parents)
It seems you did not read the entirety of the sentence as there is zero implication of me claiming something to not be my responsibility.

If this were real you'd tell us about it (ironic since we just did)
Uhm when did I ever say this? Care to directly quote me on that?

Complaints are just bitching
There's a big difference between filing a complaint and bitching.

Double down on the not your parents remark
Read my response to point #2.

Get over it (the internet isn't fair comment)
Once again, it seems you did not read the entirety of the statement as there was zero implication of me telling you to get over it.

Last edited:
First of all. I'm going to make this clear. Chaos is obviously trying to bait reactions, and stir up drama. Like your typical troll. If it were up to me, he'd be gone. People that only come here to cause a scene serve no purpose, and won't be missed.

Second, ever since the last large batch of trolls like chaos were purged from our community, we've kept a closer eye on the staff. To make sure none made it into a position of power. The staff are to remain fair and impartial, and they do.

There are only two staff members I can think of that acted in an unbecoming manner, that weren't part of the aforementioned troll posse, and both of them have stepped down.

Level 10
@KILLCIDE: I'm not gonna argue over which words you used. It's kinda weird honestly that that's the conversation you want to have here.

As a mod, happening upon this thread where people were discussing poor experiences they've had in the community, there's a lot of ways you probably could have handled it. You could have stepped in to offer support, empathy, concern. You could have reached out to people privately to see what was up and if there was anything you could do to help. You could have lurked and taken stock of what people were saying, maybe brought it up to other mods to see maybe what mods could do as a group to address people's concerns. You could have even ignored the thread entirely and gone about your business; none of the comments here were addressed to you or any staff member directly, there was nothing that required your response.

Instead of any of that, you chose to come in and, not try to be helpful or make people feel more at ease, but just to pick fights with everybody who spoke up to say they'd have a negative experience. You chose to be defensive, to be dismissive of people's problems, to make us feel like it was stupid of us to even say anything at all. Every single comment you've made here has been argumentative.

You're a mod; if your goal was to make people feel more welcome bringing issues they have to mods' attention, your efforts in this thread have backfired pretty spectacularly. You've certainly given me the complete opposite impression: that if I have a problem, and I brought it up to mods through whatever channels, I should expect them to be condescending and tell me my concerns aren't important and that life's not fair and that they're not here to be my parents.

So after this thread, I can't say I'm likely to ever reach out to a mod with a problem in the future. What would be the point?

Level 37
Pretty sure my opening response was to open a thread in staff contact *shrug* well, you can't make everyone happy.

Anyway, you're interpretations of my posts are shocking. I don't think you know the difference between someone being defensive and merely saying their opinion. We're obviously not going to get anywhere if you keep either of those up. Glad to see that you plan on not being in contact with me!

The moderators job is to put an end to conflict and enforce the rules. They aren't here to make you feel good. They aren't here to be your friend.

If you want to be coddled so badly, log off. Because you won't find any safe spaces here. If you're that fragile, it isn't our problem. Nobody, least of all the moderators, has to cater to some simpering weakling.

Level 10
Glad to see that you plan on not being in contact with me!

And here's a perfect example. Which part of this is meant to send the message "Mods are here if you have problems," exactly?

The moderators job is to put an end to conflict and enforce the rules. They aren't here to make you feel good. They aren't here to be your friend.

If you want to be coddled so badly, log off. Because you won't find any safe spaces here. If you're that fragile, it isn't our problem. Nobody, least of all the moderators, has to cater to some simpering weakling.

lmao, it's not about being "coddled" or whatever the fuck. We're a bunch of dudes playing around with a 16 year old game. It's not like people are flocking to this community in droves. Recognizing when problems arise and working to address them so people feel like there's a reason to keep logging into this hellsite should be something mods give a shit about if they want the community to survive at all, much less if they want new people to stick around.

This attitude of "If you're having a problem, fuck off, we don't want you anyway" is baffling to me, especially since the whole point of this place is to collaborate with other people and work together to solve problems and make cool shit. The name-calling shit is weird as fuck. Why wouldn't you want the people you're collaborating with to want to keep collaborating? What's the upside in telling people to log off? What a bizarre attitude.

Level 37
I help an absurd amount of users a day, and I love doing it. I will continue to do so until I no longer have the time to do it. That feeling changes when I deal with stubborn people who are clearly just trying to waste my time. If you have no intention to settle something, then stop responding because you aren't going to bring anything to the table.

Level 20
If I may offer a suggestion as a former mod of a pretty big site - I think this thread should be locked.

First an foremost, the thread itself has already been severely derailed from the original topic and won't benefit the OP any longer.

Secondly, from my mod experience, nothing good has ever come out of a public discussion about moderation of this kind.
There's too many negative emotions floating around for you guys to reach an agreement and chances are that the only place this thread goes from now is even further south.

I'd also recommend that you guys all take a moment to relax and if @Jake Kessler and @TheLordOfChaos201 have any further complaints or suggestions about moderation, they either go to the Staff Contact forum or take it up with @Ralle or @Archian.

The attitude comes from you trying to pick a fight because one moderator wasn't immediately sucking your dick.

You're the one perpetuating things here. You're the one going on about something you know next to nothing about. You're the one being disagreeable. The onus is on you, and you're not even aware of that. By Lucifer's beard, man. You're dense.

Lets try putting it more simply.
22y981.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.